Modders, please populate the Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Associat0r, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Helium

Helium Registered

Problem is that the modders have to deal with a far away from ideal situation. And the way things look now people seem to expect a solution from them.
    Depending on the point of view it might have been a smart move from ISI to separate the community and this might lead to the workshop being the winner in the end. Imho there is one very important point even modders cannot ignore. Now that there is steam almost all the sales will be made there. So the workshop will grow and I am almost 100% sure that mods that are in the workshop will get a lot more downloads and attention.

You could just ignore that but if your plan is to reach the maximum amount of people you shouldn't. The uploads from people that have nothing to do with the mods will not stop and the only way to have full control over your download stats and comments is to upload the stuff yourself :D.

2. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I never realized until reading this thread that third parties could put stuff in the remote content tab. After looking at it I can see why it's considered easier to upload a project there than to put it in the Steam Workshop. Then again in remote content all a person sees is a small line of text telling them what the download is. In Steam Workshop a mod maker can upload screenshots, a long description and videos so people can understand what they're getting instead of wondering if the download is just another crap conversion.

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Not sure if you are being sarcastic. rF2 lacked a mod central for years, now we finally have one. And no, the launcher remote tab is not a proper mod central, it's nothing but a mess. You can't rate, review or post screenshots of mods, plus the links are author links that might break at any time.

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

It's only for Steam users though, right?

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Yes, and Steam users don't have the remote content tab.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

When the remote content was introduced in the launcher several months ago, nobody opened a thread asking for modders to upload their content to it. At that time it was a tool for all rF2 users.

It wasn't even properly introduced to the users. I discovered it by chance and I am a daily forum reader.

Was it easier then to download stuff via webpage before? I guess it was the same as now.

So why support now something that is not available for old non steam users? I would love to know how many modders have moved to steam.

As I said, it is ISI who has created this segregation. Before asking modders to feed the Workshop to benefit only a part of the community, ask ISI to put a solution to this.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Wow that's pretty stupid

8. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

9. FlashQld

FlashQld Registered

Hi all - do you need to have rFactor 2 in steam to upload. I'm having difficulties uploading as it says access denied. As all modders would know you need multiple environments and one used install of the game is inefficient to mod with. After all you need a clean environment to test etc. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know if I am expected to have a steam version then maybe this hasn't been completely thought through. After all I'm sure the devs that do modding don't have it all running on their steam version. Anyway look forward to hearing from someone about this. Spent too much time on it, after all its for rFactor 2 - doesn't make a difference to me in the end.

10. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

you need steam version to upload to the workshop Flash

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If you have mod Get Mod activated it won't matter whether its steam or not. ? ;)

You have any idea what this v2.01 V8SC is on the launcher. ?

Why I said 4 years ago before any mods they should be controlled by ISI.

Community modding panel could test and pass 3rd Party for ISI to add while ISI controls the 3PA.

12. FlashQld

FlashQld Registered

If you have mod Get Mod activated it won't matter whether its steam or not. ? ;) You know for years I have stuck in my cocoon and ventured out so little, every now and then to have a go at pirates and rippers but mostly in my shell modding away. This whole get mod thing has me perplexed. I presume a server can do it, if I don't have the server I can't do it can I?

You have any idea what this v2.01 V8SC is on the launcher. ? Yes it's the converted ORSM mod with VE as the Nissan, the borrowed S60 and the VE version of a Merc. Nothing to do with us off course.

Why I said 4 years ago before any mods they should be controlled by ISI. Yes I agree.

Community modding panel could test and pass 3rd Party for ISI to add while ISI controls the 3PA.[/QUOTE] Yep I agree totally

Anyway I worked it out - years ago ISI gave me a copy as a DEV tester and I bought one as well, can't recall why, maybe I was generous. Anyway to cut a long story short, yes you do need to have a steam account. Still think its inefficient way to mod. I have that many files here there and every where. Would never work for me. Funny thing it's an old Dos Shell window format to upload and it does dots to tell you of the progress, 800mb lol - and no clue as to how long it would take. Again its about efficiency.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Heavens to betsy ! I have to print that out and frame it for my wall. !@!

hahahaha ;)

Serious though it made sense to me I even suggested it back in the F1C / GTR beta days.......but it got totally laughed off.

I dunno I still see this big vision of a "Modders and Painters Co-Op" with paid up members, charter and code of ethics.
    ....... like any other serious world-wide non-profit organization, sport, hobby or pastime has. :rolleyes:

======

Really interested in this new Rieza sim Flash, if you haven't already people buy SCE the next week and get 2 sims for $35AU

http://www.game-automobilista.com/

Perfect companions for rF2.

At least now mate I can talk about a " new Sim" rather then getting shut up when I start to blither on about rF3.

I like the sound of......
    A new "Car-Select" innovation without packaging maybe, offline too ! ?

Maybe packaging with offline car select ! :)
    I would love that.........
    Obviously must be something different for them to spend a whole paragraph talking about it.

========

P.S. What I meaning about is if you set up an account to handle "Get Mod" both non-steam and steam users can auto download it from within the server ( at least I think Steam can...)

The problem with Non-Steam is it locks you from doing anything with rF2 while you download.

I assume the Steam version you are free to drive while downloading from workshop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2015
  14. FlashQld

FlashQld Registered

I'll get the other blokes in the team to investigate Get Mod function and get it working. I only know pixels, points and triangles.

That Reiza Sim sounds and looks great. I just changed over and got my Steam key sorted. Hadn't heard about it. I live in a cave you know. Geez and we were so close to getting our mod onto GSCE as well. I best fix that flickering cockpit and we get it out there before the 5th.

15. stonec

stonec Registered

Bump. One month since the last workshop item was posted by anyone and almost two months for the item before that. It's a waste of effort that ISI even implemented support for this function if it's not going to be used for anything...

16. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I think a lot of people, modders included are waiting for the 12 month subs to expire before they migrate to steam.

17. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

there is also a lot of us that just don't even want to go near steam for whatever reason :eek:

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The steam list seems same content as the non-steam launcher ?

You want to talk sad...

There was no Grand Prix Legends track added to the database in 2015.

The last was Spa 1967 , Christmas '14 :(

http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Whatsnew

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
  19. Remik

Remik Registered

+1 :)