Where would you place these 4 racing games on a scale from arcadey to serious sim?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tokyodan, Nov 13, 2015.

1. peterchen

peterchen Registered

How impressions can differ........

2. Jeffro503

Jeffro503 Registered

I have twice as many mods and cars in GSCE than I do with RF2. :confused:

I love both sims , but that is ridiculous.

3. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

If you just look at the steamcharts, then is the ranking:
    http://steamcharts.com/cmp/365960,244210,234630,44350#7d

1: pCars (peak 2065)
    2: AC (peak 1739)
    3: Grid 2 (peak 442)
    4: rFactor2 (peak 313)

rFactor2 has only a history of one week at steam and Grid 2 is 2.5 years old.

But you ask for sim ranking. My personal opinion is:

1) rFactor2
    2) AC

3) pCars

4) Grid 2

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  4. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

4: rF2, R3E, iRacing, GSC, RBR
    3: AC, DIRT, PCARS too many assists (auto pit, no stalling, ...)
    2: GRID2

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

What's ridiculous? Give me one non-crap example of something similar to Howstons or 60s F1.

6. coops

coops Banned

AGREE it only causes fights and arguments just like comparisons from sim to sim. Threads like these should be shut dwn as soon as they start.

7. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Registered

I just got my wheel last December, and bought AC straight away when it was going to 1.0. I got around 380 hours on it now and I'm nowhere near a good driver.

I got GSC on July, but never really played much because the UI is very complicated, I never seem to be able to do what I want when I want, setting up practice sessions and races can be very complicated. I never got the patience to work it out so I never really played it.

This week I got rF2 just when it launched on Steam, and since I have college to study for I didn't play very much, but comparing it to AC, it feels like the physics aren't very different, what changes is that rF, like GSC, has a more complex UI, but is also a lot more complete, like rain, night racing, better AI, I can't say the FFB is better or worse because I still didn't make out the difference. The trouble for me is that there are too many settings to fiddle with, like brake ducts and radiator size, things which I believe don't really fit a "casual simmer" like myself.

If you're looking for a complete racing experience, go for rF, if you're looking for very detailed cars and tracks, as well as some better looks, go for AC, but don't expect to have rain, night, or even multigrooving, because IMO the dev's don't seem like they're willing to develop any feature that takes them more than 2 days at work, which drives me crazy.

As for myself, for the time being I think I'll mostly stick with Assetto Corsa, because pretty much all I do is practice, and I don't believe I would be able to enjoy rF too much since I don't know anything about setups and can't lap any track less than 4 seconds close to a competitive lap. If I ever become competitive, I'll probably have a blast playing rF2.

8. bwana

bwana Registered

Sounds like offline racing would be your thing Poguinhas ? if that's the case you would be best to give rF2 some more time(when you get it with studies), as you do, the little features that make rF2 outstanding will become evident. You will also become faster driving against AI that can actually drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2015
  9. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Registered

Makes sense. I seem to have hit a wall on my skill, I got to a point where I'm not fast, but also don't know what to do to improve. I'll definitely take some time during this summer(southern hemisphere) to look into rF's features and enjoy what it has to offer.

10. Depco

Depco Registered

Poguinhas,

I would suggest racing online and start asking questions. I have found the racing community to be very friendly and more than willing to offer helpful hints to a specific track or more general setup guidance. Also, About the FFB. If you take a bit of time to read the FFB setup guide on the forums you will be rewarded with the most sublime driving experience available. I really mean it. The guide helps get every little bump and slip into the wheel.

Back on topic:

1 RF2 - True "Racing Simulator"
    2 AC - More of a "Race cars around a track simulator"

The rest are an unknown to me as I don't own them.

Both above games are fun in their own ways, but for actually simulating a race weekend rF2 has it hands down.

11. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

1) GSCE
    2) rFactor 2
    3) Assetto Corsa
    the
    first one the better for me...
    btw I am noob at all of them so don't care about my opinion lol

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I often give a ride in pCars more to have a laugh and take graphics ideas than other stuff.

I realized the car physics are not so bad when you have your driving stabilized but when the car looses the rear or the front, the physics of recovery is SO horrible, the car keeps like a pendulum in a very faked way.

So is

RF2
    AC
    All Microprose stuff
    Broderbund Stunts
    Test Drive the Duel Amiga Version
    pCars

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Grid - 1
    AC - 2
    PCARS - 2
    rF2 - 4

But AC is going to change. Saw now they are bringing rain and major multiplayer rework, when they get night racing rF2 is going to have a hard time. If people now think AC is already ahead of rF2 let alone when they see this stuff in game. I guess in my next attempt (in 6 months) I won't unninstall it after 20 minutes anymore lol

14. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

...they said (AC Crew) we will never have night and rain...where you read or listen about this?

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Someone translated an interview with Kunos on Reddit. It said rain "soon" (after console release maybe). Night on the other hand is not even close, no idea if would come, just sounded like they'd do in a distant future.
    Honestly, with AC graphics this would look stunning, I don't care if it's a camera view or "human eyeish" view. It just would be nice on looks. Can't see it happening in like 2 or 3 years tho.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Some people seem to be a bit confused. The reddit user mistranslated and a certain sim blog jumped all over that mistranslation.

There won't be rain nor night racing in AC. The interview confirms just that.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh I don't care about the certain sim blog, the guy has some serious problems lol can't even call that a "sim blog"
    Just saw on reddit, thanks for making it clear. Too bad there is no rain or at least night then, looks like no AC to me any time soon

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

rFactor 2 = 4
    The rest = Who cares?

19. pas74

pas74 Registered

Rfactor 2 = 4
    Ac = 3
    Pc= 2

Inviato dal mio SM-T705 utilizzando Tapatalk

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Doesn't really matter...

I'd rate Iracing as 4, same with Netkar Pro, just like RF2 and SCE, yet IR, and NKP all drive completely different due to different physics engines (including tyre model, obviously). So just because multiple sims are a "4", doesn't mean that all those "4" sims drive the same or are all equal to one-another. And just because a game is a "4" instead of a "3" or "3.5", doesn't necessarily mean the "4" sim does everything better than the "3" or "3.5" sim.

The rating scale is how "serious" the devs are about physics, I feel, yet that doesn't directly translate into superior physics (although it can but not necessarily).