Random freeze/stutter

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by depor, Jan 29, 2016.

1. depor

depor Registered

Tried what you said when was going for a race today, but had so bad tearing and really tiny stutters (micro or nano stutters lol) and had to put the other settings, the ones from the player.json...nvidia profile ones kept it.

2. FuzzyFassbender

FuzzyFassbender Registered

After reviewing this thread what stood out to me is your comment "Ok, will try those, but cant use on Fullscreen, game crashes too often, in a league race its very worrying.". What makes you think rF2 is crashing? Are you getting error messages?
    If rF2 is really hanging/freezing (not really crashing), I'm thinking a background process/s is the root problem with your stutters, its this process/s that is taking focus, taking over as the foreground process. For example, I run my sims on an Ultra wide screen but also use a second screen for other things (browsing, process monitors, etc.). If I run rF2 in "fullscreen", as soon as I click/select something on my second monitor the OS or application I selected takes over as the foreground process/application causing rF2 to what seems like hang/freeze - but it is running fine I just lost a way to return it to the foreground.
    Because of this behavior I run "borderless" mode (Windows mode actually but without a border), so I can select other process/application without causing an issue with rF2. Again, my thought is another process/s is interferring with rF2, if in "windowed" mode you see this graphically (micro pauses, stutters), if "fullscreen" it is taking the focus away from rF2 and making it looked liked rF2 crashed.
    Also, I myself wouldn't run any of my sims from a system/boot partition. By default Windows creates the system swap file on the system/boot partition, and many times is writing to this swap file almost constantly depending on other variables (free ram mostly). I would either move the swap file or rF2 to another partition to separate - if you have another partition. I also use an SSD for my boot drive but in testing I haven't found much advantage to running my sims from it. It may save a few seconds in game startup but that's about it, not any advantage while driving.
    Maybe I'm way off base but if nothing else you shouldn't be crashing when running fullscreen.

ebeninca likes this.
  3. depor

depor Registered

What i meant from the "crash too often" is when i go back to windows to check something (messages, info about testing from my team mates, etc) sometimes when i get back into the game, the game crashes and windows gives me that general message that "rfactor 2 as stopped working etc". People told me that it has some kind of bug that ISI will work on fixing it seems and for now to use windowed that would work, and so far no crashes using windowed.

Also this freeze happens when im doing my laps, so the focus is on the game itself, might not be the problem, or might be i dont know really. Tried so many things that didnt work so i dont really have a clue, even tried after a stutter to check event viewer and had no problems reported.

As for the partition part. When i got my new parts, i runned rfactor on a partition separated from the system SSD and it gave me those 1 sec freezes, thats why changed it to the system SSD (1st thing i tried), but had no luck, they still happened.

Right now i have Windows 10 installed and im trying it to see if it makes the problem go away, last time i upgrade from 1 version of windows to another (XP to 7) it made my problem improve (from a system freeze and had to restar, to some sec freeze, this was on rfactor 1 using an nvidia graphics card), so lets see if this improves it, hoping so.

But if you have any idea on what i can do for it to go away (or the reason for it to happen), ill try it, if it doesnt disappear with windows 10.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

In my experience most of those alt-tab crashes are caused by third-party plugins, especially those that supply a modified d3d9.dll file (TrackMap).

5. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Windowed / Borderless is running through OS sync buffer which increases input lag, lowers fps and can also cause stutters and freezes. Use Full screen to get the best gaming experience.
    I doubt that there is something wrong with you OS. Problems you are having is Nvidia driver related issues. Driver which gives you best performance in rFactor2 is 353.30 and 353.45. Install only driver, no PhysX, audio driver or Nvidia 3D Vission.

6. depor

depor Registered

Ok, gonna try that.

It just happened to me again, and i went to see the replay, it even get it recorded on the replay the freeze i had, its tiny but its very annoying.

Will go for fullscreen, and if it doesnt work will install older drivers.

Im using the áudio driver for SimVibe, any chance that could be kept?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2016
  7. depor

depor Registered

Had no luck with older drivers, still happens. One thing that crossed my mind was, when using the game in fullscreen, when i go to windows to check things, sometimes when i get back into the game, the game simply crashes. After checking event viewer i saw that it problem was caused by d3d9.dll wich i think is used by trackmapplugin. Do you think the freeze issue might be related to the plugin and that game crash?!

8. depor

depor Registered

I also noticed yesterday that when it happened when i was on practice for a megane race, the car jumped a bit behind, but no one left the server at that point (also this jumping a bit back was recorded on the replay) so i excluded the bug when people are leaving the server.

9. depor

depor Registered

so, been testing without replays recording and it seem to have gon, but some minutes ago had another one with replays off....still not sure what is causing this problema...older drivers dont do the trick, beend messing with settings that didnt help either. Really anoyed but this thing as it may cause me some serious trouble if it happens on a wrong moment.

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Getting desperate with this problem too...

Trackmap is not the issue, rF2 freezes/black screen with a fresh install without trackmap installed...

11. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Is this still the case of the best drivers for rf2?

12. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes, 353.30 gives lower GPU loads, better fps and game experience then new drivers.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Does the link was meant to point to Display Driver Uninstaller v16.0.0.2?

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

15. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

16. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Thx m8

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I gave it a try, but tbh, i can`t see any improvement. I changed the nvidia profile to default, too and made all gfx settings ingame only.

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Did you follow steps below also?? If you are using Nvidia Inspector SLI Compatibility Bits 0x02D04005 (LEGO Batman 2, etc) gives you bit more fps and less flashing textures etc. with single card systems also.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

- rFactor2 video settings: Mode > Fullscreen - check

- Maximum pre-rendered frames > 1 - check

- Power management mode > Preferer maximum performance - check

to do:

- using Nvidia Inspector SLI Compatibility Bits 0x02D04005 (LEGO Batman 2, etc)

- Max Framerate":60

- Texture Sharpening":0

20. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I don`t follow you, what do you mean "-check" ?