rFactor 2 Now on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Steam force you to stay updated, by design. If you need for whatever reason to run old versions and/or rollback I'd suggest to use a non-steam version.

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Let me try to explain this...

If you have the non-Steam dedicated server and host a race, that dedicated server will currently show up in the ISI matchmaker only. Both the Steam and non-Steam users will be able to join it.

If you have the Steam dedicated server (which, incidentally, is a free download even if you don't have Steam) and host a race, that dedicated server will show up both in the ISI matchmaker and in the Steam matchmaker. Again, both the Steam and non-Steam users will be able to join it.

In terms of dedicated server hosting my personal recommendation would be to use the Steam dedicated server from now on. There is an extensive guide on how to set that up available here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=553088396

...does this answer your question?

3. Duvel

Duvel Registered

i am hoping they address this too. For me, i want to use steam wallet, which is also unavailable.

some info on other steam apps which show it could potentially be resolved by ISI (oneday).

http://steamcommunity.com/app/243580/discussions/0/558754259645594141/

and: https://steamcommunity.com/app/39210/discussions/0/540734168166033455/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  4. Tuttle

As soon as you are connected to the web, Steam will update your game.

AFAIK, the only way to bypass an update it's to play offline (aka, no internet connection).

EDIT: thanks for deleting your post so mine now looks random... :)

5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I am wondering how Steam users can join non-Steam servers if that server will not be listed in the Steam matchmaker? Many thanks.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I joined our non-steam server with my steam version with no problem, works like before, no change.

Haven't found out how to host on the Steam list yet though.

7. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Thanks Woodee. I must assume the non-Steam server DOES show up in the Steam matchmaker then.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Np Bwana. I think its possible both ways :)

9. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Not yet.... there are two servers in the Steam servers list and our non-steam server is not one of them. I tried hosting myself to get it to show in the Steam list but no luck. Probably a firewall thing for me.

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Only two small bugs I've found so far:

1. When select your car in singleplayer, your opponents are not automatically selected from the same car set as before. You have to manually chose your opponents now.

2. On at least one track, they weather is not set to "scripted" as default. I noticed this on non-Steam build and the Steam build.

Other than that, Steam is brilliant! Thanks guys!

11. Makatak

Makatak Registered

Few other games(i'm not sure if i can give u example here), have option to go back to old version(in Beta versions they have old ones), why you cant do that?

12. Tuttle

We are not in beta version. This is how Steam works.

13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Can't figure out whether I regret going Steam or not... I don't league race at the moment, so right now it's not a problem...

14. Makatak

Makatak Registered

U misunderstood me. In game properties there is overlap "Betas", and there in other games you can chose version you want to run(other games do it, to make ppl running and creating modifications easier, so they have time to update mod for new one)

15. Justy

Justy Registered

How many times have people had to roll back to an older build in the past? I can only recall having to do this once for a league race. I can't imagine this has been a regular occurrence for many people.

I'm not trying to suggest it isn't necessary for leagues to move to an older build from time to time, but perhaps it will be easier for ISI to hotfix, or roll back troublesome changes with the steam infrastructure now.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

16. Tuttle

If you are referring to beta patches, again, we are not in beta phase.

17. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I've raced in VEC and there, it was rather the rule than the exception... I think we did one or two races with a present build... Half the season we stayed on 798!

ISI kept messing up the rejoin-function, I think.

18. Makatak

Makatak Registered

The game i'm talking about isn't in beta ether, and still there are old versions to chose from(few older). This feature of Steam, just allow to run older versions if you put it there(or new, beta versions for which usually special pass is needed).

19. Tuttle

I'm not aware of this sorry. I don't have a single product on my game library doing that...

Again, if you want the steam version doing the same as the nonSteam, just keep the nonSteam.

I really don't understand why you want ISI to move on Steam and then doing the same as the NonSteam. :)

20. Makatak

Makatak Registered

I want to switch to Steam, because of new available features combined with it, but I can't do that if I want to drive in my league every race(they don't install updates immediately). Somewhere on your site you even mention that(if i recall correctly), everyone should check what league update policy is, so why now don't give us choice on steam? This "Betas" is good option which is used by others.