AI is over smoking under braking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by henrique br, Jan 6, 2016.

1. henrique br

henrique br Registered

The AI is fantastic in rFactor, but it's always smoking on braking, even in simple corners, that is not realistic and also distracting, I have seen this issue in other forums, but not a solution, how can I turn of smoke?

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Turning down AI-agression could do the trick.
    It depends also on car and track how often they do this.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah try the F3's , all I see is totally natural looking.

It is like the 3 Bears lool F3 is .... just right.

The brake smoke is tied to the drying line isn't it ? Like real road and wear rate is.
    I thought you could turn it off ( with a package edit ) but it would mean no wet racing. ?

HDR makes smoke look overblown as well, turn it off look at same replay.

4. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

AI Being overly aggressive on braking? :eek::eek::eek:

Anyway, that is due to them using exactly 100.000000% of possible praking power without locking up (not human like at all) and the result is some tire smoke.

It would also help if they used the brakes like a pedal and not an on-off switch...

Only think I can think of is to edit the "AI_Braking_Power" line in the (hdv?) file, or wherever it is, but then you have to go through the whole process of unpacking and repackaging the mod and all that BS...

Fantastic? Nah, "good" at best. Plenty of room for improvement...

5. Minibull

Minibull Member

As could everything in any of our sims, right ;)

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Compared to what you see in other titles? Yeah, the AI in this sim is pretty damn spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Diogo Oliveira Falcão

Diogo Oliveira Falcão Registered

Totally agree with you, rF2 is the only sim that is possible to race against AI.

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I don't get why AI in a SIM is so damn difficult, but the "games" can have spectacular AI... I remember Forza 3, and I NEVER had an issue with the AI. They were perfect. But yes, seeing how god awful AC AI is (never tried pcars), yes, it is "spectacular".

Papyrus did it right though, NR2003 still had probably the best SIM AI I have ever seen. Now come back to rF2, and the AI can't even drive ovals without slapping the outside wall and slamming on brakes for no apparent reason. And N2K3 was released 13 years ago. Imagine that...

9. Diogo Oliveira Falcão

Diogo Oliveira Falcão Registered

I tried AC (the worse AI ever), pcars, raceroom and stock car extreme and none of them even get close to rF2.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yes, oval AI doesn't have the same "requirements" to my eyes. Extremely close following distances, ability to "see" ahead with a spotter, cars all round all the time, etc.

Being that 90 odd percent of the cars in rF2 are for use on road circuits/whatever name you use for conventional race tracks, I'd say it's something they should be given a little leeway on with their early oval content. It's taken them a long time to get some really good circuit AI, as can be seen by other efforts in other sims.

Kunos first implementation of ai wasn't a rip roaring success, but they've built on it and improved it. Same thing I'm sure will happen here.

Stay positive, Pearce :D

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

You can't make those comparisons and expect it to make any sort of sense.
    There are a gazillion more variables for the AI to take into account in a proper sim like rF2.
    That's why it's more difficult.
    If the devs want the AI to even be lifelike and drive like a human would drive; that's the biggest challenge of all.

rF2 AI alters its lines, it makes mistakes, it overtakes and defends, it's able to learn how to optimize lap time, it has uncanny spatial awareness that allows a human player to go side-by-side and never fear a collision (unless you screw up ;) )
    That's way beyond merely "good" in my book, especially when I look at the alternatives on the market right now.

I'm absolutely allergic to console racing game AI, I can't stand it, at all, which is part of the reason why I made the switch to proper sim racing a few years back.
    rF2 AI blew me away back then, and continues to do so on an almost daily basis.
    Working on and off with AIWs makes me appreciate it even more.

Yup, there is still work to be done, and you won't hear me claiming it's perfect.
    But it still baffles me how fun and exciting a time I can have racing against computer controlled opponents in this sim.

That said; I agree, it looks annoying with the smoke from all the little brake lock-ups, absolutely.

I will say that I think R3E has some a long way, lately the AI has actually become quite enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016