Going to 32GB RAM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jan 18, 2016.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, I can do outrageous things with big Photoshop and 3dsMax files open at the same time. Well, I don't so much do outrageous things with them, but I find it outrageous that I can have them open at the same time. It's not difficult for me to have 2-3 Ps texture files and a track loaded in 3dsMax, and be in the 20-30GB range (out of 32GB total). Just the sheer capacity to have so much data loaded at once. Fantastic. My previous computer with 8GB just couldn't do it. One of my new working files for Longford gravel textures is 19.4GB file size!!

Actually, what's outrageous is that the rF 3dsMax plugins are only 32bit :mad: (had to say it - it cripples my productivity on bigger files - but that's another story, told elsewhere :p)

2. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Definitely one of the things that needs to be updated. Those plugins are funky at the best of times without having to use them whilst 3DSMax 32bit is trying not to wet the bed.

To think, first computer upgrade I ever did was expanding from 32MB of ram to 64MB. SDR100 that I immediately overclocked to SD133 (and hell, imagine a 33% overclock without even a voltage change or extra cooling in this day and age)... the performance difference blew me away. Used to run 3DS on that ****-heap too...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2016
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Welllll guess I'll take the next step here... 1/2 meg to 1 meg upgrade on an Amiga 500.

Who's next? lol

4. Tony H

Tony H Banned

my 1st a 286, ran at 9mhz, turbo was 12mhz, no hdd, played games off 5 1\4 " floppy discs in 4 colour cga monitor of about 12". also think it had 512k, lol, this was when I was 13, 1989-90. Damn thing set me back to, like $800 new my parents didn't want it.

5. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Still a mystery how someone can need 13+GB for rFactor 2 - my own usage values normally also range between 2 and 4 gigabytes.

Also, I note some people here think that more RAM will give you more FPS, whilst in reality it would only give faster loading times(if you're on the paging file already because of low RAM).

6. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

pfffft
    zx81 here
    16k ram expansion pack
    still got both

7. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

You are right. But again, these stutters and frame drops are due to load events, and not directly because of lack of GPU/CPU rendering.

8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Pfft you too, the first machine I played games on had 4k of core store. Hamurabi on a PDP-8.

<waits to get out-pfft'd by "I had to tune the mercury delay lines before I could play Noughts and Crosses on Colossus">

Correction: it was EDSAC

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I sorry for being harsh but the guy should have put a big proviso at head of article and done a single Monitor Single GPU test with the same tower.

Years ago I got bashed for not supporting

SSD's at the sake of other parts.
    I still say a Black Caviar can handle a RF2 file good enough unless you some kind of freak wants everything snap, snap hehehe
    I mean pete's sake you can adjust your seat, headphones, dash out put the kettle on, feed the cat, do a 100 things as a track loads.

Performance parts for Overclocking at the sake of a faster GPU.

More then 8GB of ram and/or faster clockspeeds ( I always stated 1920 RES only )

Unless I am mistaken that is still the most used gaming resolution among Steam users, along with 8GB of memory and W7 64Bit

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2016
  10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

AKA approximately a two-millionth (0.0008%) of the space being argued about in this thread.

Ladies and gentlemen, technology is terrifying.

I will mention that the above mentioned system (powered by an AMD K6/2 500MHZ and a wretched Trident Cyberblade onboard GPU IIRC) wasn't my first, just the first I ever personally upgraded. Got my start with a CPC 464 complete with a game-breaking-tastic Multiface 2 but compared to the ZX81 it might as well have been HAL9000.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2016
  11. SVO

SVO Registered

I'm almost ashamed I started with an Apple

An Apple IIe. LOL System RAM .06

But lets be honest. I kicked butt at Madden Football on that Floppy. And I can't ever forget about Lode Runner! Oh....those were the days.

Key Specs

TYPE
    Desktop

BUNDLED OS
    Other
    PROCESSOR SPEED
    1.02 MHz

VIDEO OUTPUTS
    RCA / composite
    SYSTEM RAM
    0.06 MB
    General

TYPE
    Desktop

BUNDLED OS
    Other
    Processor

PROCESSOR MAKE
    Other

PROCESSOR SPEED
    1.02 MHz
    NUMBER OF CPUS

NUMBER OF CORES (PER CPU)
    Single-core (no)
    Video

GRAPHICS ADAPTER
    Integrated

VIDEO OUTPUTS
    Array
    Optical media

OPTICAL DRIVES
    None
    Networking

WIFI
    no

ETHERNET
    None
    ANALOG MODEM
    None
    Slots / bays / chassis

EXPANSION CARD SLOTS
    yes
    Environmental

SYSTEM COOLING
    Passive
    Other features

WIRELESS KEYBOARD / MOUSE
    no

IR PORT
    no
    INTEGRATED WEBCAM
    no

SECURITY LOCK SLOT
    no
    CASE LIGHTING
    no
    Memory and storage (basic)

SYSTEM RAM
    0.06 MB
    Connections

USB (REAR)
    None

USB (FRONT)
    None
    FIREWIRE (REAR)
    no

FIREWIRE (FRONT)
    no
    BLUETOOTH
    No
    Audio

TYPE
    Integrated

AUDIO CHANNELS
    Mono
    BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
    no

SPEAKERS
    Mono
    Memory card reader

MEMORY CARD READER
    no
    Removable disks

REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE
    no
    Power

POWER ADAPTER

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Since I already had an extra 16 GB 'floating' around the house not being used, I figured I'd experiment a bit.
    There was no appreciable increase in framerate...(which I fully expected).
    I did however, set the paging file to zero thereby forcing the system to off-load virtual... and use actual RAM.
    Things then got a lot smoother in RF2.
    The really tiny bit of micro-stutter usually seen as the car goes by scenery in external camera views, disappeared.
    I would not recommend you go doing that procedure (zero page file), if you don't have at least 16GB.

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I'm genuinely surprised that the HDD page file makes that much of a difference but I'll still be glad to see the back of the bloody thing with growing RAM amounts.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If only it helped join lag :rolleyes:

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Try gJED and see if that works for you?

16. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I stopped reading the article after the first sentence because I don't remember that ever being true. People were always trying to get faster cpus and video cards.

17. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

i'll do the same on my amiga 1200

18. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

when in 1999 I upgraded from 64mb sdram 133mhz to 128mb sdram 133mhz to my old pentium II 350mhz with ati rage fury 4mb video card....man...my "sports car GT" passed from 20 frames (just a guess) to 60 (guess too). The difference was HUGE.
    Then i OC to 392mhz without touching voltages and added an Nvidia riva tnt2 m64 32mb and my computer was a beast and i kept dreaming about the day I could afford a Geforce256 (which never happened btw).

ooooold good times!!!!!!

19. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I know it may sounds a bit troublesome but I think it's a matter of being used to this;

I'm using 32bit just to set materials and export .GMTs. but 90% of the job for me it's with 3ds Max 64bit and that's for modeling, mapping, distributing, editing, fixing, baking. Basically everything regarding 3D modeling. :)

I start modeling with 64 bit, then, when it's time to map, I use two identic matballs, with the same submat ID sequence. One it's just using .png versions of textures (T1) and it's good to pre-visualize things inside max 64bit, using high res viewports. Second matball it's the one I use in the 32bit version, with gMats instead standard mats.

You could try this for a while and see if it works for you too. I've to say I couldn't do differently now, as I've 32Gb of Ram too. :)

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

yep, but that doesnt change the fact that the plugins being only 32bit is ridicious