Renault Clio 197 v1.63 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I'm the only one who notices or cares about this? No wonder ISI doesn't bother updating things for months or years at a time!

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ive tried to realize your problem, (done three Clio-races since yesterday) but I had no luck....
    Only thing that is somewhat strange, is that overrev-redlights are only coming up when limiter is already in (but maybe this is on purpose, so it is practical a limiter-indicator).

3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

If i`m not wrong, auto blip is activated by default. Could this be the reason for this phenomenon?

//Edit: just rechecked my player.json, because i installed the new build yesterday with complete new player.json. Auto blip is activated...

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Ah, good find Jürgen! Thats propably it! Tried to understand the problem since he posted it,- dont wonder now that I didnt found anything.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

How long as he had auto blip/lift activated, "months or years at a time" ?

lol Marc ;)

At least he be happy to find problem . :)

I like to drive Clio as experiment only and is fun and must be the best looking ISI model for mine.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Well...but i can`t try to reproduce this issue, because i`m not at my rig at the moment. It was just a shot into the blue...

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Is the software blipping the throttle, because you've got it set to do so?

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yes.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No.

"Auto Blip":false,

It's very simple. Drive the car in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear to about 3/4 or 4/5 of the rpm you would normally shift up at if racing, lift off the throttle completely, and execute your shift. Whether I am using sequential shift buttons/paddles OR H-pattern shifter, the same behaviour ensues:

When I pull the paddle to shift up OR as I pull out of the gear into neutral on my way to the next gear, the tach flashes up to max rpm (past redline) and the shift lights on HUD and steering wheel flare up to max. This is coasting with no throttle application. It does the same thing if you are driving/racing normally and trying to accelerate as quickly as possible. It also often does it on downshifts.

I just checked and the Auto Blip setting true or false has no effect on this visual glitch.

I say visual glitch because I do not hear the engine blip rev. It appears to be simply a false output to the tach.

Wow, I am the only one who has this issue... And the Clio is the only car that does this. Wonder what could cause it? What other cars use the same transmission type or programming as the Clio? It reacts as though it has a sequential transmission no different than many other cars, but???

10. Paule

Paule Registered

Shouldn´t the name of the car be Clio 200? Isn´t Clio 197 the phase 1 (pre facelift)?

11. Emery

Emery Registered

After 30 laps or so, I can only get down to a 1:58.0 and my sector splits suggest there's another 0.5 seconds. When I compare laps, it's not HP nor overall grip that the AI have an advantage with, it's braking consistency and the ability to nip through the chicane. At the GT chicane, I lose whatever lead I had, but then get it back through the right before the final turn. I'm probably losing a second in that chicane :(

P.S. Yes, I like the AI improvements. I'm now a front of mid-pack racer at 100% difficulty, which is where I'd expect to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

ClioAI-wise Im a mid-top-pack-racer and never noticed a problem with Clio-AI. I would call them pretty good balanced.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

After another session, I can mostly stay in the 1:56s now. Personal best was 1:56.0. Concentrating on getting through the GT chicane better helped tons and a slight adjustment to brake pressure brought me to par with the fastest AI, though as a driver I've still got too much variance.

14. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Auto blip can't be turned off with the clio.
    In the Clio's HDV file... Autoblip= 0.98 ==> it was 0.0 in previous version. But there was //0.98 in the line description.

The car will blip the throttle with 98% throttle on downshift. IMO: it's a bit more to much, and i'm not sure the real car has autoblip on downshift.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Thank you for isolating the problem! ISI, please patch.

And thanks guys for the AI feedback.

16. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Autoblip would have nothing to do with the issues described during upshifts. It sounds like the throttle is closing too slowly upon lifting which might manifest itself for the lift portion of blipping on downshifts too. Maybe an attempt to reduce drop-throttle oversteer using engine brake mapping?

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I think Gijs already found the source of the problem. It describes exactly what's happening.

18. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

Well it does appear to have nothing to do with actual over-revving after all but, IMO, Gijs is wrong about it not being able to be turned off.
    The HDV line is:
    "DownshiftBlipThrottle=0.98 // amount of throttle used to blip if controlled by game (instead of player)"
    "if controlled by game" means if you have set it to autoblip in your player.json. If by control "of player" = you have it OFF in your json and your foot controls it.
    I'm now wondering if the anomaly it has to do with what may be a neutral gear rev limiter. Not hugely common, but some cars have it, although I think it odd to have it in a race tune.
    Clio's Engine.ini, line:
    RevLimitRange=(7500, 100, 1) I'm would say the first number is the normal rev limit of 7500RPM
    RevLimitSpecial=(0,,,"gn=-2500") I'm guessing this may be a neutral gear rev limiter gn= (gear neutral?) -2500 subtracted from 7500 = 5000RPM, about the limit if the throttle is floored while in neutral.
    Test: Sit in the garage with clutch out, gearbox in neutral and rev the engine to max throttle. At best you'll get 5000rpm out of it and the upshift lights come on.
    I wonder if the lights are simply triggered whenever the revs are above 5000rpm between gears (i.e., in neutral) as you upshift or downshift.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Autoblip on or off made no difference on my rig, but you have also hit on a likely cause. As I said initially, I have no indication that the engine is actually over-revving, just lights coming on that shouldn't. Your explanation makes total sense, although I have no idea whether this is realistic for the car. I doubt it, since it serves no purpose but to confuse with false signals. The real car might have a neutral rev limiter, but probably has programming for the shift lights accordingly. rF2's shift lights are algorithmic, so probably get fooled by this odd set-up.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I tried the car a couple days ago. There definitely is an issue. It's like the auto-blipping "software" of the car has been programmed to always rev the car to redline rather than actually doing what a downshift blip is supposed to do: blip to the perfect amount to match the revs.

Definite problem.