rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Justy

Justy Registered

Ah, fair enough, I've never taken part in any of those big endurance events, so never needed to use the rejoin feature... at least not yet anyway.

Thanks for the reply, I can see why this might concern people more now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I am still not exactly clear on this, Woodee is giving me mixed signals. Maybe you can see both match makers in Steam version but non-Steam servers will only be in one of them, that would make sense. How does it work?

3. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah... I kind of get cold feet now...

Can anyone from ISI maybe explain why the license HAS to be de-activated or actualy expire for "conventional", stand-alone use?

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Sorry... I will try and explain again.

I booted up non-steam Dedi server and it is listed in the rFactor 2 server list. I can join this server in the normal way using my Steam version of rF2.

I have not been able to list the server on the Steam server list yet though.

5. Hectari

Hectari Registered

You are trading your non-Steam rF2 for a Steam rF2. The Steam key can be used on any Steam account(it is no longer bound to you or your email) and if non-steam wasn't deactivated you would have 2 copies of the sim.

If you meant the remainder of the online sub being wiped then just ignore me!

6. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

And I appearently traded in the ability to do league racing under own control :)

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes, but I think you can get refund according to Tim and carry on with your old non-Steam RF2.

8. Iwan

Iwan Registered

Hello,
    I would like to to ask if it is possible for me to port my rFactor 2 Simulation with the multiplayer subscription to steam? I just renewed yesterday because I didnt know about rFactor 2 coming to Steam. Thank you

Iwan

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

According to Marcel over at RD you can copy an installation of RF2 and Steam will only update the version it knows you installed, thus leaving your copied version as an "old" build. But this would of course mean everything from Build 1028 onwards though so you can't do that with an older Build right now, whether it works or not is not for me to say, maybe someone else has done this with another game and can confirm?

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Yes, but it makes no difference, you can keep rF2 the way it is now without Steam.

11. KORraN

KORraN Registered

OK, I'm fine with downloading all ISI content during first launch. But why it is impossible to remove it? "Uninstall" button in launcher is not active.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

It doesn't sound like it... And I already used the game 4 hours last night... And I think the Steam refund policy says it has to be done within only 2 hours of play-time.
    So I'd have to buy another lifetime license if I was to ever drive competitively in VEC again. Great.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You didn't have to upgrade to Steam at all.... it's not forced. If you did without fully understanding and reading the FAQ... then i'm sorry, you messed up :)

14. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Registered

In the end I think this will be a bigger problem for league organizers then for the drivers itself.
    Especially small leagues which are struggling for bigger grids, will propably have to start using up to date builds immediatly and have to pray that there will be no hickups with the updates ever or they will potentially lose valuable participants.
    A scenario I have also not seen mentioned once is Steam Workshow-content beeing potentially beeing updated right on raceday or right before it. Could also lead to potential fun times :)

You could argue that this is a non issue since you can just simply stay on the stand-alone version, but you all know how this works :) In a couple of weeks there will be so many users on Steam that league organizers have to adapt anyway.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Technically you wouldn't need the lifetime, the renewal version would work. And if you stop driving in VEC you can stop renewing, and renew again when you need it...

16. jimortality

jimortality Registered

Although Steam updates automatically, I'm sure there is an option so it doesn't auto update hence leaving you with the old builds. I'm sure someone will correct me If I'm wrong.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

You can set Steam not to auto-update in background but it will update anyways when you launch the game, that's how it works. Leagues have to adapt to use latest build, as in any other Steam game, simple as that. At the end of the day it's better to have the whole community on the same build than millions of fragmented build users who can't join other servers.

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

You're right... I didn't see this specific point being mentioned anywhere in the FAQ :)

I doubt it would be like that... VEC requires a lot stuff to just WORK, and in some builds it didn't and the races would not be held without these things working - rightly so.

I can't simply stay on stand-alone... I already have it on Steam.

I don't race in VEC, I did last season. But if I was to come back to VEC or any league heavily relying on certain features that has been broken in many builds and therefore forces the league to stay with older builds... Then I have to buy rF2.

I didn't make out through the FAQ that this would be a problem. I am daft? Maybe... But I did not see such disclaimer or thought that thought before I had traded in the license.

19. trollray

trollray Registered

Hey Isi guys,

I've just paid for lifetime membership on steam NOW ;) (Already had it on offline without steam since early builds )
    Congrats and whish you the best with this fantastic sim ;)

See you soon all of you on steam now lol :p

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I have several games doing that. They simply claim the older builds as "beta", maybe it is automaticly done by steam so. Applys also to games that are above 1.0 .
    Would be cool if you inform you about that at steam. Would be easyier for those who need it.
    However, you are right when you say one can also simply stuck on non-steam.....