Advantage of getting the Steam version as well?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeffro503, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Jeffro503

Jeffro503 Registered

Hey guys , I've only had RF2 for a little over a month. Been playing GSCE for the past 3yrs and finally decided to try this sim , and I love it! Love em' both actually!

The thing is , since I just bought this and am happy with how everything is working just the way it is , why do I need a Steam version? I would like to have both ( 2 installs ) so I could try different mods and so forth without packing one install to the gills. But I don't really see a reason for it , unless I'm missing something? I actually have 3 separate installs of GSCE AND the Steam version. All 4 are different versions and so forth because there are so many mods out there , that one install can completely get cluttered. With RF2 , I don't have hardly any mods , but quite a few tracks and some extra cars and so forth , but other than that , it's still pretty minimal.

I think RF2 has a great program here with the way you can open it up and install or uninstall certain tracks , mods ect on the fly before you actually launch the game. I'd like to support RF2 as much as I can , but I'm finding it to be hard to justify getting the steam version. Even though " Right now! " there is a deal going on at Steam for this sim for 40% off! My finger is twitching! Just don't know if I need it?

2. Tony

Tony Registered

Since I've been running FSX, pCars & Asseto on Steam I've noticed offers popping up for most of their hosted games/sims at irregular intervals, & 40% is attractive, but there'll probably be others in the future

You talk about the first install being up to the gills, & I agree - this is a bore & something common to all games on Steam.

After the BIG install I gather you can go to the Steam Workshop & unsubscribe from all the content you didn't want downloaded in the first place.

Then when you start up rF2 from the launcher it will uninstall those selected tracks/cars (this doesn't work if the launcher is already open)

Multiplayer is compatable to Steam/non-Steam also I think

nb. I haven't done any of this yet - just what I've learned from trawling through one or two threads

3. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

The non-steam one allows one to create multiple installations on the same box, meaning you can have a bit of flexibility, perhaps one oval install, one open-wheel install, one GT install, and installs of different versions (you might race in 2 leagues which require different versions) etc. Right now, there's not much to recommend the steam version given the lack of control over versions etc.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If you had 2 PC
    If you modded could be handy.
    Running Old builds and packages
    Testing long sessions , running ai learning
    Steam for online, the other one for offline
    Doing video on one or using as a 2nd camera ie : offline set up a closed server add ai and a spectator
    Test driver swaps by yourself lol
    2 separate drivers , careers and rF2Ranks , League