Real F1 2016 Season - Off Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Real Racing Discussion' started by MikeeCZ, Dec 11, 2015.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Yep that makes much more sense mikee. Great race btw.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah nice race, quite a few surprises, newcomers did quite well!

Verstappen was sooooo mad lol, his Dutch interview after the race was hilarious, he tried so hard to not say anything and he mostly did but his anger was pouring out of his vanes lol. 18 y/o and the son of Jos, not a good mix :p

Such a shame they canned the new Q-system right away, I do believe it had great potential, despite what numbers might say, it just needed some tweaking and experience but oh well.

But yeah, gonna be a repeat of 2015 mostly. Verstappen on 5th in Q meant we got up at 5 in the morning for it, first time in years and prolly the last time as well.

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeah it was quite a good race. Entertaining and had action too. Horrible crash for Alonso, really glad he walked out of that as he did, could have been a very different outcome.

Newbies did quite well. Ferrari kind of shot themselves in the foot though.

Delighted Rosberg got the win.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Except for Ferrari not getting the win I thought they deserved, I was very pleased with the race.
    It is typical however, Ferrari tripping over themselves when they appear to have a race in their grasp (Nürburgring 1999 springs to mind as the most comical example of this).

Rosberg, very happy to see him keeping up the great form from the end of last season.
    Good thing his brakes and tires lasted the distance, sounds like Merc was close to retiring his car close to the finish!

I really hope ROS can give HAM a run for his money this year.
    He kinda has to, I doubt he'll be seated in a race winning car next year if he doesn't beat HAM this year.

Stoked to see Haas get their first points so soon! Always great to see the "underdog" do well.
    And Grosjean, one of my absolute favorite drivers since 2012, got well deserved result I think.

Thoroughly disappointed that Magnussen's race ended before it even began.
    But his race pace was very impressive, Palmer will have his work cut out for him this year.

I'm also very disappointed that they scrapped the new qualifying format without even giving it a proper chance with a few tweaks.
    I guess we'll go back to old style 99,9% predictable qualy then.. :rolleyes:

Anyway, game on 2016.
    Can't wait for the next GP. :cool:

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

What a joke...

And btw....don't say "U-Turn".... Bernie could introduce it as a new rule...

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Only if he can sell it somehow

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Too late. :D
    Thursday night before the next GP prepare for an announcement like this:

"When 5 mins. and 28 secs. of Q3 has passed, every driver who has not set a personal best in sector 2 on their latest lap must slow to a stop on track, make a U-turn and drive against the traffic.
    Sprinklers will then turn on, dousing the track in water, with cars driving in both directions.
    Driver elimination will then occur naturally.
    Last man standing gets pole.

-Bernie
    "

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Drivers getting more vocal as well asking for abandoning the obsolete and ill-structured decision making processes.
    Drivers Association sending out an open letter.
    Hamilton saying he doesn't even bother to attend drivers meetings because 'they' don't listen anyways.

I think its nice to see they put so much effort in making it a spectacle so fans will get less upset about how boring F1 is getting. its like a soap opera, can't wait for Bahrain :)

10. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Unless bernie will start getting some sort of payments from drivers, he wont listen. It needs to get a lot worse in order for them to actually change things.. people high in the hiearchy are getting too rich to let go

11. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Oh dear...
    A U-turn on the U-turn on the U-turn.

The elimination style qualifying will remain unaltered for Bahrain. :p

12. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

You should start calling it donuts :-D

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

14. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

A nice read, but I wouldn't want that single lap qually he proposes. We had such a thing, and I found that the most boring way of qualifying to watch that we have had over the years. It is nice to see (both on track, or on television) lots of on-track action. It would maybe randomise the grid a bit, but not much (unless rain is involved). If you see a manor on a hot lap you know it isn't going to be pole, and if you see a mercedes/ferrari you know that unless the driver makes a big mistake, he isn't going to be in the bottom half. Pole would be decided by maybe 4 hotlaps (2 ferrari laps, 2 mercedes laps), the rest of the session isn't about pole position. I even prefer the current way over that way.

