Stock Car Tire Wear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm so happy simulations are getting serious about tire wear thus forcing tire management

the gap between arcade / simcade vs simulation is widening

puts a bit more intelligence into sim-racing also

2. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

we still have it easier here than real drivers ... you can pop open the vehicle information tab thingy and just watch your temps live to make sure you don't burn up the tires :)

I find this implementation to be quite realistic and fun. I'm really enjoying that it isn't just about how fast you can scoot around the track, but that there are other factors. First time i've seen this in sim racing. iRacing, last I raced (its been a month or so), was just stringing together qualifying laps and hoping that you don't bin it the entire race.

3. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Easier to manage the car while driving? Not sure. Depending on how pro the series is there are platoons of engineers and mechanics with up to 20-30 years in business feeding the information to the driver. While not driving, a driver doesn't have to worry about anything other than just giving feedback and just lay back. Also there are cars that have multifunction displays that carry way more info than we get in our status windows (it may be enhanced, which I really hope for because rF2 dashes capabilities are still way below where it could and should be).

Also about knowing what the tyre temps are just by looking at a small window in the corner, real driver doesn't need that, he feels the car so well that he can tell if the pressures are above or below by 10 kPa. They feel how much they are sliding, or understeering so they can avoid it and make the tyres last longer.

I would say that we still have it more difficult than real drivers and unless some inner ear implant is developed so it can "simulate" g-forces and movements as if you were in a actual car while driving in a sim we never will have it as easy as they have. :)

The only easier thing for us is getting away with crushes and expenses for damages. ;)

4. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

ACK! I would never use such - I would vomit all over the place! :D

5. bwana

bwana Registered

just curious ,are you relying on the ingame tire graph for this deduction or are you using track map plugin. I found once I started using track map that although getting tires down to say 2 red cherries on the ingame graph track map was telling me 45% +/- of tire wear left. this gave me a lot more confidence to keep lapping but to be mindful of lowering tire grip. Previously I would pit to be sure of not either, deflating a tire or binning the car on track somewhere.

6. RG6871

RG6871 Registered

Amen.. Love the tire model so far its amazing.

7. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I've got to give that a +1.
    It's the Nissan GT-R GT1 that's got me doing some serious rethinking on my driving. And you know what? I'm really enjoying it. It's getting closer to the real-world experience, and that's what we're all about here, isn't it?

8. Eddy

Eddy Registered

9. machine

machine Registered

You must be running x2 or more tyre wear. I have run quite a few races on the ISI servers in the last few days. I ran on the 15lap-3x server & the 20lap-2x server, and I was able to do both length races without pitting-running out of tyres.