Possible WIP: street/drag racer.

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Navigator, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Zapping along the tv set tonight, I watched "Streetoutlaws" and it gave me an idea :)

Making this would require another engine; that's fun.
    Other stuff; doable.
    Bigger wheels and maybe even a wheelie bar; I need help with.

There could be a nitro car, turbo car.....all is possible.

Would this be something you'd like to see or is there no demand for it? Thats the main question.
    I could start with asking permission to ISI to alter the Camaro for it, but all ideas are welcome.

Also; if you have acces or a link to technical data of such car; please let me know.

View attachment 18507

2. Skan

Skan Registered

Hell yeah I'm interested.

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Interesting idea Navigator. :cool:

Personally, for me drag racing is probably something I wouldn't use that much. I remember giving Assetto Corsa's drag racing a brief trial, but quickly decided it wasn't really for me. So I would hate to see someone put a lot of effort put into something, which doesn't get used much. But maybe there are some avid drag racing fans out there, who would happily sell a limb or two, to have something like this in-game. Is there anything that rF2 would be able to bring to the table, that hasn't been done before, for this form of motorsport?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your idea.

Cheers
    Justin

4. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I wouldn't use it much but others might.

IDEA = For the world premier of this mod ISI shuts down matchmaker for everything but an official ISI server with this mod and we get entire community to throw down...

Also sounds will be critical

5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Wow. Would really love that. I haven't got much freetime and don't know anything about 3d modeling in rf2, but I guess it's not different from normal modeling!? Could 3d models also be done with siemens nx?
    If wanted I could share lots of photos of dragsters. I took them during nitrolympx in hockenheim. I would really love such cars...a cobra with drag slicks and supercharger [emoji14]

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk

6. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

there is a looooooong way to go before drag racing will be able to run in RF2, there is absolutely NO provision for.....
    a starting tree,
    handicapped staging or any sort of staging for that matter,
    no ability to use parachutes to slow the cars,
    there will be a need for a new tyre model most likely to accommodate the skinny front tyre as opposed to the wide rear slicks.
    a need to capture 'red light' starts and the ability to have timers down to the 4th decimal point.
    effective wheelie bars,
    and clutch adjustments

just to name a few things........

we at DragFactor have been toying with this form of racing in rFactor since rfactor first came out (2006 i believe) and still no further progress. good luck with your endeavors, i hope you get further than we did.

Angus94

ps.
    i was approached by Timothy Wheatley (ISI) i think it was, to provide any relevant data regarding drag racing, things like timing systems, how staging works, all that sort of thing, not sure what happened to it but the last we were told was that other forms of motor sport had a higher priority, so we just wait i guess. AC do have a drag track but the tree is totally useless as it is. there is supposed to be a 400th of a second between the amber lights but AC has about 1 second. Kunos did say that once the release got to version 1.0 they would look at implementing some drag racing, but it hasnt happened yet, i have converted some cars to AC but im no physics expert so all my work has stopped for both AC and RF2

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Parachute problem and 4th decimal point can both be solved by putting a ramp at the end and any third decimal point ties can be broken by distance jumped :p

8. Angus94

Angus94 Registered

very funny, veeeeeery funny. taking the piss out of someone's efforts looks like its your strong point for sure

9. Skan

Skan Registered

Navigator.. We don't need a "tree" if You want it to be like Street Outlaws. You just need an animated guy stepping back and turning on the flashlight. IF pulling up to the line.. spooling up a turbo.. seeing the light... unlocking the transbrake works in testing then go for it. We would also need a few spectators at the end of the track to call the close races. That skid pan / skid pad (seen it spelled both ways) is perfect for this or at least "test hits". They do not record times on that show, its only about the win, that would be an easy thing to do. For those that have no idea what I'm typing about, look up "Street Outlaws" the tv show.

@ Angus I never got to use dragfactor but from the screen shots and info, You guys did a good job on the sanctioned side of racing. Well done.

