AI Braking Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PearceYaussy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Another big problem with the AI is they they don't seem to know the difference between asphalt and grass. One big example is exiting curva grande 2 wide at Brianza, the outside cars always, ALWAYS run wide into the grass and drive through the bushes, and then come right back on track. It's like they have no idea they aren't supposed to drive there. As far as they know, it's an asphalt runoff area or something. I have seen this issue at multiple tracks with pretty much any car, the AI will treat the grass as part of the track if they feel like it. They really need to take into account the surface types, and not just the AIW lines. If it's grass, then they should avoid it unless it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to go out there, to avoid a wreck. otherwise, STAY OFF THE DAMN GRASS lol.

Also, why do the AI use RF1 physics? Is it the same AI program from RF1?

2. TJ_Tas

TJ_Tas Registered

I get very frustrated racing the AI and think this is an area that ISI really need to do some more work. The 2 things I hate the most is the AI cheating on braking and not seeming to suffer the consequences of collisions. I only race the Howstons and there is one sure fire way to know the AI cheats in braking and that is to watch their brake lights fluttering as they take corners. I'm not talking about easing on and off the brake but a high speed flutter.

3. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Not only braking, but they do that with the throttle as well! And yes, the collision issue is a big one. I can try to take out an AI driver and I'm the one that goes spinning of the track. He just keeps on going.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Hi Mat, waiting for wheel back been a month but had email, no repair, new wheel coming very soon, must be out of stock.
    Got to replace headphones now ( listening to ai races with 5 buck earphones ) loool p

.... whatever you do people don't by those TT Sports headsets they are bad quality.

I was mainly referring to F3, these do everything dumbed down compared to the faster cars.

ISI has great sensation the way it makes cars really feel light over bumps, in other sims it rather feels like a brick.

This leads to higher power/torque Historics cars being very flighty.

Leave more room, sit 0.4s back and let the tow do the work.

I tell you one thing for sure and certain, it's easier for a good Historic pilot to dodge the Ai then navigate a path through a open room of rookies, especially when it comes to the ones that complain about Ai already.......... hehehe ;)

You should have seen the official ISI open rooms when we had 20 plus in BT20 and G6 races every day............ biggest pileups you ever seen. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Emery

Emery Registered

Nobody ever said the AI drive the same way people do. There's no reason to ever expect it to drive as we do.

6. Emery

Emery Registered

Aaargh! I love the Howstons, they were the content that persuaded me to leap to rF2 from rF1, but there really are better cars to race against the AI. Get out some and live a little by trying the other cars with AI. Drive the Oregon track with Renault Clios. Drive Portugal with FR3.5s. Drive Lime Rock with Nissans. Drive Silverstone with anything!

7. Emery

Emery Registered

Aaargh! That's not racing!

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You can wheel to wheel with ai at 120% no worries, I even rub tyres on tyres and tyres on cockpit but you got to be lucky getting away with the 2nd one, but you can do it.

Best thing to do is watch replay in slo-mo in alot of incidents you will find it was that little bit extra slide or movement caused a chain reaction.

Look at online physics now....
    I remember watching countless GTL/GTR/rF top league races where guys just brake trailed/ steered with huge lockups every lap.

rF2 you can get away with a few big ones and still put in a dynamite lap but do not push your luck ! :)

iRacing watching seems to me only best way is perfect braking and max grip levels 100% of the time, but that is just not real is it.

9. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

I know. I normally don't do that unless they try to wreck me and piss me off, which happens a lot. They would have killed me about 150 times already if this was real life. I NEED SOME PEOPLE ONLINE I'M SICK OF THESE AI MORONS!!! I tried to record a 5 lap race with Brabhams at Brianza, and after 27 ATTEMPTS I just threw my headphones across the room and gave up. They are just utterly impossible to have any sort of race with. Half the time I ended up upside down, or in the trees, or both, never of my doing. I might upload an "AI stupidness" compilation showing clips from all my failed attempts lol.

And before you say it, It's not my driving that's the problem. I have clean race after clean race with the AI in NR2003, GTR2, GTL, Codemasters F1, Assetto Corsa, you name it. But try to race the AI at 190mph with historics in this game and you must have a death wish lol.

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They use what was human physics in rF1, AFAIK. Why? Because your no systems can run 50 or so realtime rF2 physics calculations for your AI opponents, while doing it for you, too.

Only times I see grass running is when a car that shouldn't really be infront, is infront. Biggest tip I can give, for sure? Let the AI run a qualifying session. Going off track is usually a panic response.

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The AI drive a lot cleaner than that. 25% aggression and let them qualify.

12. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Pearce give them 2 laps to thin out, go on the defensive, let the tyres come to you then attack.

