Steam: Problem with installing an update

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by redapg, Nov 19, 2015.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

Because it seemed necessary to be able to "be up to date", i've, against my rejection of using steam, puchased a 40% off Copy.

Another reason was, to be able to put content into the workshop.

And here the problem showed up.
    I've uploaded the Lester track from 32_Pixels and also my little update of it.
    When done, i subscribed to both of them, started new and...... failure.

The problem seems to be that the installation routine don't take care of the order to first install the 1.00 and then 1.10.

It seemed to try to install 1.10 first and, of course, ended in an error because the 1.00 wasn't installed already.

I could solve that by:
    -shut down rfactor2
    -unsubscribing to the 1.10
    -delete the file lester_community_update_v110.rfcmp from the folder ..\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960\557581484
    -start rfactor2... Lester 1.00 gets installed now
    -shut down rfactor2
    -undoing the delete of the lester_community_update_v110.rfcmp file
    -start rfactor2... Lester 1.10 gets installed now

This should be solved soon please!! :)

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

I never liked the update process for track or car, always preferred to catch a brand new complete build. I think if we start to send the track, and later an update, and an update of update in the workshop it could quickly lead to a big mess. The fact we just have to subscript to a track should be enough to have it updated automatically when a new version is available. Having to search for a possible update and having to subscript to each of them to have the latest version of a track kill the easiest side of the workshop.

Just my opinion off course...

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Several things.

I am not sure if you have permission from 32 pixels to upload his track to workshop.
    I understand that the Workshop is intended to be used by content authors. I would not like none of my work uploaded there or in the remote content site by someone not belonging to our modding group.

I would understand as well that the Workshop is intended to host full components. Incremental updates should be avoided. The way rF2 works in terms of installing versions is a bit complicated unless you have dealt with it quite a lot and know all the possible combinations that might create problems. It should be noted that updated components typically work OK offline but show many problems when referenced from a vmod.

Incremental updates should be used especially for the following reasons:

- intermediate versions to provide to betatesters so that they can check for new bugs or confirm solutions of existing ones. Once a modder is happy with the result he should release a full component.

- small modifications usually of tracks to solve a particular track issue or to adapt it to championship characteristics (drs zones, garage spots, cheat zones, sponsors...). This works great when the update is included in the vmod and the update gets uninstalled when uninstalling the vmod.

For cars it is usually advisable to create full components if small modifications, driver names and skins want to be included. They will probably be used with more tracks (more vmods) and it is a pain to include such a massive component to be downloaded every time. As said, updated components give problems when referenced in a vmod.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Just 1 thing: as long as the Update Option is included in the "building components" UI, i will use it.
    As said before, Packaging (and that currently includes updating) is an important part of rF2 and because of that it should work properly in every aspect.
    And if it (updating) is not wanted to be used, it should be removed from the UI.

And because of the other things: i don't want to start the 1.389.427th dicussion about that here.

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I´m not a fan of updates either. And if this leads to problems, modders should avoid them (in workshop at least).

6. stonec

stonec Registered

There should be no reason to use updates for workshop content. Workshop is supposed to be intelligent enough to delete the old version and download the new one, once the author uploads a new version.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Edit.... posted in wrong thread. :D