Steam and SoftTH worked fine, now re-installation fails after hardware modification

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarkP, Jan 1, 2016.

1. MarkP

MarkP Registered

I had SoftTH working fine with three monitors when I started up my Steam installation a few months back. Since then I added a fourth monitor for "console" purposes as my graphics card when bad under warranty and I was upgraded to a nVidia 980Ti. I was using the fourth display for checking temps and other performance issues while in-game, and SoftTH still worked fine. After that I had made some hardware changes (OS transferred to SSD) and when I reconnected everything and rebooted, I now think I should have started SoftTH up with just three monitors, before adding the forth. They were out of sequence in DISPLAY menu, and SoftTH seemed "confused" (oops!). Now I have the original three monitors as they were, but when I run the SoftTH install for the Steam license (d3d9.dll ONLY in the Bin64 folder), it creates the new resolution and attempts to run, but I only get a white screen on the central monitor, then a crash to desktop. Steam rF2 still runs fine on one monitor without SoftTH.

Additionally, I have tried this with a CLEAN Steam License installation.

I'm very annoyed this as I tested SoftTH with rF2 for many months before committing to the purchase of two high quality gaming monitors last year, and up until now, have had no bad experiences with Steam for the last nine years. I also decided (fortunately) to keep my non-Steam license, and SoftTH still works fine there.

I've tried everything I can think of at this point. Hoping someone might have a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
  2. GX7RAY

GX7RAY Registered

The only way I operate SoftTH with two screens.

SoftTH is copying the files in the bin32 folder 32bit and running rfactor 2 in 32 bits.

The only problem I have is not working the Alt + Tab keys :(