Question about load cell brake pedals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marc Collins, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Helium

Helium Registered

I wasn't getting the point then. Simulating the hydraulic pressure and wearing brake pads is a "little" more complex :D.
    Changing the travel of the pedal probably won't be enough and even that is not easy to do. But I guess the system doesn't have to react very quickly. Using the real thing and working with the temperature is not an option I guess. Putting boiling brake fluid in your living room next to your feed is at least not something I'd like to do. Even when using a fluid with a much lower boiling point it's not something I'd suggest.

2. smbrm

smbrm Registered

3. Joe

Joe Registered

Now you make Simphiles crazy! LOL. I can say, truly, it is much harder to make a really really realistic sim pedal than a real race pedal.
    (There is no way one can make a sim pedal with temperature dependent behavior on HW part?). Good point. I did not know the fluid line temp can vary that much.

Wait, just add a heat on the sim fluid line. The heat is controlled by the sim SW?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

D
    Well, as long as you keep the temp in your sim pedal fluid around 20C it looks from this graph that there is not much difference in fluids. Now whether you would actually be able to "feel" these differences in hydraulic sim pedal or the differences at 20C between these fluids and rubber springs designed to mimic fluid compressibility would be interesting? Hardware, software,hardware, software?

5. Helium

Helium Registered

I am not sure if the compressibility of the brake fluid does matter too much. A linear behavior should be good enough and can be simulated quite easily.
    What needs to get simulated though is the transition to a gaseous state. And that's very tricky.

Even if you would build a real brake system with some kind of brake fluid you need tremendous amounts of energy to heat the system up to get some kind of realistic behavior. Four glowing brake discs are not shy when it comes to pumping heat into the system.

6. Joe

Joe Registered

Spring is out of question. For rubber, maybe, no body knows for sure. How big of the rubber need to simulate the total volume of fluid in the system and what is the stiffness needs, etc. It turns out to be pure subjective.
    Best approach is just get rid off the rubber. Use fluid only with long fluid lines like real brakes, and use open-loop with fluid reservoir. Then you have no such question.

7. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The fact that HPP is not solely hydraulic suggests that solely hydraulic may not have been capable of recreating the feel HPP was looking for? If HPP does build their hardware for race teams to use I am sure they would have had ample access to hardware and driver feedback to ensure some degree of compliance with reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
  8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have the CSP V3 as-well as the CSP V3 Damper Kit. I came from the CSP V2 w/ Mugen spring and damper and before that the stock CSP V2.

Here are my thoughts on the CSP V3:

I feel some aspects of the CSP V3 brake are actual inferior to the CSP V2. Yes, you have a loadcell in the CSP V3 which is capable of much higher amounts of force (use manual calibration in the Fanatec control panel since the auto calibration, at it's highest loadcell strength setting, is still generally weak especially if you wear shoes --- this may have changed thanks to CSP V3 firmware 1v22) but until you get to the loadcell "wall" (where there is hardly, if not any, movement - just pressure) the CSP V3 is quite weak even with the brake's hand-dial set to max.

Until you get to the loadcell "wall", the following issues exist with the CSP V3 (my opinion, of course):
    A. not even close to enough pressure
    B. un-positive feel, with hardly any progressive resistance, with only satisfactory controllability
    C. no ability to adjust pedal travel distance (this is personal preference but there should be a pedal travel adjustment - not just stiffnes/force adjustment - like there is with the CSP V2)

I have received the CSP V3 Damper Kit but haven't installed it yet. Hopefully it allows more force on the way to the "wall" (issue "A"), and a better feel and increase of force build-up on the way to the "wall" (issue "B"). I don't believe it's capable of affecting Issue "C" (it would be nice if I could have a bit less pedal-travel before hitting the "wall" especially if I can't get the stiffness and overall feel on the way to the "wall" to my liking like is possible through spring, spring pre-load, and damper combinations/adjustments with the CSP V2).

--------------

I'm not the only one who thinks that as another guy, in response to me, wrote