rF2 extremely slow to start first time after reboot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jan 13, 2016.

1. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

There was definitely something changed to how rfactor treat the files or their settings. Week ago i was make fresh install on completely new ssd(i was somehow sure i had slow starts because of a bit old hdd) and symptoms of first slow starting is still present. Also average loading times(no matter content) are now longer as was 2-3 builds ago and is not primary problem of how much content we have.

2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The other evidence that points to indexing of some sort is that you get the same unduly long delay when trying to view "Local Content" in the Content tab of the Launcher. Once it eventually loads in, no problems for speed of access or sorting.

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Very strange, takes 1-2 seconds and all content is listed (non steam version).

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Me too, except after reboot. Then it takes a loooooonnnnnggggggg time, just for the first time. Wonder what the difference is if yours is always fast?

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

After reboot maybe 1 second longer (refreshing). Maybe it depends on, how much of the content is allready installed?

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Maybe it is hardware. Juergen has Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME X99 RG SA > Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.3 GHz > 16GB 2133-13 XPG Z1 K2 ADA.
    I have ASRock X99 WS-E/10G > i7-5960X@4.4Ghz > 32GB Ripjaws 4@3000 CL15. My game loads fast too (steam version)
    :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  7. cosimo

cosimo Registered

It depends on number of tracks and cars installed. Not only settings for cars but also thumbnails, etc...

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope, thats my racing rig. The loading time was measured on my office pc, wich have a little bit lower specs: Asus H87-PRO, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, AMD R9270x, RAM 32GB@1600MHz, SSD840PRO.

//Edit: rF2 is installed on a SATA drive.

9. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Strange I have a ton of mods and my PC loads fast.
    My rF2 is installed on IntelĀ® 750 SSD 400GB PCIe 3.0 PCIe 3.0 2200MB/900M RAID.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I had those problems with rf1. That's why I had multiple installs... Now with my new SSD it seems to be okay, but I only have selected mods installed... not 686 vehicles... :p

11. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

It may also depend on where the "local content" is stored. I have my "packages" stored on a network drive which has this same undue delay. If I move them to a folder on the same HD as the install it's lightening quick.

However back to the original slow load issue, yes I have it too. 1st load after reboot is slow....... but fine after that. Makes no difference if RF2 is set to a specific series or "all tracks & cars"

jr

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What is the setting for thumbnails? Maybe mine is set "wrong?"

13. zaphman

zaphman Registered

What you've stumbled upon is Windows File Caching (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364218(v=vs.85).aspx)... I guess. First time (after boot) a file is read, it stays in "memory", cached, for easy/quick access next time its read. So, the first launch of rFactor 2, after boot, will read the whole shebang from disk. Next launch will read (most of) the files from the cache. Also take a look in http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/...indows-task-manager-performance-tab-blog.aspx.

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Yep, that's it.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That's great, except the result seems to be to SLOW the initial read by a huge factor so that it then reads fast on the second and subsequent loads. How are some people getting fast performance ALL the time?

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That's the real question.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Do a fresh rF2 like I said all ISI content.

It opens a little slower first time but reboot it will still open / cache fast

I defy anyone to do what I say and tell me the folder opens slow.

Did you listen ? :) A FRESH rF2 ......no old userdata, no old anything...then redo profile / new player

Boot it again opens fast .........ok.

Now add 30 tracks and mods and 15 rooms mods it will open way slower obviously.
    BUT..... it will also open slower all subsequent times "then the Fresh ISI did "

Time it ........I have

Ergo it is the amount you crap you have in folder coupled with Bus performance aka Processor, transfer rate, chipset, memory speed.

and I still say the more room mods you have slower it opens.......

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have tons of mods. I expect it to perform slower than if I had few. No kidding.

Has nothing to do with extraordinarily slow first-time load/launch versus subsequent. Something is occurring on the first load...what do you think it is? If it's cacheing, please explain exactly what/how if you know so much.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

You could try to search for folders called "_output" and files "_output.scn". Those files/folders are generated by 3DSimed, are mostly not needed and could generate some funny side effects, e.g. ghost folder in locations. Maybe this is one of the reasons...Other reason could be rfmods done with previous rF2 builds.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Should they all be deleted?