rFactor 2 on Steam problems

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Fraustbit, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Already own the standard version. Bought lifetime Steam version. First thing is in any view, the resolution in both single and multi-player is so huge, I can't hardly see left or right on the track in cockpit view and can't zoom far enough out in Swingman view to see much besides the car on the screen. In developer mode, all views work perfectly. The other thing is that the Steam version doesn't show my nick name while on track. It says "Your Nickname" but in the launcher, it shows my Steam nickname. Latest video card drivers and nothing changed on my system. The standard version shows all views and my nickname fine. The Steam version does not. Anyone else having this issue? This makes the Steam version very un-playable, compared to the standard version.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Unplayable because of your name isn't right?!

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Hi Fraustbit, I know this might sound silly, but have you tried setting the screen resolution up from the video settings in the launcher? Not sure about the name problem, I jumped on a server to test and it was my normal rF2 nickname that was displayed. I seem to remember seeing other people on some servers that also were called "my Nickname" and this was a while ago, on the non-steam version. Maybe this is an old bug that has taken a shine to your nice new Steam install.

Hope you get it sorted. :)

4. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Woodee, You obviously missed the part about the screen rez being so huge that all I can see is the car in Swingman and in cockpit, I can't even see the steering wheel. The views all work in Dev mode, but not in single or multi-player. That's the primary problem. The fact that my nickname is properly identified in Dev Mode but not single player or multi-player obviously doesn't make the game un-playable.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  5. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

This might sound silly Justy, but I've set up the video rez from the video config settings as well as in the launcher multiple times, with no change in the result. I've also re-installed the game, just in case something happened during installation. Didn't help. In the Steam game in Dev Mode, the screen rez and zoom work as they should but not in single or multiplayer mode. This problem doesn't occur in the stand alone game in either single or multiply player. Just the Steam version. As for the other problem of "Your Nickname" being shown instead of my steam nick name that could indeed be a bug, but I have no idea what's causing it, at this point. Yes, I have the latest drivers. I even swapped monitors, just in case that could somehow be the problem but no, that wasn't it, either. Just for laughs, I tried the Steam version in Windowed Mode. It crashed. For more laughs, I turned the rez down from 1920X1080 to 1600X900 and got the same result. Can't see the wheel in cockpit view and can't see much more than the car in Swingman, as zooming out doesn't go out far enough to make the game playable. I'm at a loss as to what is causing it, but having spent $50 on the Steam version with lifetime, it's supremely annoying.

And for further laughs, none of my other racing SIMS are having ANY ISSUES WHATSO EVER (and never have).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  6. Justy

Justy Registered

That's very odd. I didn't even have to alter my screen res, when I migrated rF2 to Steam, come to think of it, it was set to my monitors native res by default. Only other thing that has caught me out before, is the refresh rate settings can sometimes make the display look weird.

With regards to the nickname issue, I didn't mean it was a problem with your setup, but maybe it's an old rF2 bug that hasn't been squished yet, like I say I've seen that exact same thing before, many months ago on Non-Steam versions.

Does it help if you copy your player.json from your non-steam version, to your steam version?

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Dev mode and single/multiplayer have separate player files, and video configs. Check the button next to the video settings in the launcher. Your FOV will vary from dev mode to single/multiplayer.

Different games work differently... learn to use each of them.

8. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Yes, "different games work differently". In this case, the Steam version isn't working the same as the stand alone version. It has nothing to do with "knowing how to use each" or the implication that I don't know how to set up the video rez in this game (or any other, for that matter). It has nothing to do with the "video settings button" in the launcher or in the Config file, because both of those are set to 1920X1080 and the same video rez problem exists regardless of the video rez setting that I choose. See if you can think of an actual cause for this problem that isn't user related because I can assure you that I not only know how to set this and every other game up that I've ever used, my settings in this and the stand alone version are identical, with different results. And by the way, for laughs, I reinstalled my video card drivers (the latest version) and the rez problem doesn't exist on the stand alone version, while it remains on the Steam version. This is not a "user issue", I can assure you.

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well, I'm not, neither is anyone else, a mindreader. We don't know what you have tried so far nor what your experience is. It's a case of elimination to find the bug so others can recreate it and squash it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

10. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Ok. Well, it's clearly not a video rez set up issue. I've spent the majority of my day trying everything I could think of to determine why it's happening and have yet to find a definitive answer. Let's just hope it's an isolated incident and not a symptom of a problem that others may end up having. It's not hardware. It's not video card drivers. The only thing different in my box was buying and installing (and re-installing) the Steam Version and the video rez issue hasn't gone away yet, accept when in dev mode. And since I can't change the video rez from dev mode and it's defaulting to the rez set up in the config file (whether done directly from the config file itself or the launcher, which uses the config file), it seems pretty odd that in dev mode where it's basically using the same config file, the video rez problem doesn't exist, but in single and multi-player, it does.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

What is your computer spec?

12. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

AMD FX-4130 CPU at 4GHz. Windows 10 32bit 8GB but it uses 3.5 in 32bit. GeForce GTX 660 with latest drivers @1920X1080. Logitech G27. 24" Dell Monitor

13. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Sounds like your field of view is like 1% or something really low. Make it around 50% and see if it's better.

14. matf1

matf1 Registered

Sure you haven't got some old rogue files hanging around?
    I know it doesn't add up in your circumstance, but it reminds me when steam pointed to an old install instead of the one I thought I had set it to.

15. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

That might apply if this wasn't a newly released game but to be sure, I uninstalled the game three times, deleted all of the files in the game folder, and reinstalled the game with the same results. And this problem occurred without any add ons, mods, or third party cars installed, so it definitely isn't happening due to some rogue mod files. I'm just getting started on my second day of trying to figure out and fix this. If I could at least get the field of view issue resolved, I'll just deal with the "Your Nickname" later. The "Your Nickname" issue won't become a problem until I join league races. I've been hoping rFactor 2 would eventually come to Steam. Now that it has, I am committed to getting this game to run properly on Steam.

16. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Vertical Field of View in the Steam version was set to "10". Set it to "Default" and it still looked the same. Can't zoom out far enough. Checking my Stand Alone version Field of View for comparison.... Vertical Field of View is set to "Default" and the zoom problem isn't happening in the stand alone version. What else could it be... hmmm... and yet, the Dev Mode doesn't exhibit this problem....

17. Fraustbit

Fraustbit Registered

Changed FOV from Default to 80 and everything is normal now. Not sure why "Default" worked on the stand alone but the Steam version likes different settings. Live and learn. I'll now address the "Your Nickname" issue separately before getting back to League Races, as the inability to properly identify myself in league races will be a problem. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and assistance here. You guys RAWK!!! ;)

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

That nickname thing is in another thread so I am sure it will be patched if possible.