2 Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Any tips for getting better depth perception (other than using an oculus because I can't afford it right now)? I'm playing on a 1080p 46 inch TV that's about 3 feet away from my head. It's great, and everything looks lifesize (kind of), but a big problem is depth perception and sense of speed. I'm always messing up high speed corner entries because It's very hard to tell exactly where I am or how fast I'm going. That's a big problem for fast open wheel cars (F1 and such) that require very precise driving. Is there a trick that I don't know about?

How do I get a decent framerate while recording? I can get 80-90 fps easily normally, but when I hit record with bandicam (Fraps is even worse) It normally drops down to about 20-25, which makes driving difficult because of the resulting steering lag. It's even worse when I'm trying to record a race with other cars. I cant get above 10-15fps, which makes it impossible to drive. I don't want to turn down recording quality or game settings too much or the video will look bad.

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

For the first question increasing FOV will increase your sense of speed. May not be an option for you I fully understand though. :) Other than that I say just keep an eye on your speedo or tach, whatever vehicle you choose to drive and you'll eventually train yourself and get used to it.

For your second question have you tried other options for recording such as shadowplay if you use nvidea or there is another one for ati cards that I don't know the name of. There is also Action! that is a paid capture software but they do have a free demo to try it out for 30 days I believe.

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Only way to get depth perception is with 3D. So a 3D headset (eg. Occulus Rift), Nvidia 3D Vision, etc. I guess some games can fake perception for you where it (the game) applies a slightly increasing blur to everything the further and further away things are from the player (replicating the same effect that happens in real-life). I'm guessing this could be done using the DOF (depth of field) graphical effect but in an increasing-blur-to-everything-the-further-they-are-from-the-player type of way rather than the camera-style (focus on a particular depth) DOF so many games use as a completely fake and gimmicky effect. As far as I know though, RF2 isn't capable of DOF graphical effects.

3D is bloody amazing in these sims. Astonishing. It goes absolutely hand-in-hand with a 1:1 FOV as-well as triple screens (or at-least a very big screen) in my opinion.

With regards to a proper 1:1-with-real-life FOV, use a FOV calculator to figure out your proper FOV. Do a google search for "rfactor fov". The website with the FOV calculator should be one of the first results.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

After watching your videos, read up on field of view... right now, you've got the screen too far away and the FOV set unrealistically high, so you can't see the details. Move the screen to about 28" away and use an online FOV calculator.

5. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

CLOSER?? haha it already hurts my eyes as it is. any closer and I'll be able to see the individual pixels. It's a 46 inch TV, not a little computer monitor.

Tried the FOV calculator which suggested 37, which is WAY too low for me. Looks like I'm barely moving when I'm going 190.

Anyway, I should really just do it in real life. That will solve both my depth perception and financial problems. Maybe Dale Coyne needs a real driver, not some untalented rich kid lol.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

My triple 27" monitors are arranged in a plane right now, so I've got only a little more width than your TV. That means my pixel density is roughly twice yours... do what ya gotta do, but a realistic FOV is your best bet.

7. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Oh wow. Shadowplay works perfect. No FPS loss at all. Thanks!

8. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Well 37 is a little too low for me, but I was playing on 63, and I've been trying around 50 now. So far it's helping.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

37 may seem low because you are making too big a change too quickly. Back in my GTL days when I first discovered this whole 1:1 FOV thing, I also thought the FOV was ridiculously small and undriveable. I also saw the benefits of it as everything looked big and life-like, corners actually looked sharp and "big" like in real-life, I could notice so much more detail in the world (signs, posts, plants/flowers, etc.) and up- and downhills actually looked steep like in real life as-well as the smaller undulations being much more noticeable like real-life as-well. Regardless of the potential, it was just too much of a change, too suddenly, for me.

What I did then was lower the FOV by only 3 or 4 degrees and play like that for a week or two until, over a 2 or 3 month period, I had it finally down to 30 degrees.

At the time, my 1:1 FOV was somewhere in the high teens or low 20s (ridiculous setup i.e. small screen and far from my eyes) and there was no way in hell I could play at such a low H.FOV without triple screens so as a compromise, I settled on 30 degrees (or was it somewhere in the high 20s? I can't remember exactly).

You should try giving that a shot - gradually decrease the FOV.
    63?! Is the default FOV even that low? You don't know what you're missing :)

10. Maug

Maug Registered

Watchout though shadowplay might work and then it might not work anymore...

11. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Yep. Just like my... Umm never mind.

Hopefully it will KEEP working.

12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I would suggest to adjust your FOV to your liking and so that you can see enough and have a good feel of speed. :D
    Simpel as that! Calculators.......pfff

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

2) Use OBS (Open Broadcaster System) in file output mode with "Game Capture". Minimal frame loss while being able to keep the lag low.... plus you can overlay things over the top live while you record. NVidia cards will have the advantage of being able to make use of the GPU for encoding at high bitrates to.

Also... no watermarks and it is COMPLETELY FREE! https://obsproject.com/download Either choose "Original" or use the alpha "multi-platform" version.

14. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

1) with correct FOV and monitor distance, u can try TrackIR. It can gives u nice glance to the approaching corner.

2) Shadowplay handsdown....but still no patch for the visible window cursor in the recording. But small problem.

15. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Which is why you use OBS :p

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

@ Spin

Setting FOV and seat in combo can give a great perception of depth and effect speed immersion.

Take the F3 Eve, sit in pits at 40 FOV and adjust seat back/ forward to limits and keep your view fixed on 1 mirror and front tyre.

Then try 60 FOV and do same with seat, watch same mirror and tyre.

The "effect" of 3D should be pretty dramatic.

The view with the most perception of depth between the wheel and mirror gives me the best speed immersion.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

3D makes an astounding difference, nothing compares to it.

It's like two people fighting over using a gamepad or joystick but then another guy shows up with a FFB wheel, pedals, and shifter. Nothing else compares.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well obviously .............you entirely missed my point , forget it. lol ;)

19. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

ur fault *runn

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

wtf speak english ?

lol

Its as clear as the bloody nose on you face !@! sit in car tell me you do not see depth ( 3D ) perception change between mirror mounting and front tyres as you move you seat.

Heavens to betsy lol

USE a F3 Eve and do exactly as I said, if you do not notice effect I talk about you must not understand or even see what I talk about. lol

NOW do the same in AC or pCars Lotus 49 and see what happens you do not get the same dramatic depth of field perspective between the 2 parts ( mirror mount and front tyre ) I mention.