rFactor 2 on Steam Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Oct 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Bonar

Andy Bonar Registered

Cool, thanks :)

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If you migrate to Steam, before you download the game you should unsubscribe from ISI in the workshop so it doesn't download everything.

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

With some games on Steam it is possible to pick and choose what build you want. The possibility to downgrade to a certain build if the up to date one doesn't work. Is this something we will be able to do? Just in case we encounter some showstoppers making rF2 unusable.

4. PaulG

PaulG Registered

You guys really went all in with the Steamworks/workshop support. I'm pleasantly shocked by this. Thank-you!

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Question for Tim and/or those that already Mod on Steam:

I like to make my own offline Mod variants for various reasons, is working with Steam in this regard a fairly simple and easy to learn procedure? I have absolutely no clue of course!
    i.e. I like to amalgamate mods together when altering Skins/Talent/Veh etc so would want the continued freedom in Steam if possible, thanks

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

How will be the prices for different countries? Will it have a % similar to rF1? Any estimate on that?

7. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

What is with DevMode? Will it be available on Steam?

8. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It does limit a lot, especially for recruiting new people. If they are on steam and our league has decided not to move, then we have the problem.

Enviado desde mi SM-G130HN mediante Tapatalk

9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Isn't what you're asking for very rare? What games do this? Talking about the Steam angle. I've always assumed Steam required everything to be the latest version before it would launch. Obviously some titles have had multiple branches using betas (that lasted a long time), but I didn't realize there were any games that allowed you to otherwise choose which version you could download. I don't imagine many developers would be requesting it from Valve either, since it means having to support older builds that have already had issues addressed with new builds.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

AFAIK Steam sets those based on the USD price and alters it for different locations how they see fit.

11. 88mphTim

Yes, there would be no other way to replicate the rF1 in-engine modding experience with rF2 with loose files, etc, prior to packaging for the actual rF2 client.

12. 88mphTim

I have set certain games not to update before, I assume you can do that, just haven't tried.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Interesting, I thought this was decided by the developer. Hope they keep the same % as rF1 and GTA V
    Thanks for answering

14. Gupster

Gupster Registered

I have a bunch of guys that bought rF2 yearly version at the first releases. They have not renewed their online subscriptions.

Will they still be able to install and use the steam version offline with their original registration without renewing the online sub?

15. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It might work if you're set to offline mode (which I'm not familiar with and don't know the loopholes), but the standard online method is you can disable auto-updates, but if you actually hit launch for one of those games, you're required to download the latest version before it'll launch. So it's more to avoid being annoyed by launching Steam and having stuff (you're not playing) suddenly update their latest patch.

Having just thought about what I wrote, some games have zero copy protection on Steam. So I suppose if you turn off auto-updates (on those) and then launch the game directly from your hard drive, that would work. But it's not exactly a standard method and requires launching outside of the Steam client. Or maybe those games can be launched in the client. I don't really disable many games. Just the ones I have always have required the download patch before they'll launch again.

16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

steam voice chat is very good & no hassle -simply push/hold button to talk

a big advantage of using rf2 on steam IMO , perhaps needs a mention

( obviously for online mode )

17. 88mphTim

We'll have to try it all out. I've had games I played online before where I'd leave steam in offline mode, launch the game, and play online with it.

18. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Steam has the possibility to subscribe to different game versions. This is usually used for beta access but also can be used for other purposes. You could add an entry for each build:
    - latest
    - B1008
    - B998
    Or organize it by stability:
    - testing
    - stable
    - old-stable

This is not as convenient as multiple installs but definitely a solution for leagues.
    The way with a testing branch would also have the benefit to get feedback from cutting edge users before features are merged into stable.

19. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yes this might work for me, but imagine 50% of your drivers move to the steam version and we decide not to drive with a current build. Than these people won't be very happy.

20. Jadran73

Jadran73 Registered

I have a different e-mail on Steam from the one through which I ordered rFactor2, will it be a problem?
    THX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.