Benefits of steam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Maybe i miss something, but this advise sound senseless to me. How he could drive online in his league, if he doesn`t go online with steam? No offense, just a question...

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Because you can play rFactor 2 using the Steam Offline Mode, while MultiPlayer is still working with its own route, outside Steam.

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

ISI can make older builds available through steam, for leagues that want to stay on a particular build. This works fine with other games where you can select different builds through the 'betas' tab in the game properties thing.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

What Tuttle said.
    Also I'm pretty clear rF2 won't update, never said anything about going for older builds. What I mean is that you at least can try to stop rF2 from going to new builds what could help you to keep racing in leagues, at some point they'll reach the current Steam version.
    This would also need some common sense from league admins to plan well so they won't go to a build a Steam user can't get. Like for example going from build 1028 to 1035 if rF2 is already on 1050. With good planning nobody is going to be excluded (of course if we can indeed stop rF2 from updating, as I said it needs test, I have nothing in my Steam that will update anytime soon, maybe AC, I'll see).

5. Justy

Justy Registered

I'm not sure what happens with steam in offline mode, but just setting rF2 to only update when you launch the game is not enough, as it simply won't let you play until it's updated.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

WOW...this is very cool, doesn`t knew this. Thanks!

//Edit: Hm... but what is with this information?

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

@Juergen-BY as it was said a bilion times: it needs testing. Now that someone got this info then the theory is most likely to fail.
    Why people have problems to read stuff? Gosh

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Steam = A) distraction, B) loss of control as ISI will surely abandon non-Steam, C) will drag down average IQ which will have cataclysmic ripple effect

9. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

This has been suggested a few times. I think this would be the only solution that would please the leagues. Keeping rF2 from updating will never work properly, it only needs one member who accidentally update and everything is screwed up.

10. Justy

Justy Registered

Hi Juergen, I just tried loading my old non steam rF2 in single player and everything seems to work just fine, all my content is available and works just fine. It looks as though, in theory, you could migrate your rF2 license to Steam, then you could add a years sub to the old non steam version to retain online access, which would obviously be cheaper than buying the game twice.

The only thing I am not sure about, is what would happen, if you should need to reactivate the non steam version (after reformat/hardware upgrade etc.). Perhaps then your original non steam version would cease to function, or revert to demo content only perhaps?

I have to disagree with this (assuming your post wasn't meant in jest).

Steam doesn't cause anymore distraction, although it does flash up notifications about friends activity while in-game, by default, those can all be turned off. In some respects there are fewer distractions, as you don't have to go trawling through forums, websites etc, looking for mods and then keeping them up-to-date, it's all done for you, which I personally find a HUGE plus. Although I do look in these forums often, there have been many mods which have received updates, or which were released, which I had no idea about.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "loss of control". Could you elaborate on this point?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "abandon" non-Steam and what exactly makes you think ISI would abandon the non-Steam version anyway?

As for the last comment, well, I'm not sure I want to know what you meant by that, so I'll ignore that one. :)

Not trying to goad you or anything, just interested in hearing why some folks are so set against, what should be a really positive move for ISI and rF2.

Cheers

11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for the informations, Justy

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

A bit tough when my old league is still running 946, right?

The only thing that would work is the beta-tab-thing...

13. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

To clarify, distraction is distraction to ISI. Loss of control means loss of control over versions and what is installed and updated, etc. There is zero percent chance ISI is going to support non-Steam long term and rF3 will surely be Steam only.

Bottom line is that any system regresses to the lowest common denominator and there is no way ISI will invest in anything for non-Steam which is available via Steam because all it takes is a majority to claim control isn't important, etc. to move away from the past. It is a simple global rule that introducing a disruptive (especially redundant) element into a system will impact the existing system etc.

I can easily list the many concessions that the community has already made and will continue to make and the fact is that you are all naive if you think Steam is all upside.

If you are that gullible then I will leave you to your own devices to discover it the hard way after it is too late.

Just to take a single example of absence of launcher updates from Steam version guarantees pressure from community to join Stream so there is a common catalog of mods etc. and this is just the beginning of failure to think this through and soon will be (already, actually) no turning back, etc.

The choice is clear and that is that there is no choice and inertia will be overwhelmed by d-bags who converted to Steam for absolutely no gain other than fluff which only retards care about etc.

The issue is (incredibly) ALREADY "why NOT move to Steam" instead of "why MOVE to Steam.

Can you guys seriously not see that? Nevermind. Obviously you can't.

The older guys out there will probably have better perspective and understand the forces at work here but the younger guys who play hundreds of other games lol will simply lack the perspective to understand that there is no free lunch.

The only benefit of Steam is pulling in more money and that will come at a cost to everyone. If you don't see that then you will soon enough or maybe not as tide has already shifted.

Congratulations, Steam, you've won.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Ah the old "Steam is devil spawn" tirade. Haven't heard that one in a while.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is fooling themselves into thinking that having rf2 on Steam is perfect. Nor is not having this sim on Steam perfect. You just have to weigh the pros and cons up agaist each other, like ISI has done, and Viola: Make a decision.

It is certainly nowhere near as dramatic or catastrophic as you make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

These days I'm puzzled by the amount of drama and negativity around everything. What's going on guys? Its a game not your entire life here, chill out everybody. Have fun playing the game, if you cant just move on, play football, make love with your partner...watch a movie....

Loss of control!? Forces at work? Pulling more money? WHAT?

"It is a simple global rule that introducing a disruptive (especially redundant) element into a system will impact the existing system etc. "

What the hell are u talking about?!

I'm serious; you should really take a rest, have a walk outside and breath. Met other people, have fun, stop posting negative nonsense like that as if you were coming back from the future after a black Steam plane with yellow ISI logos on the tail dropped a bomb on your house.

Stop acting like superheroes gonna save ISI and the entire world from disaster.....

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Frankly, I'm bored of reading bullcrap. Goodbye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.