Sound from camera location instead of car?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

So, I'm a wierdo, but sometimes I like to let the AI race and put the free move camera in the stands or along the fence and "walk" the track as if I were a spectator at a real race. Yes, I get bored lol. rF2 great(ish) AI and graphics make it look realistic and fun to do. Used to do it with NR2003 all the time at short tracks! Just chill in the stands and watch the AI go at it. :p

But the problem is, the sound doesn't follow the camera, it stays from the perspective of sitting in the car, so I can be on one end of a curcuit and hear what's happening all the way on the other side, not where I am.

One thing to do is keep hitting page down for a "spectator camera" until I get close to where I want to be, then free move to the exact spot, but that kind of ruins the point of it.

Soo.. Is there any setting I don't know about that will change this?

If not, I guess I'll just stick to sim-racing only, no sim-spectating LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
  2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Asked a while back, but I don't think it is high priority. It may be now that some of the static cams you can move and they will do it, but I haven't tried after I brought it up.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think it is very easy to do.

Press END ( why Page down ? )

END will put you at all the trackside cams

Now press mouse move

Turn mouse as if you are looking down track, you hear cars come from distance they move past you turn camera sound fades in distance , look back down track for next cars.

OR after the cars pass you press END it will jump to the next cam they pass, so END one finger and Mouse the other. :p

You can sit or follow cars around the track, using END and mouse move you have controls like zoom unlocked.

So you can zoom in on a car coming up a hill a mile away say and slowly zoom out the closer it gets moving the mouse at same time like a movie camera , when it passes , END to the next camera.
    ( then you need 2 fingers and the mouse )

Or as you say manually move about wherever you want.

Sit up on the train lines at Belgium and listen to cars come from Masta through Stavelot and up the hill move the zoom in and out as distance to car changes

I never hear sounds 1/2 a track away not too sure what you got going on there.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Pearce

For best trackside spectating set all the unassigned advanced camera controls.

Get rid of all those stupid aids keys and use F1 to F12 like I do.

They are in groups of 4 make it easy to remember all, find in the dark etc , etc.

*** Cam Zoom In/Out only works with the spectator cameras ( END )

[​IMG]

5. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

As of now, none of the cameras do it. From a driving camera, the sound is always from the perspective of the car location. From the END cameras (I mean't end not page down) the sound stays at the original camera location.

That's the problem. The sound doesn't move with the camera. if I END cycle to a camera by masta, and then move the camera manually to say stavelot, I still hear the cars zooming by though masta but don't hear them at all at stavelot. In other words, the camera moved, but the "microphone" didn't, I guess you could say.

6. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I hope it is at least the same priority as VR support as the sounds don't move with the Cockpit cam either. I use TrackIR and not having the Stereo imaging move when I look around is a pain. The Occulus guys will probably be more vocal ;)

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Still don't know what you on a about.

Why on earth would you manually move a camera a mile ( a few 100 metres maybe )

Click END whatever spectator cam it is cars drive past you so does the sound

? lol

Imaging ? I can close my eyes and point to where a cow moos !

I dunno maybe my DTT amp and software produces moving sound.

Or I just confused what you mean

Can you at least put it into detail. 1. 2. 3. how I replicate what you are talking about to the letter.

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

That was just an example... Say I want to put the camera way up on the hill above eau rouge. So I cycle to a spectator camera that is at eu rouge, right by the track. Then I manually move the camera way up on that hill, but when the cars come by I still get a very quick "NNEAAWW" like they are coming right by my face. I should hear the cars slowly come by like I'm far a way from the track, but what I'm hearing is coming from right beside the track, where the spectator cam ORIGINALLY was.... It's just not right.

What I'm getting is like a TV broadcast where they put the microphone in one place, and go 200m away from the microphone with the camera. Imagine that.

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Or the opposite; there are no close cameras on a particular corner, so you go to the nearest, move it in, but barely hear the cars (relatively) as they whiz by the camera, because the sound hasn't changed. I thought anyone that's ever actually moved some cameras around would have noticed this.

10. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Try it while pressing the look left or right buttons. With your eyes shut you should be able to tell which way you are looking.

