How realistic is Dirt Rallye in terms of physics and such?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Just thought about getting Dirt Rallye since rF2 does not have a Rallye mode.
    Anyone out there who has already tested it?

2. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Don't expect rF2 like physics but it is the best modern rally sim we have. Obviously I can not look into the code but physic feels somewhat canned. Nevertheless I enjoy it and looking forward to the improvements which this game definitely gets with each update.

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I've had it since the beginning of their Early Access, and I've played it decent amount.
    It can be quite entertaining game, physics are ok, FFB is good, Stages are really good although shortish, graphics are good, sounds are actually awesome... but there is problems.

There is way too much grip out of the box, the issue is more prevalent on some countrys/surfaces than others. There used to be a way to edit an .xml file that would allow you to lower the grip level of tyres that any specific car would be using. This was a great way to get most out of the physics engine and the game actually became really good.
    That file is gone, but there is a physics/FFB/lighting etc... mod by TemplarGFX (Dirt Mods), Marty McFly (Reshade Master Effects) called "Realism Pack for Dirt Rally 0.5" in racedepartment that did work couple patches ago (in v0.5, DR is atm v0.7).
    Tarmac rally has always been the weak point of Dirt Rally, but a lot of that issue lies behind the weird excess grip.

Codies are on their way implementing physics V2.0, some of the cars got new tyre model in the last patch, and I'm looking forward to see what else they have conjured.

5. eltidi

eltidi Registered

The physic model seems simple so you don't have all the tones of rfactor 2, but the handling feels right, the stages are really difficult and something that many sims don't have is that the game is really polished, graphics are top notch, sounds are awesome and the performance is brilliant. I recommended to buy, don't forget to use 900ยบ and soft lock to have the proper steering lock for every rally car, I also recommend using the group A with clutch and h shifter and without resets in the stages, believe me, you will find the game really difficult.

6. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I also hope they will fix the throttle response, you have to give it around 70-80% just to start accelerating the car. Also the car slows down too much if you lift the throttle. This are for me the worst points at the moment which should be easy to fix.

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Never noticed that throttle response thing my self, but the engine brake is ridiculous on some cars, especially in the AWD group B cars.

8. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Speaking of sounds. I've seen trailers on Steam which gave the impression that all cars sound the same. I hope it was just a sound which they overlayed on the video to make it feel more aggressive.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Something about the inertia of the cars always bothered me a lot.
    Or maybe it's just the throttle response? I don't know.

Either way, they feel too "heavy" and bog down too easily IMO.

10. addyduss

addyduss Registered

If you like rally - just get it. You wont regret. And its not like - get PCars, its fun, you wont regret. No, its a real deal!) Because its unique experience among nowdays sims/racing games. This game brings tons of fun once you set up your wheel right (you'll find all info you need in internet).

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

I also get this weird underdamped feeling, where the cars don't handle bumps or larger impacts well. I might expect that on the old vehicles, but seeing the modern cars rocket over jumps and suck all the impact up, they don't do that for me.
    The car gets airborne and when it lands, it feels like it has a cm of travel, then it rebounds off the track, then down, then rebound. Hoping they keep pushing the physics development.

The rest is pretty great though. Their stages aren't afraid to go narrow, and they have a lot of detail in the surface. Like others have said, the sounds are really neat, online events are quite interesting. Rallycross is a hoot. Hope it keeps on coming good, as codemasters are so close to doing something really great in terms of sims IMO

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Imagine Race 07 quality but for Rally, but maybe more forgiving.

13. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah for sure, I'm a huge fan of DIRT Rally too.
    Came out of the blue and swept a lot feet, mine included.
    If they get a few physics oddities sorted, it's a title I'm going to spend a lot of time with in the future, that's for sure.

14. Minibull

Minibull Member

I drive the 205 grp B car the most, and if you ever lose boost, boy is it dead XD
    Then boost comes back and it takes off haha.
    I did do the weekly challenge on the German stages in the 2001 Focus, but I had no upgrades for it. Felt so underpowered and punchless. Was dropping 30 odd seconds per stage even though I was pushing as hard as I could.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Based on your comments ...................okay no one wants to buy that one now.

hehehe

First Dirt comments I heard " was oohh my ! look at the dripping water, looks awesum ! " p

Could have been NFS for all I know.

---------

Physics and how a particular Fizzix Guru perceives them is what makes a sim for mine.

They all have unique feels.

Then the beta guys test there theories and it is fine tuned.

Somehow they forgot to do this with Dirt , AC and pCars. ......well it's true ? lol :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
  16. Minibull

Minibull Member

^uh...come again?

Seriously, I don't follow XD

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

1. Who would want to buy it based on the comments here ?

2. When Dirt was released all fanboys went on about how the weather effects looked " omg the rain is awesum " things like that.
    Barely a mention of steering and physics now months later you all sit here tell me it sucks. .............. Well virtually no one here says good things so I can only assume it sucks. ?

3. It is physics and tyres, terrain makes a sim special ........... not pretty Dirt , pCars or AC graphics

4. All sims have unique feeling. ..................pretty self explanatory

5. Dirt, AC, pCars beta testing was worth squat .............. because they still all drive bad ( imho ) .

6. You do not have agree with any of that and I could not give a rat's arse if you don't.

Plain enough ? :)

18. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yes, I can understand that now. Reading point 6, I wonder if I should bother...

No, I would say it is very much worth it. Noone said it's perfect, but it's certainly not crap in driving. This is like Spinelli talking about his issues with the ISI engines. It may be something that is not right, but that doesn't suddenly discount the rest of the title, as you seem to be so keen to do.
    I'm talking about their previous Dirt titles, the WRC games, etc etc. Basically all the rally games weve had in the last 10 years. It doesn't handle like RBR, but the way the devs seem to be working, they are improving those aspects. Many people mentioned the steering and physics at the start DD, that was what so many of us were delving into straight away, how does it match up to the RBR driving "standard".
    We had fancy looking graphics and slick cars in their previous titles, why would we sit and care about that? We all knew the one thing that had been missing from all these rally games.

I find the FFB great now, I can get good info from it. It was s**t at the start IMO. Tarmac is still a bit odd feeling, especially the hillclimb cars, but for the gravel, all it seems to me is like it need a bit more "looseness" to it, coupled with suspension improvements (IMO)

Terrain certainly makes a rally sim special, and this seems to have a lot of details in the surface. Tracks felt more basic to me in RBR, almost like they didn't have the "resolution" of little bumps and cambers. What I would love to see would be some actual long stages. I mean the really long WRC ones. It would be so much effort though for one stage, probably why noone has done them before in a release. Modders maybe, but yeah. The track width is what really made me happy. Some sections in those Greece stages are brilliantly narrow, almost a car width. A real hoot with the Group B cars, trying to hustle them around and not fling off the mountain. They didnt take the easy way out for drivers, making these speedway like rally stages I see in other titles.

But hey, you don't give a rats arse, right? :rolleyes:

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Those other aspects of DiRT make it a viable option for someone these days looking for a rally game. It sounds awesome, looks mostly very good and has got good replays.

20. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

its got very simple physics.. like GRID games only on gravel mostly, but its the best out there, doesnt make it fantastic tho