Workshop Discussion..continue here...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Woodee, Nov 26, 2015.

1. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

And there goes my question, isn't there any way that the game publisher (ISI in this case) can report to immediately take down a workshop item?

I have reported this upload long ago, same did hex and shiet at least, but the item is still in the workshop.

2. LeStrat

LeStrat Registered

I mean, not only that, the uploader should be permanently banned from uploading content.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Did you report to Valve? In which form?

AFAIK the game publisher just agree to workshop rules (we agree users can contribute with their mods); after that it's up to users and Valve. These are parts involved in the agreement, when it comes to user subscriptions.

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I flagged the workshop item itself, but nothing has come of it yet, to my surprise. I guess Valve are too busy to deal with something like that.

BTW I'd hate to see the guy banned from uploading content ever again. That's too extreme I think. Like I said, I'm sure the intentions are as good as can be, but he just needs to learn that if an original author says stop, he should stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I don't think few flags are enough to ban a item. Probably the only way to get a contribution removed from workshop, it's the author asking directly Valve to remove a non-authorized item...which should be, I think, the last move to take. IMHO.

I also think we should all try to manage the problem just inside the community, in a civil manner, without asking bans or laws to be respected etc...

If you want to upload something it's not your, just ask the author if you can. If you don't get any reply, or if the author do not agree, just DON'T do it.

Again, if you already did and the author is asking you to remove it, just REMOVE it.

After all these attempts, as a extreme consequence, the author could fill the Valve Copyright infringement page and ask for a Contribution removal. Problem is I'm not sure what is gonna happen after that, for both that content and the user who uploaded without permission...probably something not so nice for anyone.

Respect should come before the law....

6. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Correct. I was speaking more generally about how it's becoming hard to care in the current environment where even some SW devs won't defend their own IP and the rippers even mock them publicly. Very sad state of affairs all-round.

7. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Exactly.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I think the wording is... they "shouldn't do anything they want"... but since when has the internet respected rules or the IP holder?

Just making people aware of what can and does happen.... exhibit A in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
  9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

and who is this uploader that goes off on a tangent?

Neither are the random webspace locations that an uploader may use (dropbox and google drive excluded)

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Uhm. The guy who uploaded shiet's track to the Workshop. Whom we're discussing in this thread currently.
    "TX" something or other.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Ah good, just so we are clear. I missed his posts earlier in this thread then. If shiet has asked them to take it down, and it says in the description that he will, is he now saying otherwise?

By the way thanks for the track shiet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Close enough..............

You know what I meant..............

13. T@X

T@X Registered

I removed the track, as shiet requested, BUT, i really wanted and still want to send a message guys.
    Why no one is uploading their mods there ? There is litterally nothing . No one is uploading. Someone must do it.
    There's no sense at all in this behaviour. Something MUST change ASAP.

14. RJames

RJames Registered

T@X I'm sure you did it absolutely for the right reasons, getting content out to the community is a good thing! However I think this spiralled out of control after the author asked you to remove it providing a valid reason (e.g. he's got a little more work to do before he would release it there - to set the right message about mod quality) but you refused to take it down. It's good the situation is resolved, and mod authors will no doubt pick up steam as we progress forward.

The right way of doing this as Tuttle explained is to simply contact the author, make them aware of the steam workshop - even offer to upload it on their behalf if it's something they are not confident in doing. That way people are working together rather than against.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2015
  15. T@X

T@X Registered

Yes the question is mod quality ? Then he will upload Mosport that is better, right ?
    I even offered him tutoring on how to do it, but no reply ..
    Can we work on this NOW ? Can we please start to upload stuff there ?
    Mosport is good enugh.. you want me to help you in doing it shiet ? Because otherwise the only thing that is coming to mind is that someone is trying to boycott the workshop and for the wrong reasons.
    This is only hurting the users and the simulator community itself. Steam is big oppurtunity to get a larger community, money, and a better polished simulator.
    We want to keep being elitist ? I don't think so.

16. T@X

T@X Registered

Ok, so the problem is the quality ?
    Then Mosport is fine right ? Can we work to have it uploaded ?

17. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

If you wanted to send a message, perhaps you should have sent it directly to a modder, asking permission, or offering to help prior to redistributing their work? You did something bad, you got called out, stop trying to justify it, just say sorry and move forward on a different path?

What about all the other content you've published to the workshop? Claiming ignorance "we don't know if these mods are still being developed and/or the modder is stil active, AND , if he's eventually interested in uploading/maintaining his work in the Steam workshop" is not a valid legal defense. If one upload was bad and removed, how can you justify leaving all of the rest up for download?!

There are 103 entries in the workshop, you cannot claim that is nothing, you cannot say no one is uploading. Even excluding ISI content from the count there are other things in the workshop.

The person that made the content should be the only person uploading. What if they were working on it in their free time? What if they abhor Steam? Who gave you the right to determine that it *MUST* be available on Steam, and it must be *RIGHT NOW*? What needs to change is entitlement in this community. With attitudes like "its on the internet I can do whatever I want with it" it doesn't surprise me that no one is uploading. Why would anyone cater to that?

The worst case scenario is that modders find what they do for the community as thankless, unrewarding, and stop making toys for us to play with. I've already seen far too many walk away. Disrespecting modders by reuploading their creation elsewhere is a great way to help them out the door. If you really want to support the workshop and rf2, get to it and create something original to upload.

18. T@X

T@X Registered

Ok, so if the problem is the quality, we should work on uploading Mosport that is more polished right ? I'm still here, like i said before, to help shiet and other modders to understand how to upload their stuff there. Can we work on uploading it shiet ?
    If it's not complete like 95% of the stuff that everyone can share and enjoy everywhere , even on social networks,(but Steam seams so different, who knows why), it's not a big deal. ISI implemented the workshop because it's handy for the modders to update the items , for the users to subscribe/unsubscribe in a click.
    Still available to help Mosport make it to the workshop.

19. T@X

T@X Registered

@RJames (for some reason i cannot quote)
    Ok, so if the problem is the quality, we should work on uploading Mosport that is more polished right ? I'm still here, like i said before, to help shiet and other modders to understand how to upload their stuff there. Can we work on uploading it shiet ?
    If it's not complete like 95% of the stuff that everyone can share and enjoy everywhere , even on social networks,(but Steam seams so different, who knows why), it's not a big deal. ISI implemented the workshop because it's handy for the modders to update the items , for the users to subscribe/unsubscribe in a click.

20. T@X

T@X Registered

For some reason, i cannot quote, so to rjames : Ok, so if the problem is the quality, we should work on uploading Mosport that is more polished right ? I'm still here, like i said before, to help shiet and other modders to understand how to upload their stuff there. Can we work on uploading it shiet ?