My Windows 8.1 experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Goanna, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Recently bought a new computer that came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, and after updating windows and nvidia drivers was ready to start installing some games, thought I'd start with a very old one (IL2 Sturmovik, a 2001 genre game), as I thought it would give me the hardest time. Installed it, crossed my fingers and it fired up normally the first time. Thought the rest would be a piece of ****. Then I installed rF2 and when I fired it up got error messages about not being able to install the default shaders and one about video modes. Googled the error messages and the popular fix was to update drivers, so that wasn't much help. :eek:

I then started to muck around with the video settings through the config tool, with pretty much the same result until I stumbled upon one combination (can't remember which now) that gave me an extra error message about c:\windows\system32\d3dcompiler_43.dll not being a windows file or corrupted, so off to Mr Google again to find out what that was about. Most popular responses I found were to reinstall directx, but this didn't fix things, back to Mr Google. Many hours later I finally found one post on the Firefall forums that gave me a link to a directx download and a couple of tips that proved crucial and that was to delete the offending dll file from the system32 and sysWOW64 folders before reinstalling directx...did that and now all is working, Some Steam games are being problematical now but I'm a happy chappy now that rF2 is working :eek:

If anyone has the same issues this is the link to the thread where I found my fix http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/d3dcompiler_43-dll-issues.57916/

Cheers

G

2. Ivan Baldo

Ivan Baldo Registered

Thanks for sharing your experience!!!