How realistic is Dirt Rallye in terms of physics and such?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

It's not extremely hardcore, but I find it very enjoyable, and as far as I know its still going for the early beta price. Was a little hard to pass up on, and I am glad I didn't.

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

A lot of time it's about the potential. That's what many people see in Dirt Rally, AC, rF2, pCars etc... if it isn't in the game yet, it could be in the future.
    In simracing even sceptics are hopeful bunch, comes from having such a niche genre as a hobby.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Dirt Rally is the Grid / Codies F1 / Dirt / Toca / etc. equivalent of a rally game.

Fun as a game but irrelevant for pure driving thanks to sims like Richard Burns Rally, Assetto Corsa (mods), rFactor/SCE (mods), and, hopefully soon, RF2.

What ever happened to that new Rally sim that was/is in development? It seemed like it was a proper rally sim and finally something to take Richard Burns Rally's place. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  4. Minibull

Minibull Member

GRally? It's in closed (or open) beta now apparently.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

............complete with a solid rear axle. :eek:

" that's why it jumps and lands so arcadey Jim " :)

I like RBR a lot, the gravel sliding immersion was its highlight though.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's it, thanks!

7. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I find it enjoyable when doing a dirt rally stage but absolutely hate the tarmac portions due to the insane grip. They've always had poor tarmac physics so I'll believe it's fixed when I see it.

8. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

As far as i am informed about gRally, it should be a richard burns rally with more advanced physics and an updated graphics engine. Can anybody confirm this?

I am really waiting for this game because the only thing i hate about rally games are the tarmac stages. :) I don't know but for me it has to be dirt, gravel, sand or snow!

The thing i hate about dirt rally is that the car slows down so fast if you lift of the throttle. I like all the vintage content they got in the game.

9. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Richard burns is a great game, but right now I prefer Dirt rally, The cars seems more planted to the road, the game is from 2004 and even with the latest mods the engine is showing his age. I don't think Dirt rally is aiming to reach stock car or rfactor 2 hardcore sim status but it's really great, the greece and wales stages are really well made, and the group a cars have a great force feedback. I don't get the negativity about this game around here, I think after a lot of bad decisions codemasters is in the right track. Now I would love to have more tarmac stages in rfactor 2 and WRC cars, that would be the ultimate rally game but it's never going to happen.

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It looks like rFactor did in 2008, I don't know if it's the p/gmotor2.0 or just Unity. It is supposed to be better and it should be on tarmac but who knows how they're doing with loose surface.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I never heard they're using ISI's pMotor or anything regarding any part of the ISImotor.

Who cares if it doesn't look like AC or PCars if the physics are being treated as a hardcore sim and are even just somewhat better than RBR.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

If you have seen the videos and looked at the source then you'd be wiser to be skeptical

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Now that sounds like fun ! as I said only thing ruined RBR a little was that solid rear axle, hit the ground apply throttle and off you went. Having said that no rally cars comes close to it on loose gravel yet.

Codemasters offering early release sends wrong signal to me they are supposed to be "big"

Does all their restructure and musical chairs with departments a while back mean pre-sales or ratings will now dictate development resources, I do not want to support something like that.

--------

ISI made physics 4 years ago ran circles around the competition, promised nothing, never resorted to flowery self-appraisal and did it with less revenue.

I would trust Codemasters to deliver the same about as far as I could throw them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
  14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

This is how I see it. We got rF2 for the hardcore experience stuff and things like Dirt just to have some fun on the side. There really is no need for bashing each other up because everybody has their opinion and preferences, right?
    Seeing that Dirt is now selling for full price (45 Euros on Steam) even though it is still in Early Access Mode, I think I'll have to wait and see a little bit longer. Not that big of a Rallye fan anyway.

15. eltidi

eltidi Registered

Nice video from a real rally driver

[video]https://youtu.be/5xw8DJY7aZQ[/video]

16. QUF

QUF Registered

Magnificent. Doing it like a pro! Thanks for linking the video.

17. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Holy sh!t, dude. This guy means business. :cool:

18. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

DiRT Rally has rallycross. End of story.

19. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Dirt Rally is fun, its has it moments of frustration but generally it is enjoyable. I found that turning the differentials to loose, will make the car behave in a more predictable manor, after doing that I have more fun driving.

20. magicaldog

magicaldog Registered

When I first heard about Codies making a Sim I thought "Yeah Right" A sim from Codies that will never happen but I have slowly changed my mind and now I am totally addicted and love it ( The Rally part that is, since there are also Hill climb and Rally Cross in the game )

I don't understand people who say Dirt Rally is difficult because it's easy to drive slow to medium pace but harder as you go fast, you know like in real life :D

A no brainer for any sim fan !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015