Ai raciness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul Fenwick, Dec 18, 2015.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Longford "All Cars" in a few sessions I have seen you drive the wheels of every car ISI made at the time and some mods, I think you tried to fire up the quad. :p

hehehehe

Video is good example of how to setting qualifying pace to make for good race pace.

I think some don't take into account when setting "Sprint Race " Ai levels that your laptimes "come back to you" in a race session.

If you set Ai so you start on pole you will leave the Ai behind in a race and/or if you drop back then closing distances will become unrealistic and harder to make clean passes.

If you set Ai so you start middle to rear you will pass and close on cars at much the same speed which makes for better side by side.

In longer races stuff like real road, fuel usage and other things can have more bearing on Ai pace.

If that makes any sense, Merry Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

+1

I never understood all the hate for that car either.
    One of my favorites. :cool:

3. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Some of the RaceRfactor tracks have pretty convincing AI (Montreal in particular - but they are still a bit crash happy) and it gets even better if you have a few real players involved. I normally use the Civic or Clio, and usually join any online session but will host if I want to run a particular track. It's been a long time since hosting, but would set AI at 120% with 70% agression. At Montreal they beat me by a second in quali, but over a 50 min race I could be at the front at around 20 min - or by the end anyway.

On Montreal they have a very realistic block line and will try very hard to get you back after you pass them, and can actually do it. So in that sense they can be fun and convincing, but its always easy to win the battle with them and eventually drive away. As the track changes, they do not get much better - their dealing with tire wear is not much to talk about either and they are quite predictable, so the experience is only mehhhh. Point is, the same race online with all real drivers is 100% better. Everyone has the same opportunity as you, so you can tell (at least in that session) if you are doing a good job or if you need to improve. If you manage to win against people who have smoked you before it feels great. Racing AI does not tell you anything.

The AI races are ok at tracks that have good AI, you can use them to rubber the track or practice long sting performance and still have some cars on track.

Online is far better.

In any series, there are usually only 3-5 drivers that have a chance to win the races - some solid mid-pack guys and some who are off the pace. Go online and that is usually what you get, and that is perfect. No one will care/call you out if you are in the back, and being at the back will teach you some things to work on very quickly. rF2 has a very natural driving sytle to it, there are no odd physics quirks you must drive to to be fast, and I don't believe the term "alien" really applies to this sim. Some will always be naturally good, thats the way it is - some like me who are uncoordinated will have to work hard at it but can eventually win some races. Working at it requires racing real competition, otherwise progress unknown.

4. Emery

Emery Registered

Sorry to disappoint you, but if you're talking about the ISI Montreal (2000) version, there's nothing more than a fast path defined. That AIW file is not up to the current standards. No BLOCK, no WET, no car-specific lines, and there are several exploits you can use against the AI on that version.

5. Hash

Hash Registered

@HEX, hey mate is there any documentation or tutorials on how to edit track AI files, Ive got plenty of tracks I know what I need to fix with AI, just need to know how, any help appreciated,chur.

6. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

Not the ISI version. Only disappointed that so many would rather fuss with AI than go online where it is much better. It's like trying to suggest to someone who loves Forza because it's so good, that they might be missing something better by not going rF2.

7. Emery

Emery Registered

That's a different discussion :)

Some of us don't have anything but satellite, so it gives us more time to fuss with the AI. If the weather ever gets back to where I can safely climb a ladder, I'll install my antenna and get 4G LTE running for online access, but until that happens, no online for me.

8. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

try the racerfactor Montreal then, they crash at last chicane but are otherwise very good.