rF2 extremely slow to start first time after reboot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I have a ton of mods. rF2 takes an alarmingly long time to start after a reboot of my PC. Once it has been run once, it then subsequently starts in a normal manner.

It's almost like it has to re-index every piece of content after a reboot, but does not have to do that in between...? Anyone else with lots of mods experience this? It just keeps getting worse the more cars and tracks I have installed.

2. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yes I have the same problem, if I have a ctd whilst in sim it can take even longer. I have my o/s on a small ssd but game drive is an old 500gig HDD. I always put it down to that.

3. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Same problem here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

All you guys have this? I never had it before (and i'm not 100% sure it's exactly the same issue) but since say a week, when loading a track (and the cars after the actual track is finished loading) can now easily take upto 3-4 minutes whereas normally i'd be on track in under a minute

5. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

Which OS are you using ? is it on SSD ?

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

it was worse in rF1

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe deleting old shaders could help.

E:\rFactor2\UserData\Log\Shaders (and deleting the files in E:\rFactor2\UserData\Log\CBash too)

First start of each track/mod combo would take a little bit more time, but afterwards it should start faster.

If it`s not gone, i would advise to uninstall everything wich isn`t ISI content. If this solve the problem, i would install one after one (addon tracks and mods) and try to check wich mod or track is responsible for the delayed startup.

//Edit: by the way, could be interesting, if some smart hdd check bring up bad blocks etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah as long as I only have ISI content installed there is no startup delay to speak of. I have no difficulty imagining that some piece of third party content could be the culprit here.

Or maybe it's just the large amount of content I have installed? I have about 60 gb worth of stuff now.

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

There are e.g. tracks, wich where edited with 3DSimEd. During export 3DSimEd save an additional scn file (_output.scn), wich isn`t needed but could let appear some strange behaviors, e.g. "ghost tracks" into your ingame track list. Sadly, some modder are not aware of this and keep this file for the release.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Maybe it has something to do with the "all_vehicles.ini" file inside the player directory. When you start the Sim it scans every installed component for vehicles (veh files) and adds them to the list. The file is used to save the mirror, seat, ffb and fov settings for every car in the Sim.

If I read this right, I have now 686 vehicles installed.

11. Comante

Comante Registered

Could installed content, even if not used ATM, cause CTD ? For example a old 3 party mod, a vmod, or a track that you don't even remember having?

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think it is more specifically the amount of room mods you have installed cause more slow-up then content,

Do a fresh lite add every track and mod you have it and will boot okay, yes ?

Then make 15 room mods and see what happens............

The other thing is certain software can conflict multi-tasking in 64bit mode and slow restarts, etc. ...... at least I have found the case.

The other obvious thing is do not run so much content, what do you need it all for ?

13. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I have zero room mods as I remove/delete them once I've finished with that particular race. No other software except o/s as its a dedicated sim rig, so my guess is amount of content. My vehicle content is pretty low but I have a fair few tracks.

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Same here slow startup but i think Tosh is on a thing here because thinking about it, for me it all started when the option came to adjust the seat pitch. i could be wrong tho.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

For me it started when I moved to Steam. Hmm.

My old regular install with 60+ GB content started up without much trouble, a slight delay the first time after reboot but nothing like this.
    Sometimes it takes minutes to get going now.

16. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

Because of some comments made elsewhere related to similar events, I'd like to ask those with the slowness if when they are starting up RF2 they are having it load All Cars and Tracks or if they are having it load a RaceEvent. I don't recollect where I saw it, but someone asserted that if you start RF2 with All Cars and Tracks that it has to load all of the opponents and that takes time. It would be interesting for someone who experiences the slowness to try that. I'm on Steam and I don't see any slowness that I would consider unacceptable for my hardware.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

As I mentioned, it reminds me of some sort of indexing function, so I think Tosch is on the right track (pun intended). He usually is.

Not related to clearing cache--has no effect.

I use All Cars and Tracks.

But is this seat pitch thing only occurring after a reboot? Are others with the slowdowns all also seeing huge difference between first time after reboot and subsequent starts?

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yes, I see a huge difference between first and subsequent starts.

19. Sherwin92

Sherwin92 Registered

I wish i had some sort of "magic answer" for you guys. But it seems like the best i can do is give a big thanks to you all, and especially Juergen-BY ! I did a hard-disk sector scan and SMART test, and it came back with a boatload of errors and failures. I got a new hard drive, cloned my old files onto the new drive and, presto! Not just rFactor loads more smooth again, file transfer speeds on the new drive are way up.

So thanks again guys, hopefully you all can be as pleased as i am now soon :D

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I`m happy you solved the problem, nice!