Half car conversion crashing

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Chris Lesperance, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

So hopefully I'll be able to cover everything properly with this.

I'm in the middle of a project, and I can't quite put a finger on what I am missing. I'm working on something that is almost the same klaasvh with his EVE Matra (http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/20425-EVE-Matra-F1). In my case, I am applying the Eagle-Weslake engine to the EVE F1 chassis. The Weslake engine comes from Team Player's Eagle tribute mod (https://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Gurney Eagle Tribute). I have met Bob in person in 2006 when we were with D3 and created the rF Grand Slam mod. I do not believe he mods any more and I couldn't find any current contact info for him for proper approval. It also uses the MS10_RCHASSIS.GMT from the Matra mod. If this needs to be taken down because of that, then let me know and I'll reupload when the proper permissions are granted. Anyway I figured this would be an easy enough project to start to get my head around converting 3d models and rF2. I currently have everything situated, but I'm experiencing a crashing issue.

The issue is, in Dev mode, if I have all the files in .mas, the game will crash with this in the trace.txt (I'm assuming this is the error). The game will show the car, on the track for a split second before a CTD:

tire_manager 1379: Non-existent tire brand "INSTANCE=MS10_CABLES"

If I extract the files from the EVE_EAGLE_CAR.mas into the folder, everything works fine. No crashing at all. What I can't figure out is how, in the tire search, it is pulling up that 3d file from the .gen? I went through the files a few times and I am just not seeing what I'm missing. If I package it up into a .rfmcp and put into the regular game, the car will not show up on the selectable list.

I haven't figured out yet where or how the .tmg becomes involved. Also where the changing tires (ex Indycar Blacks and Reds, different 3d models or different textures) are referenced. I'm not sure if I have a line wrong with something with those where it is referencing the MS10_CABLES.

Any help will be appreciated!!

A link to what I have so far is below, extract to the rFactor2\ModDev\Vehicles. This version will crash. Extract the contents of the EVE_EAGLE_CAR.mas to the rFactor2\ModDev\Vehicles\EVE_EAGLE_VEHICLE\1.0 and the car will run.

View attachment 17993

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yfx4y0b4c6ckfhs/EVE_EAGLE_VEHICLE.zip

There will be more questions on the not too distant future about physics, sounds and other 3d issues :) In speaking of that, is there an "easy" rF1 - rF2 engine.ini torque curve converter? Or does the numbers all have to be done by hand?

Thanks again and thanks Bob for the original model.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. sugarfoot

sugarfoot Registered

The problem in dev mode is:
    in the spinner.gen you have Historic Challenge\EVE_EAGLE

In the gen file you have Historic Challenge\EVE_EAGLE_Vehicle

I got rid of vehicle in the folder name and the gen and it loads correctly.

3. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Great idea for a mod. As far as I know old style engine.ini files still work in rF2. As for sounds, I'd use the DFV sound file as a base and replace only the engine instances with the ones from the rF1 mod. All the other sounds like shifting, wind noise etc don't need to be changed. That's what I did with the Matra as I recall correctly.

4. Chris Lesperance

Thanks for catching that sugarfoot. I know I've gone back and resaved those, but I must have copied an old file into the mas. Unfortunately I'm still getting the CTD when the car is loaded on the track.

Thanks klaasvh! I really liked your Matra mod, so hopefully I can add to it :) I'm using a lot of your files as a base, replace Matra with Eagle LOL!. The sounds I was planning the same thing, using the original for the common sounds and then copy over the ones that I need.

Here is my trace, if that happens to help.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/c8uhw1jjehbrwd9/trace.txt

5. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe a "dirty" DevMode (e.g. there exist files with same name but different content) causes your CTD, here it runs.
    But the engine dies after ~2 driven kilometers. :)

Remove all Carfolders from the DevMode Vehicle folder and keep only the one from the Eagle, then try again.
    If you still have the CTD, create and upload a zip file from the DevModes car folder that you use.

6. Chris Lesperance

So after a little bit more testing, there is still an issue, but I think that it is working. After applying sugarfoot's fix, I decided to package the mod and apply it to the retail game. The crazy thing is that it worked! No crashes after track load up. Load the same files into dev mode, it will crash, and if I extract the EAGLE_VEHICLE_CAR.mas and place the files to that same directory, the game will not crash. So not exactly sure what is happening.

For redapg, I started with a fresh install of the Dev mode before I started. Realized I was running a really old version. I did clean out everything, but I still go the crash. About the engine, I did start putting in values from the rF1 engine, the ones that I could anyway. The engine was very unreliable, but very quick when it was running. I don't know much on the physics front, but I'm going to try and fine tune it so it is a little bit better.

Thanks everyone again for the assistance!