GS 4 seats

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Greg23, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

So...I'm getting ready to put in a SimXperience order and I run across GS 4 seats.

From the reviews I've been able to dig up the seat might even be better than a motion rig at half the cost. The sense I've gotten is the GS 4 and a standard motion system (like a SX Stage 1) is really the way to go. The seat is best for cornering/acceleration/braking (the more sustained forces) and the rig is best for bumps and road feel. SimXperience apparently contracted with the guy who makes/made the GS 4 and offered them for a while. Then they stopped offering the seats and put him to work on the new AccuForce wheel. There MAY be another seat offered in the future.

Does anyone have any experience with the GS 4 that could add something here? Anybody got one to sell?? I found Bergisons GS4 homemade clone and it looks like I might have to look into making my own (not out of wood, of course). BTW the seat belt tension addition looks really good.

So...there goes my 'plug and play' plan, as it looks like I could be spending a good part of my winter fabricating and wiring a seat. I would really have to read up on control circuits, unless someone here has done one and could tutor me. Or maybe I could find a sympathetic soul at X-Sim to help.

My question for this post (aside from 'Where can I get a seat?') is: When SX was offering them there were modules in the SimCommander software for the seat. They say, if you have a seat, they still provide support but if I buy a current package and add a seat of my own will the current SimCommander software handle it? I'm assuming it's versatile enough that even if they don't provide a specific seat module it can be 'told' to control the Stage 1 AND a seat. Does anybody know?

P.S. The guy who made the GS 4 seats was not very far from where I live. Just my luck/timing. Drats!

Thanks.

2. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

Gs4 costs 3000 usd aprox
    Universal motion base + 2actuators costed me arroun 1500 usd.

Gs4 is discontinued production

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

only my opinion but I'd stay clear of the seat, it uses low grade actuators that are also know to break
    ( although fairly inexpensive to replace)

the seat rocker type setups are great + consider using a racing harness tethered to a spring mech
    ( to apply tension to body during breaking and cornering etc )

4. Joe

Joe Registered

I probably know how to do for Braking (relatively easy)... do you know how to implement for Cornering? This could be my next DIY project if I ever have time.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's my next project too

I hope to get some cornering effect by routing the ends of the harness close to the rear centre of my rig
    Will test & adjust -may use bungee strap cord ( the common type with hooks on end although I intend to get them stitched with adjustable fanseners etc) should work to some degree

6. Joe

Joe Registered

Let me know if you figure out how to do for the "cornering". Actually, I felt the cornering g-effect is good enough for me, once I turned up the lateral-g strength over 200%. I am pretty happy on that. The issue I have for the braking g-effect.
    Here is the CXC solution by adding single connect point with strong springs for tension:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View attachment 18714 View attachment 18715

I think I may need to change my springs, tight into single point, and adjust the length accordingly:

[​IMG]
    View attachment 18716

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

yes nice find, they are doing something similar

I don't really want anything else plugged into my PC, so this method I think would be best

I assume springs may be a bit clunky ( when no one sitting in seat) so this is why I'm steering towards bungee cord with some time of plastic cord clamp ( so they can be adjusted so everything just right )

8. Joe

Joe Registered

Yes, need strong spring and not too tighten the belt. In worst case, I calculate as following. Say max braking at 5g (F1 car). Assuming upbody mas is half of your body, that give brake g force is 2.5g.
    To feel the 2.5g force on the seat belt, you need tighten belt. For my 150mm actuators, say max movement from mid point ~ 70mm (0.07m) so the springs travel distance would be 0.07m.

