I think I figured out why the rain seems impossible to drive in!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeriousSpy, Nov 18, 2015.

1. SeriousSpy

SeriousSpy Registered

So, I've tried this with a friend too, and he concurs that normally the rain is practically impossible to drive in, he and myself have tried endless combinations, it seems the AI have trouble too.

All of the evidence against the fact that it's impossible seems to come from multiplayer races, I think the issue is that you cannot choose the amount of rain on track in singleplayer, it's either 0% or 100%, so to speak (with 0% being completely dry, and 100% being "We should seriously red flag the race now").

Could ISI possibly allow us to choose the amount of rain in singleplayer, or am I simply missing the option to do so?

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

With Gerald's weather plugins you can cap the percentage.... it's not official, but it's a workable work-around. 50% cap would still be race worthy I think!

3. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

4. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

True, it isn't impossible.

Just pick any car that was released from February 2015 onwards (IIRC), they have updated rain tires and are wonderful to drive in the wet.

5. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Some of the best races I've had have been when a shower has passed through and made the track wet and then dried out again. I also had an epic race at Croft in the Meganes where it hammered down, dried out a little in the middle so I was about to pit for slicks, but then it hammered down again!

I think you just need to find a car with decent working rain tyres, and then tip-toe - as you would in real life.

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I mean, people are having a blast with wet weather racing in SP, and many major leagues use changeable weather in their races.
    So with that in mind.. I don't see how rain would be impossible to drive in.

7. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

Driving in the rain on RF2 is brilliant fun. It's a little trickier of course but that's to be expected.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree with all the above
    , epic racing in the wet , drying line tempted to hold on a few laps before change to wets or back to slicks and then it comes down again or a wet qual and race start on a wet track and making the call in warmup to either risk slicks or start on wets. fantastic fun

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Next week our league, WRRacing.net, is doing our endurance race with the Howston G4/G6 at Nords with realtime weather. The weather forecast for next Tuesday is 0 degrees and SNOW! Aren't we lucky the weather system isn't more complicated :D

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Driving in the rain works fine for me in single-player. Default weather (not scripted) at Belgium GP will give you showers. I think Malaysia default has similar?

And, as has been mentioned, if you really want to tinker with weather, then Gerald's weather tool is a must-have: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/11398-rFactor2-Weather-Tool

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Spa also can have different weather from one end of the track to the other.

12. SeriousSpy

SeriousSpy Registered

Multiplayer or singleplayer?

I tried the Camaro on a variety of tracks, along with the Renault Clio, the AI couldn't even drive the Camaro most of the time, and the car instantly spun as soon as I touched the throttle, brake or even started to turn.

I'm talking about starting a race in the rain, not having rain start during a race.

Myself and my friends would say otherwise, considering it's literally impossible for us to drive, the cars instantly spin as soon as you start to either turn, or use the throttle or brake.

Guys, I've tried again and again, the rain is impossible to drive in, no matter the car or track. I think I'll make a video to explain it. Is there an App that will show throttle/brake as iRacing shows it?

I've driven in the rain in GTR2, Race 07, F1 Challenge (actually made by ISI), and it's possible and works perfectly in all three, it also works perfectly in PCARS, this is literally the only sim where it's impossible.

13. Marketcrash16

Marketcrash16 Registered

Not tryin to sound like a jerk, but are you sure you selected rain tires? I just boughtthe game and have had no issues in sp with different amounts of rain. The first time was hell because I had slicks on by default.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you use the replay (either actually loading up the replay, or just looking at the 'current' replay in the garage) the overlay will have small controls graphs, otherwise you could use one of the various HUD plugins that are able to show your controls live.

Recent ISI tyres lose quite a bit of grip on a full wet track, but they aren't undriveable. It's possible you're just misjudging the changes required, partly because the sense of speed is generally reduced so you can feel like you're hardly moving when you're actually still going quite quickly. But an overall laptime loss of 15-20 seconds you might experience on wet tyres on a fully wet track nearly all comes through the corners and corner exits, and it can be surprising just how much slower that is.

*Also worth taking the time to check your throttle response (the Controls screen will do) to make sure you don't have any spiking with low throttle inputs. It can make dry driving a little more tricky, but wet driving will be downright dangerous.

15. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Are the FISI2012 going to be updated anytime soon? It's a fundamental flaw they have when they can't drive in the rain and it makes it worse when there the only modern ISI F1 car to choose from.

16. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

That was in multiplayer, VEC is an endurance league. It started raining during the formation lap, after 2 or 3 hours of rain it went dry for 30 minutes, after that it rained till the end of the race.

What you describe sounds like driving on slicks in the rain. Select rain tires in the garage menu (or in the pit menu whilst on track) and it should be fine. Traction control, ABS and gentle steering, throttle and braking inputs can help as well ofcourse.

17. Emery

Emery Registered

Pedal Overlay Plugin, read first post in this link for latest version: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin

Impossible? That's your experience against our experience. Gonna take some hard explaining to convince us that our experience is wrong while your experience is the only way.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

In addition to yourself using wet tires, you might also want to ensure the AI are using wet tires. I just tried Clio Cup at Palm Beach, 100 difficulty, 50% aggression, 0 AI limiter... my lap times were 15+ seconds faster than the AI and judging by their behavior, they were still on slicks while I had changed to wets.

Double your braking distance and use half the pedal. If you haven't yet, turn down the pedal sensitivity unless you're using a load cell brake. Shortshift for maximum acceleration or else endure wheelspin. It's bloody slow compared to dry racing in the Clio, but totally under control if you're judicious. Absolutely possible to race. Looking forward to seeing your video!

19. SeriousSpy

SeriousSpy Registered

Yes, I selected rain tyres, I would assume the AI were using rain tyres, surely they'd automatically switch if the session is started in the rain.

As for using half the pedal, hell, I can't use 10% of the pedal, it just instantly spins. Same with braking. And turning, for that matter, it's like I have 0% grip. It's a lot more bearable with FWD cars, but they just understeer incredibly, no matter the speed.

I'll try using that plugin to set the rain to 50% later, see if that helps at all.

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Again - Turn down sensitivity of your pedals. It's a lot easier to control the slow & the fast if you do.

I just tried the Camaro, same track, same setting. Yes, the AI switch to rains from the get-go; likely there's a bug in the Clio since rain tires are new to it. Didn't see the AI spinning or having trouble. Injudicious use of the loud pedal will spin you. Camaro braking with wets is pretty good compared to the Clio. With the Camaro, I'm a couple seconds slow compared to the AI. Practice and you'll get better in the rain.

Let's see, oh... I was able to set rain to 75% in the scripted part and one of my trials started without rain & quickly progressed to rain while others started with rain & had the occasional break, so you may not be figuring out how to set it for each session? Still, we all like Gerald's plug-in because it's more capable than the basic scripted weather.