Pixelated Graphics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by daveklein, Jan 4, 2016.

1. daveklein

daveklein Registered

I upgraded graphics card to a 970gtx and went from 50fps to 150fps but I'm still a bit disappointed in the distance graphics. Especially with the red/white curbs that line a track like COTA. The blinking on/off make it hard to tell exactly where I am to setup for a corner. The fence line is also bothersome. I've tried to read everything I can but is there something simple I'm missing here? I've managed to screw just about everything else up that was pretty simple so I probably am on this one as well.

I'm sure this has asked a million times and I think the graphics are limited but thanks for any help.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Can you attach or link a screenshot so we can tell you if it's "normal" or if there's something to adjust?

3. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

x2

4. daveklein

daveklein Registered

Here ya go. Hopefully this will give you an idea. Weird thing is when I started the recording, it went to 60fps. I guess the recorder locks in the frame rate which I can change. In any case, it looks the same no matter what the fps.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

You'll only be able to judge graphics quality using the very latest tracks from ISI (Portugal, e.g.). Most conversions have all sorts of issues with textures and transparency settings that ruin the view. The better your video card and higher quality your settings overall, the worse these problems show up :(

I have tried three different versions of COTA and none of them looks good by comparison to the properly done, latest generation tracks. It's just the sad reality that making a top quality track is a gigantic amount of work...even converting an existing track from rF1 or elsewhere is far beyond the capability of all but a handful of experts and artists.

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The reason for flickering textures is to much detail in the distance. Some trackmakers are so in love with their textures that they try avoid the switch to the next lower mip map at all costs and set up their materials with mip map bias -5 and lower. 16x anisotropic filtering makes it even worse.
    A quick and dirty solution would be to set "negative LOD-Bias" to clamp in the Nvidia control panel, but on tracks where negative lod bias makes sense you loose a bit sharpness.
    If you are willing to sacrifice some fps SGSSAA (Sparse Grid Supersampling) might be a solution (Nvidia Inspector).

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

"Quote from Thuttle (ISI Dev)

Starting from a clean installation, with a clean player/config file, the best way to proceed with graphics settings is to JUST use ingame settings, pushing on high AA levels and anisotropic filtering x8 or x16 (and of course good track/car quality settings)...and that without overriding anything via inspector and/or CCP.

(Also HDR must be ON if you want a proper modern lighting.)

This way you can load the game and check how it looks. If you see trees are looking properly (no alpha jaggies) and texture are sharp enough to see details into it (aniso texture filtering), you can decide to be happy (and stop tweaking)...or start experimenting extra settings, outside the game.

But this is the time where you can mess with profiles and configs, so you have to check every single step, and every single click you are doing with CCPs and inspectors, to see how things are working. May happen a CCP/Inspector change is going to mess the config.ini and cache... and you can't just roll back from those settings, without cleaning up that file (aka generating a brand new one). Same for the Players.JSON and Transparency AA, or xpaa, using False to make wrong trees looking better and then making correct trees looking wrong.

Still, the easy way to make the game looking at best, is to go easy peasy, with standard ingame settings. This is where you are working inside our choices, instead playing with a very big mix of variables we can't control."

Edit player.JSON :
    "Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",

Do it like this and you are fine :)

8. kro388th

kro388th Registered

It does look a little fuzzy .. but not to bad .. how do the ISI tracks look ? I find 80% of modded tracks lack the same detail as the latest ISI versions ..

Have you tried nvidia's DSR feature ? this will crisp it up as you can increase the rez to crazy hi resolutions ,they help clear it up, then the DSR down samples the result to display without the huge performance hit the higher rez's demand ..

Find the DSR feature in NVIDIA Control Panel under Manage 3D settings / Global Settings .. You can crank it up as hi as 4X your native rez ! tic them all in Global settings then fire up the game and go to video settings , now you will see lots of new rez to try .. im using 2880x1620 and it looks pretty good for me with no performance hit ..I still get over 100fps with my 780ti

This is Monza with DSR @ 2880X1620, without DSR it looks pretty bad ,its a conversion ,see the lower left patch of grass that's all wonky ..

View attachment 18955

w/o DSR it shimmers and the far distant looks terrible and all bloched up ..

Here is another well modded track Croft ,looks pretty good w/o DSR but see the see the detail DSR adds ...

View attachment 18956

also depends on your monitor, some big TV's used as monitors don't look as good as a PC monitor will ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
  9. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Stupid question but you're running your max resolution with at least 4xAA on?

10. kro388th

kro388th Registered

yes I was wondering that to ! it looks like he's at a lower rez ....

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Looks like LOD to me, edit the JSON

I have a GTX970 looks wonderful .........that looks up the chit creek.

12. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Exactly...

13. daveklein

daveklein Registered

So Antialiasing was set to controlled and I changed it to Enhanced with 8x and DSR to 4x and it actually made it worse. Ugh. I think this inherent to the track like Tosch mentioned. And I haven't tried the negitive LOD bias yet. I'm also honestly not all that when it comes to gpu settings. But here's the deal, I am using a 32" 720p TV. I did try a 24" monitor to see if that helped and nada. No change. I also did change the video resolution to the highest setting in the game which was double 2732x1536. That did help a little tiny bit or maybe I'm just getting used to it after driving this track for 2 hours :)

This is the vid where it got worse.

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Found the problem... 32" with 720p is your problem.

Just set AA to 8x and you won't get better than that. Depending of settings as Tosch explained you will get better or worst results unfortunately...

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

+ 1

I not sure about other cards but with 8xAA and GTX970 you get the same quality, more frame-rate and you don't get bad transparency with trees .... I pretty sure I get less flicker as well.

Why on earth would anyone use 16x ?

:)

16. Hash

Hash Registered

Try disabling AA and FXAA in game, and force it through Nvidia control panel.

17. kro388th

kro388th Registered

I agree .. I just got a new 32" tv that goes to 1080p to replace my 27" monitor .. after trying for hours to get good looking results I went back to my 27" monitor because the game just looked like crap on the HD TV .. fuzzy and cartoonish .. now im back to crisp visuals and dynamic lighting looks real again ... BIG is nice But for me I just couldn't take the visual downgrade .. I imagine a 4K TV would do better ! ;)

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I thought this was broken in Nvidia drivers (the option is there but does nothing)? I used to use a utility to re-enable it with a patched Nvidia's DLL as this was the #1 fix for me for rF1 jaggies.

19. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Guys with 120hz/120fps/Mode:Fullscreen :p

20. Hazi

Hazi Registered