F= - k x distance that leads: 2.5g = -k x 0.07 so k = 350 N/m or 700 lb/in. For three springs, with each would be with k = 233 lb/in. Now, this is worst case, basically I tighten up the belt and choking to "death". In reality, I cannot tighten belt like this, so I need to leave room for. So the spring travel distance would be far less than 70mm. Lets say half of 70mm, 35mm. I need three springs with each at least k= 2x233 = 466 lb/in spring. I will shop for those springs.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

it depends how much motion you have set in your motion profile(s)

ideally I imagine fastening race harness under light tension ( bit of stretch in cord or Spring ) then that increases noticable as body moves forward brake , decreases for body moving back ( accelerate ) , hopefully sideways too

how long/tension of the cord + setting must work together - I'll keep same motion profiles and setup to that, I imagine it's tinkering + trial & error that will get good results I'd not bother trying to work it out on paper

10. Joe

Joe Registered

As I recalled that I read somewhere the sim-x products lisence key is transferable.
    If the original owner bought from Sim-x, then you are OK. If not, you may need to contact sim-x first before buying.

I just realized that my SCN5 may not have enough torque to work with those springs. The F1 max braking force just too much for me anyhow. I probably need 1/3 of that at most.

As you said, trial-error-feel method is the way to go....I will get a few sets of different springs to try.

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Dear santa... Hahaha jeez. Id rather just buy a kart.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

joe, I'm sure your scn5's will be fine

I don't think you need much pressure in the harness , just slightly higher than subtle which will enhance the overall effect nicely
    ( if it were strong it would become annoying after the novelty factor wears off I'm sure )

13. Joe

Joe Registered

14. Joe

Joe Registered

Just tried with my original springs:

View attachment 18734

I tried the F3.5 and Corvette GT cars. Very impressive indeed. For GT car, I do need to fasten the belt pretty tighten in order to get a good feel. Because the belt was pulled upward so most pressure I feel is on the shoulder. Since my belt is 4-point harness there always is flex in this case:

View attachment 18735

I think 5-point harness seat belt would be best in this case. I will recommend you 5-point harness seat belt.
    Anyhow, it works!

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

joe

good info thanks a lot, keep posting with your progress, those springs look neat

16. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

Doesn't really answer my question but has given me some good ideas for alternate activation of a seat! Thanks.

17. Joe

Joe Registered

I think only owner(s) of this GS 4 seat can answer your questions.
    However, IMHO, in theory I think this type of g-seat would not work. Basically it intends to use Newton's 3rd law to produce an effect that actually caused by Newton's 2nd law. I will not buy such seat. (I could be wrong, just be humble on this).

The seat-mover solution, which is the way as using by SimXpericence, Frex, and CXC, etc other firms, or in X-sim forum, is to fix the Steering Wheel/pedals (not in motion), only seat is moving (roll and pitch). This approach is pretty popular. I feel it works! The muscle tensions created by your body/arms in related to the Steering Wheel (fixed) as seat moving is effectively yielding g-force effects. So a driver's body muscle will fight to balance to learn and memorize as if driving a real car. This is common design with such limit and cheap actuators, and most simulators in the market today used this approach.
    To be effective, one needs to turn UP the strength of lateral g-effect and make the seat roll between at least +/- 15 or 20 degree. As I saw many of youtube, most of them sadly did not do that, not even close. They basically experience some bump/bounce/drop and shaking effects (like the D-Box) though, instead of cornering-g and braking-g effects.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015
  18. Greg23

Greg23 Registered

Thanks Joe.

I'm going to order a 2DoF rig from SimXperience (probably next week) and see what I think of it. It will be a vast improvement over what I have now, which is a stationary rig. If I'm looking for more I'll work on seat solutions. I just know, from reviews I've seen from people who have both, that if they could only keep one they say they would keep the seat.

19. Joe

Joe Registered

FYI, just measured the braking g-force today, see:

20. MrJack

MrJack Registered

Hi,
    I have a 2dof simulator (scn5) and I would like to test the spring harness system .
    My first test was not great ..
    So, what spring force do you use ?
    You can see my first test, with two different spring, but not good ..

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TDu8XCnSvBc[/video]

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqU6FfYvxN4[/video]