Steam - Autosubscribing to items - and no start....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lbird, Nov 17, 2015.

1. lbird

lbird Registered

Hello fellow rf2 people,

i just moved to steam and installed the game. Upon trying to start i am greeted with the popup that rf2 is "Autosubscribing to ISI contents". But even if i wait there is no visible download activity and the packages and installed folders stay empty. I tried to manually subscribe to all ISI contents, but no result either.
    I already uninstalled the old rf2 version and renamed the packages folder. Do i have to delete anything else, probably in my user folders?
    I uninstalled rf2 again and would like to do it right this time.

Any hints what to check before installing? I would like to get a real clean install, i saved my old packages folder separately.

CU lbird

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

The workshop packages will be downloaded to the "rFactor 2\cache\" folder. Check if something is happening in there.

3. lbird

lbird Registered

And do i get any kind of feedback when its ready or do i just have to wait an hour or two?

4. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

IIRC you will see it downloading in the Steam app, and once the launcher starts the it will say something like synchronzing with workshop while the content is being unpacked and installed in the "rFactor2\Intsalled" folder.

5. lbird

lbird Registered

OK, got it. Anything else to delete before from the old version?

6. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Nothing.

7. lbird

lbird Registered

Thank you for the hints, i will try later today and hopefully getting it to work. Not a big deal anyway, i expected some hiccups when integrating into steam and the workshop thing.....

8. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Sometimes Steam client suffers some hickups. Usually restarting Steam and rF2 launcher solves the problem.

9. lbird

lbird Registered

Worked like a charm when done right. Thanks for your help guys!

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok. Download RF2 from Steam.

Then, it will still look like you haven't subscribed to anything.

Install RF2 from Steam.

It will still look like you haven't subscribed to anything.

Play RF2 from Steam.

The RF2 Launcher will pop up and do a bunch of Steam syncing, installing, etc. stuff. Give it a minute, or 2, or 5, or whatever, to fully finish doing all that.

You will now, and only as of now (not anytime prior) see that you have been subscribed to all ISI content in Steam Workshop. If, for whatever reason, you still don't see you've been subscribed then close the RF2 Launcher, close Steam, start Steam, start RF2 from Steam (the RF2 Launcher should open) and you should now see that you've been subscribed to all ISI content in Steam Workshop.

You don't need to wait for the ISI cars/circuits to download as they've already been downloaded as part of the game's intial 9.9 GB download.

EDIT: I see you've already found your way, good stuff :)

11. rhamm

rhamm Registered

The items in rFactor2\cache are actually considered core items and were included in the first part of the game download.

It actually downloads workshop packages to their own individual folder inside "Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960\" and installs them to the game from there.

12. Vintook

Vintook Registered

I've developed a strange issue now and I think it involves the rFactor2\cache folder.The game keeps crashing out when I try to launch it. It worked fine the other day, I then tried to manually install the trackmap plugin, then the game crashed. I removed that but now anytime I subscribe to the stockcar mod, the game will crash. Is there a way to redownload just one of the \cache items? I really don't want to redownload the entire game again.

13. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Since you're unsubscribed from the Stock Car mod you can download it from the link below and then add it to your \rfactor 2\Packages folder and then install it via the rFactor 2 launcher. Would be interesting to see if that fixes your problem with that particular piece of content. If it doesn't you can still uninstall it via the launcher as well.

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Right click on rF2 in steam list, go to properties, verify game cache. Anything funky or missing will be fixed.