Is a virtual 7.1 surround headset essential for racing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by B1K3R, Oct 8, 2015.

1. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Its time to buy a decent headset.....but of course the awesome ones are ALL expensive! I'm trying to keep it down below 100 EUR and it seems that there are some good ones but NOT with virtual 7.1 surround.

How essential you think virtual 7.1 surround is for racing? Thinking about this http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-headsets but its not 7.1........

Cheers

2. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Virtual surround is merely a software that 90% of the time sucks and rest 10% of the time is just ok. You usually have better surround software on your soundcards or if you own a receiver with one, even better.
    IF you have to have surround headphones, you better off getting ones with more than one driver per ear (3 usually, but they lack in bass because the drivers have to be small to fit, and they tend to be on a heavy side.)

I recommend putting $100+ to a proper stereo headphones and if you need a mic, get modmic or equalent.
    Good ones to start with could be Audio Technica M50x and AKG K550 (if you are looking for around ear kind) for example.

Edit: For sound quality you need to look at sites like http://www.whathifi.com/awards/2014/ear-headphones and http://www.head-fi.org/ ,most of the "headsets" you can forget about.
    Heres the modmic: http://www.modmic.com/

3. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I am using a sennheiser pc151 and i had a pc150 before, which lasted for about 7 or 8 years. The mic quality is just fine and its pretty cheap nowadays. I bought my first one for around 100$. Its also quite light and pretty comfortable even if you use it for hours. Virtual as the word describes it is all about software. So you don't need a product which advertises some bull**** every 5$ headphones can reproduce. Go for decent audio companies instead of bull**** "gaming" stuff. Its all about advertising.

4. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Thanks, I'll check them out :)

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not IMHO, no. When you see someone go out the left side of your mirror who was going faster than you, you assume they are on your left side, or trying to outbrake you on the left side into the upcoming turn. Awareness comes from sight, unfortunately for some. :)

6. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Good point Tim :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I have the Hyper X`s and I know others that have them too... rock solid, excellent headset for gaming of all kinds imo. Lovely clear sounds and a good quality mic. Also really nice for just listening to music which I do quite often.

:)

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I prefer sim sounds coming through my creative 5.1 surround speakers although compared to other games rf2 surround sound sucks, I don't think I've ever heard cars approaching in my rear speakers. Then I have secondary sound cards for simvibe to run transducers, and a 1 ear clip on headset/mic for team speak, I could never get along with chat coming through over engine/tyre sounds etc.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If the game/movie even offers true surround (I thought RF2 didn't?) then look for the best 2.0 (NOT 5.1/7.1) headphones you can buy like Audio Technica, AKG, Sennheiser, (there's lots of awesome stuff beyond these brands but I'm having a "brain-fart") and use some sort of surround emulation like Creative's CMSS-3D, Dolby Surround (ASUS Soundcards), the one on the new Creative cards (which I heard is not as good as CMSS-3D from their old cards), etc. I believe there's a free one from Razer.

Set Windows to 5.1/7.1, set the game/movie to 5.1/7.1, set the 3D surround audio program to headphones, enable the 3D surround feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
  10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

11. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

No but you'll really appreciate a good set of cans when you get them, for gaming and music. I stay away from gaming headsets but that's just me.

12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"Virtual 7.1", I can't even begin to express how much I hate that label... :p

13. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

For over 2 years now I've owned G430 virtual 7.1 surround system aaaaaaaaaaaand: no. In racing games they are pretty much redundant. Why? Not many if any that I know of have full surround sounds supported. The only place where I ACTUALLY felt the difference was Arma 3. First time I put them on and mortars were all over my squad, helis were above my head around 30 m away, shots fired all around... That was the frist time I screamed for mommy. :p

However like always VIRTUAL 7.1 means that it is as good as the software that is using headset's abilities. So after some life experiences I can tell that GOOD headset for audiophiles + external audio card that creates good quality surround effects and should be better off I presume.

Also for all G430 users out there, did your potentiometer got wonky after like 2-3 months of using?

14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

15. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Been using Logitech's G930's for a good while now.
    Very comfortable and no issues,plus they're wireless.
    Plus they have 3 'G' buttons which are usefull.

The new G933's look nice :)

16. vali

vali Registered

I read somewhere the HyperX are made by a company called Takstar. Kingston added the mic to their PRO80 model.

It seems they make good headphones and are cheap too. It is a shame they don't make any headsets. I would buy a pair.

Not that long ago I was searching for a good quality (with actual good sound quality) closed headset with jack connectors and found nothing worth my money :(

17. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I'm using the free software that Spinelli mentioned. Download from http://www.razerzone.com/surround (choose the free version of course). Works with any stereo headphones. Not very important for racing games, but in first person shooters it is very helpful, and quite precise. You can clearly hear where sounds are from and turn to face the horrors coming your way.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I use also the G930 for around 2 years now (but not for racing).
    In rF2 the problem wirh 5.1 is that the rear channel volume is too low. If I increase the rear speakers on the soundcard it works nice but is not usable for any other title.

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

I thought besides the echo from walls there is no positional audio in rF2, just plain stereo?

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You mean reverberation not echo ;)

With wind immersion enabled you get sound off posts , telegraph poles, anything close to track at Belgium, try turning motor volumes down.

Cow's around Belgium I could easy point within reason exactly where the Mooo p comes from.

I have Soundworks amp and DolbyLive software that encodes anything from optical into fake 5.1, sounds awesome still.

Run Realtek optical through same amp sounds miserable , so do headphones running from same, no feel, depth or sense of direction.