Where would you place these 4 racing games on a scale from arcadey to serious sim?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tokyodan, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Tokyodan

Tokyodan Registered

I've read so many contrasting and differing opinions I'm having a hard time getting a picture of what these games really are. So, on a scale from 1 (arcadey) to 4 (serious sim), where would you place these four games? Grid 2, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, rFactor2?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Skan

Skan Registered

Other peoples opinions might not answer Your question. The answer will come from how you feel about each title you mentioned.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Most of us would agree on a certain order but you won't have an easier time getting a picture about the games. You need to go and read about them individually and what they try to portray. There's also some stuff in one of the titles, that is simulated but the issue is how that interacts with the rest as well as the extension of it.

Edit: the "dan" part of your username unfortunately recalls to another user who seemed to only be able to make troublesome posts

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
  4. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

I havent played Grid, so cant comment, I would say Pcars and Asseto Corsa are similar - 2/3 sim 1/3 arcadey.. I would say Rfactor is the purist sim of them all with IRacing nestle between Rfactor and Pcars.. (but thats just my opinion).. - IRacing however is very expensive if you get into it.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Nah, not going to take the bait. This theme has been discussed to death.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Grid 2 = 1
    Assetto Corsa = 3
    Project Cars = 2
    rFactor2 = 4
    DiRT Rally = 2
    iRacing = 4

Anything 2 or over I would consider for fun. There are only two hardcore simulators available to the common consumer.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This is a trick question guys ....don't be fooled ! lol

rF2=4

AC =3
    pCars =2.5
    Grid2 =1.5

Grid is certainly not the worse arcade so not a 1

8. DA

DA Registered

Only rFactor 2!

Second maybe iRacing.

9. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Grid 2,......1
    Assetto Corsa, ....3
    Project Cars,...2
    rFactor2?....4

I also place Race07/raceON/SCE as 4 also.

10. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Weird. Doesn't feel that long ago that people were still debating the validity of Live for Speed (now rather left behind) and Netkar Pro (basically abandonware as of this year). Oh, and the potential of West Racing Legends (more vapor than game for years).

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Slap me, I am dreaming ..........

Such a cruel hoax it was.

http://www.simracingworld.com/conte...acing-legends-progress-update-september-2003/

hehehe

[​IMG]

Stop it !

lol ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  12. Tokyodan

Tokyodan Registered

Well that wasn't me as I don't think I've ever posted on Tapatalk before, and especially not in this forum.

13. Riverside

Riverside Registered

I will also run away from this one but can't help to invite you to try the dark horse in this race, Raceroom Racing Experience, try it on Steam (hopefully before the thread gets swamped with long papers about biz model and such), just feel the graphics and the sound, do setups and race it for free in Portimao...

Just saying....

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Since we delving out past the physical.

If I am truthful even though I have not driven it and Nords is not my all time favorite.

I would have to rate iRacing - 5 alone. :eek: ( traitor !!! ) p

Not because of physics, not from what I seen watching videos and been told in my room anyway.

Because of nothing but a promo and preview of a single track......... " THE NORDS" I call it. lool

That is simply without doubt the best track in any sim or game any format I have ever seen.

Makes Assetto Corsa version and all others including that console look like....I do not know how to put it nicely.

The resources, data and technique for track making they have developed.

Is there any chance, perish the thought they could do Isle of Man........

Hello iRacing - Goodbye rF2.............

lool jk jk jk

15. Tokyodan

Tokyodan Registered

Downloading now. Thanks for the suggestion.

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Hmm, and nobody brought up another dark horse contender: GSCE.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hardly a darkhorse either :)

18. Jeffro503

Jeffro503 Registered

Gawd dang! No love for GSCE?? If that aint a full blown , pretty much best of the best sim , then I don't know what is. :confused: To me personally , GSCE , RF2 and Iracing are all sitting at a 10+ ( on a scale of 1-10 anyways ) on the sim scale. I have AC as well , but wouldn't really rate that above a 8.5 - 9 at the moment , but I do consider it a sim. PC cars....I haven't gotten this yet , but need to do some more research. I don't know what cars , mods , tracks and ect it comes with or where to get them if I wanted them.

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

GSC needs more variety in cars

20. Redglyph

Redglyph Registered

It's hard to just define "serious sim". In contrast to arcade games (like F1 2015 and so on), it's clear there's an emphasis on physics accuracy, but what about graphics, sound, racing rules, weather, time of the day, career sim, FFB feeling, content, ...?

AC: 3.5, very good physics, especially since the last tyre model. Enough content, very good cars and very good tracks, also a lot of mods but of average to good quality. Unfortunately the AI is terrible and there are almost no rules so the racing environment is a bit poor (no pitting except partly in MP, no qualifications in career mode, never saw a safety car, not possible to prepare gear on grid start, ...). No night/day cycle, no weather either. You'll find GT cars, road cars, open wheel cars (including F1), some history cars.

rF2: 3.4. Physics usually good, there's a good base but not enough content so very much dependent on mods, for which the quality is very average. AI is quite good, racing rules good, weather is officially there but terrible, day/night cycles are very good. Needs a good polishing and probably a revamped graphics engine. Too expensive for the content/quality. You'll find GT cars, road cars, open wheel cars (including F1), history cars and tracks (including Spa and Monza!).

pCARS: 3.2. Physics is good but feel slightly inferior to AC and rF2 (too much grip, tyre model less convincing, no flat spots for ex.). FFB needs a lot of tuning, and is badly supported/explained, not very subtle. AI is fine. Day/night cycles and weather very good (no so much as featuring rain puddles or buffetings though). Quite polished and good content. You'll find GT cars, road cars, open wheel cars (including F1), some prototypes, some history cars, hopefully soon some history tracks.

R3E: 3.1. Physics is nice, car unsettling effects were too exaggerated but that has improved since DTM 2015. AI is good, but has a tendancy to remain in file. FFB good, needs tuning though. Graphics and sound are very good. No weather, no day/night cycles unfortunately. Racing rules are good but can't set the number of laps. Big problem with the pricing model, very expensive, and always gives the impression of being after your money. Well polished and enough quality content. Mainly GT cars, some prototypes.

So it all depends whether one prefers a more complete package (that would be pCARS), or very good physics and FFB (AC), or good physics and more realistic rules & AI at the expense of presentation (rF2).

I have some trouble placing R3E in all this, trying to put aside this pricing issue that pretty much ruins my impression of this sim, it's quite the beast that punch you in the guts and gives you a good beating. Less subtle than the others, but very effective and quite faithful to the type of races it represents, since it focuses mainly on DTM. Well, it wasn't asked by the OP anyway ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015