10. Toads

Toads Registered

Yeah, give credit where credit is due... Angus & Co did give it a red hot go with it. I was one of those quietly observing the progress over time, and from what I witnessed it was quite impressive. :D

11. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Oh I loved dragfactor. A really great mod. Would be nice to have something similar.

12. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys, thanks for your time all.

I see this is not a trending topic and thus not the most needed mod ;) Still I think its a fun project though and if just a few people use it; thats okay too; I had my exercise, right?

But to be honest and clear; I thought of this as a fun project and not a professional (complete) mod like Angus94 is working on; I'm just not good enough.
    No; first some bigger tires, adjusting the gear and engine (last one I really like) and see what it brings us.

A track (Searspoint has a dragstrip even) could be adjusted so that when the race begins, two cars line up automatically and the finish could be speedtrap 1; this way you can see who is fastest.

So I'm starting work anyway and we will see what happens. I try to ask ISI for permission to use the Camaro; I think that's the best way to go. Or maybe some other suggestions?

Oh, and all kinds of info on engines is very much appreciated!! (and needed ;) )

13. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Great to hear navi. I could imagine the cobra would a great drag car. Tommys hockenheim Ring for rf2 has also the drag strip included. It's in the last corner before the start and finish straight. If needed I could mail you some photos of the drag event in hockenheim. Grandstands etc.
    You can find photos using google. Just search for nitrolympx. Thank you navigator[emoji6]

14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

Nice to see some interest in this again. Nitrometh is the most appropriate name for someone interested in the project. One of the hurdles is "Elapsed Time" decides the winner of a drag race not "Speed".

This is the reason that a proper set of starting lights is needed. Just using a speed trap as described is not the way to find the winner. "Elapsed time" how long it takes for each car to go from start to finish is the key not what terminal speed each achieved.

15. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Lol; you are right!
    We don't even have a speedtrap in rF2 and I clearly wasn't "in it" when writing this. I meant off course the first sector time; set that one at the right distance and you go from the starlight to that one; you get your time in y,xxx

I thought it was a nice workaround?

16. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Yep I know. I guess there isn't also the ability to measure the RT. Maybe we don't have the chance to have proper drag strips, but some good looking pro street cars. That would a great beginning imo.

17. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Well guys, please don't take it I'm not serious; I say it should be fun to make, but I'm going to make it proper off course.
    Seeing the next video's; you might think otherwise ;)

No; I just went and see what could be, and what needed to be changed. I took the Skippy (SO wrong......) as it was dressed down in my devmode already.
    I just multiplied the power and torque, tire (height, width didn't work) and had to adjust a lot to the clutch (and so on) to take off......you won't believe how much.
    So; this was just for fun, practice and learning; EVERYTHING is wrong on this :) (gears to short, tires to big, nothing properly calculated and so on)
    But; it gives you an idea........

As I said; I multiplied the engine, but rest asure; there are going to be some different engines and all of them are going to be a piece of art; no MP'ing, but a proper engine.

Funny thing is; out of the 10 starts, I get about 1 or 2 right. So thats a difficulty that came in nicely; you have to do it proper or you loose no matter what; sounds about right doesn't it?

I promise you its going to be proper, but for the fun of it, look at the video ;)

[video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13313246/IMG_4323.MOV[/video]
    [video]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13313246/IMG_4324.MOV[/video]

19. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Topeka has a drag strip too

20. Skan

Skan Registered

For testing purposes I would create a server and have the ability to enter with any of the cars from the official rF2 download page. If 2 people want to race, They just need to have a 3rd car flash the headlights (instead of an animated person turning the flashlight on. Someone would have to make that, test it, etc.) They also need someone at the 1/8th mile finish (street outlaws rules, not mine) to see who won and if it is contested, someone has a replay. if there is interest in at least this... that can gauge things for You and the rest of the people interested. I will gladly give it a try.