Windows 10 and resolution problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Pietro G, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Pietro G

Pietro G Registered

Hi. I've searched in the forum and elsewhere if other guys had the same problem of mine with the game, but the solutions that worked for them aren't working for me.
    Problem is this: I switched to Windows 10 64 bit and since then I'm unable to run the game in my native resolution, 1600x900.
    I configure the graphic settings using the RF tool and then launch the game, but on the first start it's in 1024x768 and if I set the native resolution of my screen and click apply the game doesn't change to 1600x900, no matter what. Tried to use windowed mode, but nothing. Tried also the program Borderless Gaming (by Codeusa), but doesn't solve the problem. Tried uninstalling the demo and installing older builds, but the problem stays. I tried installing the game outside the "Programs" folder and giving all the Users admin powers in the properties of the game's folder, but nothing. Launching as admin, nothing. Disabling the UAC, nothing.
    Now, I had an identical problem in the past with RF, RF2 and GSCE, running Windows 7 64 bit. Randomly and after a clean install of the OS and a 1st install of the game, every one of them gave me the same resolution problem, but I solved using Borderless Gaming.

I'm using the EVGA GTX 750 TI SC, paired with AMD FX 6300 and 16GB of ram. Got the OS in a SSD and the games in a regular HDD.
    From what I see, the RF config tool doesn't memorize the changes or doesn't apply them to the RF2 config file inside the UserData folder. If I set the resolution in the config file and I make this a "read-only" file to avoid the game using a resolution different from 1600x900, the game doesn't start: I see the splash creen and then it crashes.

I don't want to go back to windows 7. Is there a way to fix this?
    Devs, any chance to have a better "system" with which configure the graphic settings? Why do you have this separate config tool instead of making everything through the in-game options? Sometimes (not just in this particular case) I see that the tool doesn't seem to work properly, for example not showing any Language in the selection tab.

2. westerware.bill

westerware.bill Registered

Sounds like rF2 isn't sensing the correct resolution. Try creating a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel, even if the same.
    I haven't had your problem in rF2 but did in Dirt Rally some time back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

3. Pietro G

Pietro G Registered

Thanks for the answer.
    Can't do that. My screen doesn't support higher resolutions and the nvidia utility doesn't let me create a custom resolution identical to the native one.
    Tried configuring the nvidia control panel in a way that the programs and the games can't scale resolutions and so are forced to use the native one (or the curstom one), but with RF2 doesn't work.
    Also, the GTX 750 doesn't have the DSR (dynamic super resolution), so I can't try to launch the game at 1920x1080 downsampling it for my screen.
    It's really weird. I think the problem is in the config file itself. If I use the RF tool and set the resolution this isn't written in the config file and the same happens if I change the resolution in game.
    Instead if I edit the config file and save it, it keeps the settings, but when I launch the game it brings back the default values. And if I change its properties making it a "read-only" file, the game crashes at the start.

Bah, tomorrow I'll try installing a previous version of the nvidia driver, right now I'm using the latest 358.50. But not happy with that, because everything else works ok in my machine.
    Searching with google I found lot of people describing basically the same kind of problem with both the ISI games. I think they need to sort this out once and for all getting rid of the RF config tool and allowing the player to change the graphic options only via game or config file. In my opinion that would make the game more stable as for this aspect.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015