I see it all the time on old BT20 ISI server every rookie running up behind next car like 4 - 5 feet away going into Curva Grande then they grab faster tow down to Lesmos lol , fuel onboard, cold tyres ............

Recipe for disaster

ie: If you wait and let them thin out you only have to worry about one car at a time. ;)

My advice try 15 laps at Italy GP layout, run 7x fuel with Ai, and set them at a level you can stay with without having to push too hard.

13. TJ_Tas

TJ_Tas Registered

Yes there is a reason to expect it. If I am driving without ABS as these old cars should be then I expect the AI to be under the same restrictions. If they can flutter the brakes like they do then they are using an inbuilt ABS.

14. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

The AI is not affected by cold or fading brakes. So they more or less always braking with max available braking power. Don't know if the same is true of tires...

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

As an addition to what Tim said about the AI and why they use rF1 physics, to answer your last question, essentially Yes but No! The AIW Paths and code have been significantly improved over the rF1 counterpart, for example we now have BLOCK paths in AIW to assist with AI defending into corners, their Blue Flags reactions are much improved, the AI Learning process is again heavily improved over what we had before a long with other areas of their racing (see the changelogs for each Build to get an idea).

I've not raced the Historic Content for quite some time but I do know this is prone to more "issues" than the more recent series (from past experience), AI Learning could help with this as it can with most mods. All I will say is if you tweak & fiddle (which is what rFactor is all about!) then you can get great results from a poor situation with the AI....I know I've spent enough time doing that in the past 10 years :p

Fortunately, for me personally, I find the default AI in most mods just great (GTR @ Bathurst a prime example), sure they have their minor failings in certain situations but I can easily overlook those and have some fantastic battles against them. Remember, as they use rF1 physics they will never be perfect, but even if they used RF2 physics...they still would never be perfect ;)

There's no doubt it that RF2 has arguably the best AI of any game in a given situation, but like everything in Racing Sims there is always room for improvement and for me it's exciting to see what the future holds for AI racing :)

16. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Well, it's tough when they are always running me off the track, knocking haybales straight into my path, or piling up in front of me. Check out this video, then you'll understand what I'm going through. And it's not like I races for 3 hours and took the few mistakes they made and put them in a video. This all occurred within about a 20 minute period. Never got past the first lap in any attempt I made.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I will say with your attitude of calling them "idiots" and "morons" then don't expect ANY help from ISI, especially after uploading it to YouTube. It may well all be in jest but you're essentially advertising the failings of a game, no software company likes that, try to be a little more subtle about your grievances instead of all out attack ;)

Now lets look through each segment ('m bored waiting for a phone call so it's something to do before you ask!):

1 - He didn't see you in his mirrors = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    2 - He quite clearly clips the apex which forces his car to Hop slightly (as easily seen in the video) into yours = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    3 - He could've had a slow puncture or mechanical failure forcing him off the road, he could've lost concentration forcing him off the road = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    4 - He quite clearly is losing control of his car and the back end clips the hay bale = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    5 - Hard to tell from that angle but the AI have always had some trouble at Eau Rouge, IIRC AI Learning did help me in this area
    6 - Loses control = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    7 - The Red car quite clearly doesn't give #8 enough racing room = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    8 - Red car quite clearly sees the Blue having a moment and avoids into a spin = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    9 - Compact racing at the start of a race causing a crash? NEVER! = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    10 - See #1 but having said that if this is a persistent issue then it maybe could be fixed in future, for now though = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life
    11 - To far behind behind to tell what's going on, See #4 = Racing Incident, happens in Real Life

Conclusion: Aside from the fact that most of those Clips happen in Real Life and you need to treat them as such I will give you some pointers that have been stressed already:
    - Aggression settings maybe too high, lower it to see if that helps.
    - Always Qualify the AI cars.
    - Always make sure there's a decent amount of Rubber on the track.
    - Don't expect Perfection, Humans make mistakes too
    - Make sure your AI Mistakes in the player.JSON is a low or 0 setting

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

It is true! The AI is always outbraking me... but then again, I'm a miserable racedriver. ;) Usually 10 to 15 secs slower than the AI @ 100%
    Please don't make the AI so hard ISI. You're destroying my racedriver ego. :cool:

19. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

It does happen in real life, but not EVERY single lap. And it's not meant to be an attack at all. In fact, I think rF2 may well be the greatest sim ever made. The physics are far beyond any other sim out there. I just get aggravated with the AI when they constantly wreck, that's all.

20. PearceYaussy

PearceYaussy Registered

Ok, I deteled the video. It was a little too harsh I guess. Sorry guys.