How to EXACTLY get a server running,,what needs to be Uploaded??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MichaelBd39, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

This is Ridiculous,I have searched and searched,flipping thru umpteen pages,CAN'T FIND Anything that tells me what EXACTLY needs to be loaded up to a server to run a mod,,or Anything..
    Why isn't there a sticky for "SERVER CONTENT NEEDED"????Can not even find ANY support literature,you would think they had in your game Somewhere,,A/C has the Easiest Server Packager "ever"and they Just started this venture,I know a server doesn't need .dds files,,but WHAT does it need??,,spent 12 hours trying to search,find,add,watch youtube vids,package,unpackage,upload,delete files to server!!
    Absolutely ridiculous!!
    Took me all of a half hour to figure out how to get an A/C server going,but this OMFG!!20 hours later and GRRRRRRRRRRRRR,,

Anyone got a Simple explanation!!

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

3. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

C'mon dude,, what content needed to "UPLOAD" not how to fix my connection and comp to self-host

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Why do you need to upload for a dedicated server?

You need the car, track and a vMod which references both.... DUDE.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  5. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

Not a dedicated server,,"payed for server",,IDK what we are supposed to even call it,,you know "Upload" to server,,using a FTP client,that is Hosted by a Company

BTW,,It was Very easy to "self host" it started straight away and I could enter no prob.,,I need to know what Exactly a server needs,,maybe Read post more carefully instead of "scanning"

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I just told you what you need. Read MY post before scanning eh?

Also....it may depend on how you access the paid for server to run the dedi.exe

7. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Do you like to rent dedicated server and are wondering what program to use to admin you server?

8. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

if its just ftp you have then just take a copy of your own rf2 instal and send it through ftp to the host machine, once there upload tracks and stuff to the packages folder, youll need some way to access the launcher to instal the mods and tracks and start the server.

9. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

OK David,,that helped a little,I also found a clue,I didn't have anything in server packages folder,uploading that now,,although server doesn't allow any "install" or exe's added,so it takes twice as long,,have to upload .mas files and create correct folder structure for Tracks,does the server actually need all .mas files for track?Or just the .ini data .mas file?Server has a control panel,,although if I use FTP,I can't use CP,it will overwrite my particular json settings...

I also keep seeing references to my "documents/rfactor2" folder,,I don't have a rf2 folder in Documents,,should there be one??

One more question,,is there only "one" player folder now?Does this mean I have to have a separate player folder backup,to use different settings for different mods?

10. EaglemanGT

EaglemanGT Registered

Hey Michael, You know where to get ahold of me if you need more help. I have a dedicated also running at top notch. Sim Off Road Racing teamspeak.....

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

....and I thought I was the only one. hehe ;)

Sorry can't help with the SPECIFIC answer on that question ie: if you need documents folder for dedicated server.

All Tim tells me it is better to have in documents so you don't have to copy/replace them when/if you delete rF2 which on the surface makes sense I guess but in practical terms it offers no advantages.

Historically a primary partition has more chance of infection and failure.
    Follows any important data on a secondary partition has less chance of the same.

So in my situation I outlined (60GB SSD C:\ and a secondary 1TB with rFactor2 on E:\ ) .......why would I want to have any data on C as well.
    Why not nice and neat in one folder.

Even if I put rfactor2 on C:\ ......... I still don't get it. lol ;)

Okay, fine, you say you too lazy or otherwise to copy/paste or backup UserData contents regularly and/or blindly go updating and reinstalling builds before thinking.

What ? ........somehow that makes more sense then using rfactor2/UserData ? lol p

--------

OT

I run dedicated menu to host, ISI made it so 5 year old could do it. :cool:

Point being , I keep telling people advantage of running offline room online for years, they don't seem to get it as no one has ever said ......" You know DD that works great ! " not a 1.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It needs the cars and tracks you're hosting with, and a vMod that you create to reference those cars and tracks. If you can host on your own machine fine, a server is the same thing.

13. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

Thanks for the Replies,,although they only helped a Little,,24 hours later 265 views,my server STILL not running,and all I get is
    ,,to me this says,Server needs everything my game has,,Although I Know that can't be fully true,,,A SERVER DOES NOT NEED Graphic files,,which is the brunt of file/folder size,,it just doesn't make any sense that I have to COPY my game into another directory,,then go in UNPACK ALL .mas files and remove said "graphic" files__mainly because WHO will, for hours on end, upload GIGS and GIGS of data the server Doesn't even need,nor has the capacity for.. My "installed" folder is Only 8gig right now(we only have 11 tracks for SCRS)although I only uploaded 3Gigs,it took 7 hours,this has been a 10YEAR developementand we are still in the Dark ages.....I am NOT trying to downplay the game or anyone,,but COME ON, 2 years of developement on just na$car cars w/no beta testing from community,,and we get this from one of the SCE guys
    ,,then the tire issues,which I also CAN'T understand(i took tires from a vette,before release of SCRS,and had them WAY closer then current,and it only took me 2 days)

I'm really NOT trying to sound like a Dick,I guess I should just go Back in my bubble,daily,, pop around to All the different sim-racing communities,,shake my head--smack it against the wall a few times,,sit back down and smoke one(or 3),,so I don't become a MASS murderer or simply Lash out at all the idiocy Constantly flowing

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  14. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I've got a headache trying to read your posts. Try to use proper punctuation, please.

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Well firstly... you did not explain your server set-up, we aren't telepathic. We told you how "normal" dedi servers get up running. Next...

1. If they have a build of rf2 already on the server machine, they just need the car, track and vMod.
    2. You are saying you can't open mod manager on the server?
    3. You only have access to it via FTP?
    4. Has the server providers told you they assure you rF2 works on there?

If you expect us to understand the set-up, you need to explain. Instead of bashing your fists on the keyboard, getting on your soapbox and ripping into rF2 for no reason whatsoever.

Many people are running dedi servers already... either your server set-up is unconventional or there is something weird happening.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I wouldn't want to manage a server without remote access. *shudders*

17. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

Thank you
    ,,I thought I had explained best I could,by saying "upload" and "what a server "needs"

I also "said" I wasn't trying to "bash" anything or anyone,,clearly what I "complained" about,is an issue,I am fairly computer literate and my server is still not running,nor even a reply about said "graphic" files!!

I would rather not mention other games here,my reference was purely that,and the fact How Easy It IS with that setup they have!!Is there a reason we can not have a program as such??

Currently the server manager has installed the rfcmp of mod from server "Packages" folder,I have made rfmod for the rfm folder,,hopefully correct,and I guess that is the vmod,why it is not called that,I don't understand,,haven't seen a yellow icon says vmod,,added that to Packages folder and pasted .mas files into server rfm folder,from my 'installed/rfm'

Spotted a Manifests folder added all mine to server
    Pasted my 'Installed/Locations' to server,originally also added Vehicles this way,and deleted all .dds files before server transfer
    Added only 2 rfcmp of tracks to packages,Although my server track list starts at Brookdale,Joesville is first in server packages

The 570+ views and Lack of Replies Clearly shows lack of knowledge or one of the core problems w/current games,and the Fractured Sim-Racing Community___

Since you might have the Impressions of me, not liking the "rF2 game<<I think if More of us Circle Na$car style racers would try this,they would genuinely say,,"These Are fricking Badass"

The progression of the game has also been rewarding,I enjoy the Current UI the best as all the rest,,for one thing,,Keep up developement guys,,F rF3--this will go for a long time...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  18. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

20 slot server 14.99$ 10slot for 7.99$,do you know of remote access w/that price???I would be interested<<clearly it should be rather inexpensive these days to have a server,when you can Self-host on your Own connection,,that already cost 60+$ a month!!

19. MichaelBd39

MichaelBd39 Registered

Really??the whole reason for such punctuation's,, is this isn't a Video and you can't Visualize my expressions",, thru words,, on 1D paper!

I see your Italian??No offense,,Please,,I hope you understand a little net communicating this way

20. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.