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I agree, it'd be great if the spectator (END) cameras had built-in mics instead of the static mic that stays behind after you move the camera.

12. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I've done loads of coding since I was 12, It is very simple to implement too. I'm assuming the mic coordinates are stored in a XYZ array in memory, and it's just a matter of adding this line in a "camera move" event handler(for example):

MicXYZ = CameraXYZ; //CameraXYZ is already updated when the camera was moved

whenever the camera is moved. All of the complicated "sound generation" code will use this one simple coordinate (MicXYZ) as baseline. Very simple if they wrote it right, that is. Many coders don't think it through or like to do things the unnecessarily hard way lol.

Now if you want the sound to change based on which direction the camera is turned, that gets more complicated, but doable.

Anyway, I'm sure this will stay under the rug where is was swept long ago for another few years, just like rain and multi-class racing...

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I will pay much closer attention Pearce but I hear every car where they are.

I certainly do not hear cars 1/2 way around the track.

I am either tone deaf or really dumb. :(

lool

For me the sound ambiance and immersion is second to none.

Like I described running as close as possible along the Masta straight wall

With a realtek and cheap speakers / phones you barely hear a thing !

With good chipset and speakers , heavens it is a symphony ! ......a cacophony of sound ! :eek:

Sure some effects are not 100% and some overdone, it is still better then the rest for mine.

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I tell you another thing gives it away for me.

The majority of people I blow a horn at on a lap , hesitate like they do not know where it is coming from, left , right or how far behind and they almost always back off or go left right lol

When they blow their horn at me I know exactly where it is, right beside me, 2 feet behind my head... or a car length or 5 car lengths .............round about, never far wrong.

15. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

You still don't understand what I'm talking about, that's all. Have you ever manually moved a spectator cam far away from it's original position? The microphone doesn't move with the camera!

16. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Maybe that sounded rude lol. Didn't mean for it to. I'm autistic so I don't get the concept of rudeness/manners like "normal" people do. All I meant was no, you are not tone deaf or dumb, maybe I just didn't explain clearly.

Anyway, I will make do until this is fixed (if it ever is).

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hahaha water off a ducks back mate hehehe

Okay I am going to try what you say but I do that now ? .

The train tracks I mentioned ok

I drive up onto the train track

I go END it puts me somewhere at Stavelot, ........... I am talking LIVE on track not replays.

I use the advanced controls ( un-mapped ones ) to move up to the train track .............my car is probably idling and smoking by the time I get there, camera movement is slow.

I do it that way so I have the zoom.

With mouse move up towards Masta chicane I hear cars coming, they go past in distance down below me I hear this then I hear them disappear up the hill at Stavelot, from the train track I can still pick out individual skins going up the hill. ( amazing )

After they gone I hear a cow faintly moo across the other side of the track.

Even if I use chase cam or cockpit or any cam for that matter + plus mouse move I can look see and hear cars in distance, just you do not have the use of focal zoom.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  18. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

try it again but read carefully what he is doing

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

It's just that the spectator camera leaves its microphone behind when you manually move the cam away from its original position. So if you have a cam that's originally placed right next to the track and then move said cam far far away from that starting position, the sound doesn't change. It still sounds as if the cam is right next to the track. It'd be cool if the mic and cam moved together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What !

Of course you hear it ?

ok ok this is so funnee

IF i start my car in pits and go END ...YES YES I will hear my engine.......... if I zoom out YES YES
    I still hear it

lol

BUT BUT ..change too the next END KEY !!!!!!

what happens !!!

you do not hear your car idling now do you !!!

You do not hear your car " 1/2 way around a track " like Pearce suggests

Rubbish

Yes Yes !!! you can hear it 1/2 way around ( go the the first END key ) if you like.

But you can get around it too, click END again and pick a camera that does not have "local noise"

just use logic.

=====================

I actually use that flaw as a advantage you can sit high above pit straights, use mouse move, watch mates lap whilst youare waiting for a car to pit out with,

As soon as you hear a car start you can jump in yours.

That way you do not have to guess or watch the garages or be fooled by replays. ......... :rolleyes:

lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016