static cube on objects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxrod, Jan 29, 2016.

1. maxrod

maxrod Registered

I have a object with a static cube and as in picture it distorts really bad it seems what ever I do it still distorts and on some polys it repeats as if it is on another object, The Shader is in bump cube specular map add alpha reflect t1, I have tried it on other objects with same result rebuilt objects with no different result have it on another object and in a part of the model it is upside down uvws are correct way static is 100 150 00 tried changing everything but still ends up the same is this a engine problem?..

2. maxrod

maxrod Registered

Another picture on a different object, The box is one object and all Verts are connected but it looks from the reflection that the different polys are separate as if they are another object.....

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Looks like a smoothing problem to me.

4. maxrod

maxrod Registered

Smoothing groups have been done when I built the models but yes it looks that way because the reflection is reflecting individually in different polys, If you look at the arch on the trailer it looks as if the UVWS are distorted but they have been unwrapped to texture the trailer.

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Try creating just a box...no smoothing, so it looks like a box. Export with Max normals set. Don't put a normal map on it at all, or use the default (flat 127, 127, 255) normal map if the shader requires it. Are you still getting issues? If so, then it's likely an engine thing; if not, then it's likely your model.

6. maxrod

maxrod Registered

View attachment 19233
    Simple box no smoothing same as before in parts distorts, I think it can still be used in the scene just probably will have to bring reflections from cube map down, probably best on simple, plane or dome shape objects.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, I believe that's due to the way that they're handling the reflections, then. It's not a bad technique, but it's certainly not raytraced quality, either (which [almost] no game is). A minor 'artistic' crit: you could probably reduce the intensity of the reflections, anyway; it seems perhaps a little too shiny--more like truck has just been washed, rather than something that's been on the road for hundreds or thousands of miles.

8. maxrod

maxrod Registered

Definitely needs to be reduced it was just for the purpose to see the result clearly as this is probably the engine I can now move on as it will do, I think it works a lot better on a plane surface that is probably one of the reasons in the Joesville track that it is only used on the windows and there synergy (Handy to have gJed as it helps to see how ISI uses there textures, models etc.).