Cool, everybody can test the current Beta release on steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceDoedel, Jan 23, 2016.

1. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

As Tim mentioned it is possible to select the rf2 version in steam. All version since the steam are available as promised.
    But their is also the Beta version available (right now build 1046). So everybody can test the current build.

I tried it yesterday. It works good, I didnt see to much difference, but I believe the FFB is a little bit stronger.
    Away, today I will try to switch back to the current release to play online.

2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Yes, this Steam only opt-in is open to anyone who wants to try out the latest test Build. Please keep in mind that this is a test Build. and you can opt-out and switch back to the Public Build at any time.

3. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Great idea to make test builds publics, very open-minded!

4. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Why is the "unstable release testing" section in the forum not used anymore? Is it because of the easier steam alternative?

5. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

FFB indeed feels a bit stronger, and FWD cars seem to behave strangely now, especially the Civic BTCC. But that might just be me.

6. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

Is it possible to have also for this beta release some information ?
    That would make it easier to test new features / bug fixes :cool:

7. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The best widespread access testing would come from an open mind and no placebo, leave the logs for the internal folks

8. Gevatter

Gevatter Registered

Still would be interesting what has changed in the Beta, and the community could test specifically for the new stuff.

9. Eddy

Eddy Registered

so the early adapters who didn't move over to steam are left in the woods.....mweh.....don't think i like this idea.

10. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

I wouldn't worry about it mate... public betas in the past had no bearing on actual releases anyway

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

If testing unstable and beta builds is "left in the woods" to you...well...XD

The steam update and version system makes it easy to rollback and forwards if needed. A build may come out for beta that might break stuff...if you were dealing with that through the normal windows setup, it can be a bit of a pain.

12. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

13. Eddy

Eddy Registered

You completely miss my point but whatever. Have a nice day

14. TJones

TJones Registered

I don't think they make something similar for the "non-Steam" users, would appreciate to be wrong here though. As Minibull said, its relative smoothly to switch between versions on Steam. Which also means less support work for ISI, compared to a "non-Steam" version.

This let me seriously consider to switch over to Steam. :confused:

15. boxer

boxer Registered

+1:(

16. Hakkifan

Hakkifan Registered

So, I have an issue with the beta. When I try to start rf2, it never actually launches. Steam says i'm playing, but it never opens, and it doesn't even show up in the task bar. Restarting steam doesn't fix it. The only way I can get steam to close the game is by restarting my pc. I have reinstalled rf2, removed my player folder, and all the packages, but nothing seems to fix it other than just going back to 1036.

17. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

sorry but i don't get the point which makes it difficult to install the beta to a different folder and use both installations as i like. i don't have to rollback anything because i never touch my original install.

18. TJones

TJones Registered

AFAIK beta version is only available over Steam. Steam alows only one installation.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

The ease of the roll-back functionality on Steam, as well as the valid assumption that very few users desire to have more than one installation, makes me think that this makes pretty good sense.

Just imagine the support nightmare it would be if tons of people started manually installing unstable test builds on top of their public build.

I know a lot of the "old timer" experienced users here are probably used to having more than one install. I can't however imagine that most new users would be interested in that. At the same time, it is hard to resist the temptation of trying out a new build.

Anyway, I think keeping this stuff on Steam is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Eddy

Eddy Registered

But that is just my point Hex. The new users will be on steam and able to test beta builds. On the other hand the "old timers" that didn't roll over to steam for whatever their reason are left with only the stable and not in the opportunaty to test beta anymore