Steam dedicated server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Maxcat, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

My racing community has a PC on a fast connection that we run a dedicated rf2 server on. With the release of rf2 on steam I am trying to run a dedicated steam server instead of the normal rf2 version.

I have followed this guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396 and installed the steam server. I have also installed a track, car and the rfmod needed to use that combo.

When I run the rfactor2 dedicated application it immediately states "no mod files or installed mods found. Unable to continue. Please download and install at least one mod".

The computer does not have any steam games on it (or a steam account) but it does have the non steam version of rf2 installed. I did notice that when I run the mod manager from within the reactor2-dedicated/bin32 folder it was pointing at the non steam rf2 packages folder. I am not sure how it found that, or linked in to it. I changed the working directory and the packages directory to the newly installed rfactor2-dedicated file path ensured the cars tracks and rfmod was installed, but I get the same error message that there are no mods found.

Help! What am I doing wrong?

2. Carr

Carr Registered

I believe you might have overlooked this part:

"For hosting you need at least some kind of "Race Event" (which describes what cars and tracks you're hosting) and the corresponding cars and tracks. If you don't have a race event, you can also create your own. This is explained in great detail in a different guide."

This is referring to creating a .vmod/.rfmod (a package that defines what vehicles and tracks are used on the server). I had a quick look and couldn't find a current tutorial on how to do it but you can go off the old one done by ISI and it shouldn't be too hard for you to work it out, it is just a couple of buttons have changed/merged. It can be found here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...p-a-dedicated-server-or-quick-host-tools-Info

Hope it helps

3. Maxcat

Maxcat Registered

I do have a car, track, and the .rfmod to link them installed. I copied them from my non steam server. I then opened the mod mbanager application and installed the three parts...

4. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

You'll need to make a RaceEvent to be able to host,

Here's a step-by-step Steam guide on how to create a RaceEvent:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554544322

5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Can anybody confirm if online steam users can see servers that have been setup in the regular way used so far?

One of the members of our staff got a second copy: one year online with steam. He says that he can see some servers but not the one we have with B1028. We don't know if those visible servers have been setup using STEAM or not?

Can anybody share his experiences hosting for steam+non steam users?

I just followed the link from first post but the procedure appears to be the same as with non steam. It seems that you need to install rF2 with steam in your dedicated server. I read about a dedicated app for hosting but I can't find a related thread. Info is spread throughout the forum.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes I can. Have said it multiple times in many threads.... yes my steam version can see a non-steam server in matchmaker, nothing has changed.

7. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Do this,

1. Create a shortcut of your DS exectuable.

2. Right click on shortcut, and go to "Properties".

3. In the "Target" box, add

+path=".."

Make sure, of course, that there's a space between the end of the target path and the add path addition.

Hit "apply". If that space isn't in there it will give you a bad-path error.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2015
  8. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

do this.......

goto wherever you installed the dedicated server.

C:\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin32

open modmanager

change working directory to C:\rfactor2-dedicated

also change packages to C:\rfactor2-dedicated\Packages (it will refresh and probably show your mods not installed, install them now)

close modmanager and goto...

C:\rfactor2-dedicated\Bin64 (or Bin32) and create a shortcut to the dedi.exe

right click shortcut and open properties

in start in box should be C:\rfactor2-dedicated (delete the Bin32 or Bin64)

run your shortcut to the dedi.exe.

this is how i've managed to set up our dedi and a server from my own pc. hope it helps :)

9. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

10. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

Few things,

1. No sound, or at least no explanation of what you're actually doing

2. Small window

3. The initial poster was speaking of the program telling him there were no mods installed so he couldn't continue, which you didn't address

4. No mention of linking files or how to do it with the Steam version.

5. Not sure what the bandwidth test has to do with anything, except to show you have a high download speed, when it's the upload speed that matters.

I'm still interested to know how to use GetModMgr to link to files coming from the workshop.