The problem with the current qualifying, especially in Q3, is the lack of time, and the risk vs reward...... If a car goes out on track, do a warmup lap, a hotlap, and a lap back to the pits, then there are 5 minutes or so gone. Then there is no time for a tyre change, another warmup lap, and another hotlap for the slowest 2 or 3 drivers. So then there are only 5 drivers left with a shot of improving, taking a fresh set of tyres away from the race, to probably not improve much (unless you are a mercedes, maybe ferrari, the rest don't normally have a real shot), and while for most drivers it is hard to improve, there is little or no risk to lose places (or not a lot anyway), because most drivers are eliminated anyway. Take Verstappen in Australia, he was P5, it wasn't likely that he was going to beat mercedes or ferrari, and all drivers behind him didn't have time to go on track and even try to improve. Surely it would be dumb to use a fresh set of tyres for that, that he would otherwise use in the race. And then Ferrari thought exactly the same. Verstappen didn't go out, so worst they could do was P3 and P4, while with the pace of Mercedes it wasn't really a huge shot to improve anyway. And even if they would improve, they would hardly move up the grid, they'ld rather have their fresh tyres. This is why this new qually doesn't work, especially in Q3. There is very little on track action, because they won't be punished for not going out, but if they go out they are likely to lose more then they can gain. (unless mercedes does a sloppy first lap and sits in P5 or P6 or so).

My personal choice would be to have at least Q3 the same as it was last year, because then, by not going out on track for a second lap, you can potentially lose a lot of positions, and if your first lap wasn't perfect (P6, P7, P8), you can gain a couple of positions, producing more on track action (as we have seen the last couple of years). In the final minute there are usually at least 2 drivers (both mercedes) fighting for pole, and also Ferrari, not wanting to risk being overtaking by the guys behind, are on track and can potentially go for pole. I really thought that was way more exciting. For Q1 and Q2 I wouldn't mind to much, it wasn't to bad in melbourne, and I think there it has the potential to shake things up a bit from time to time, without costing to much on-track action. Although the old way was fine there as well.

I really don't understand why they try to spice up the qualifying though. It was nice as it was, and clearly the problem in boring races is not the starting order, but the fact cars just have a very hard time following each other closely. Otherwise in Australia we should have seen way more overtaking as well, with the best example being that Hamilton couldn't come close enough to Verstappen to even consider an attack, while he was clearly faster as he proved in qually, and after he cleared Verstappen with the pitstops. That has been the biggest issue in F1 for quite some time.

Mixed up grids don't provide excitement, if they can't race. I am pretty sure that if the grid would be mixed up in bahrain, that there will still be little overtaking, except for the DRS zones, which in my opinion aren't real overtakes anyway. (a real overtake in my mind is outsmarting the other driver, outbraking or something, not simple have a higher speed and do the move on the middle of the straight).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2016
  15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I'm glad it will be this system for Bahrain though, not because I want it to happen dearly but simply to see what teams come up with to get the upper hand. Too many surprises and fails in Melbourne, here's hoping they find some good ways to tackle this.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I don't know if this is old news, but apparently Alonso was not just a little lucky to walk away from his Melbourne crash..
    He was very lucky. His seat broke.

EDIT:
    And yeah, I'm with you on that one Denstjiro, I'm glad they're keeping the new system.
    I'm not gonna pretend it worked well in Australia, because it didn't, but it's brand new and a lot of teams didn't even fully understand it at the time.
    It'll be very interesting to see how they attack it in Bahrain.

17. Tuttle

18. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

19. Tuttle

..that's also Ickx VS Hulkemberg, Ferrari Vs Force India, V12 Vs V6, 1970 Spa VS Hocke(boring)nheim... F1 gotten worse really. :(

20. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

okay, apperantly alonso was injured after all, fractured ribs, and he isn't allowed to race by the medical staff... debut for Stoffel Vandoorne in the McLaren this weekend (and maybe more, can't really imagine alonso being cleared for china either with fractured ribs)