RFactor 2 Advanced Car Set up Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David O'Reilly, Sep 13, 2015.

1. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Thanks all.
    The spelling and other errors that have been advised have been updated on the source Word Document. Soon I will make a new pdf from that and link it. In the meantime those little errors will still be there.

Lou Is.
    Have a good read my friend, this is what its all about.

2. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Embarassing...
    I'll read again more carefully.:eek:

3. Lgel

Lgel Registered

Sorry there is no fast rule, I think the right comparison is that car tuning is a black art.
    I don't know if it was Prost or Senna that wrote that there is no cartesian way to setup a racing car, it is trial and error, based on your tuning experience.
    First you must understand all concepts explained in the guide, and the inter relation between them, that is the easy part.

You know now the basic rules of music theory, can you play piano now?

Now you must choose an esay piece of music, and work on it.

Translation, take a gt car with little aero downforce, Nissan 370Z for instance, high downforce cars can mask errors and introduce an added complexity, on a track you know perfectly.

Choose half tank (when all tuning will be finished, try with full tank and adjust if necessary).

Run with default setup until you are unable to improve your lap time, and that you are able lap after lap, to run in the same segond.

Use the tire widget and observe the evolution of temps as you lap, adapt you driving style to avoid understeer in corner entry (kills front tires).

Are you heating your front wheels much more than rear tires ?

Then observe the evolution of your tires, are you braking with front wheels only ?
    Use a wheel or keyboard key to adjust your brake balance.

Adjust gearbox to reach max rpm in the longer straight, and distribute gears accordingly.

Even if going slow in corner entry do you heat more you front tires than the rear tires?

Try to cure understeer applying the recipes you have found in the tuning guide.
    Most cars understeer on default setup to make them easier to drive for newbies.

Are you using now the four wheels of your car, and not mainly two?
    Are you faster on a long stint now?

Maybe you discover that the car which was so easy to drive with the standard setup, is now much more difficult to drive...

Then stop your tuning, and next week try the car again, are you able to reproduce the lap times?

Is the balance still to your liking?

After tuning a lot of very different cars, on very different tracks, slowly you'll begin to improve.

Remember there is no perfect setup, every setup is a compromise, and different drivers drive with different setups suited to their driving style and capabilities.

Avoid applying recommendations (this car requires xxx pressure) read on the forums without checking them by yourself. I have tried many setups downloaded from internet (may be 50, and I only drove one which felt good to me -from David (davidporeilly) by the fact-). Many drivers are able to set up incredible lap time with really awful setups.

After many years of car tuning, I often find myself in a situation where my car is worse and worse after each improvement I apply, so I close my session, and next week I'll start from standard setup again.

You won't be able to avoid the fact that a pianist with 20 years of continuous training is better than an other with 3 months experience.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2015
    atomed likes this.
  4. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Thanks for the long explanation. I will read carefully later since englush isn't my first language.
    Cheers

5. David O'Reilly

Original post updated with V1.1

6. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Nice one David. Perhaps it could be an idea to put this doc into the actual game installer? Create a Docs sub dir in Support or something.

7. David O'Reilly

Hi,
    That would be nice and Tim and I plan to chat about that sort of "official content" side when he has time.

8. yoss

yoss Registered

nice tutorial david !!

9. TehranSD

TehranSD Registered

its fixed, i checked now :)

10. David O'Reilly

The links to the guide have been deleted for commercial reasons.
    Thank you for those who have expressed their appreciation for the work.

David

11. P*Funk

P*Funk Registered

Commercial reasons?

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

So where is this headed now?

13. chrisbmxr

chrisbmxr Registered

Boooo... I'd love to get my hands on a copy of this ...

14. Ricky

Ricky Registered

The link does not work, can someone who has it send it on a pm? or a new link?
    Thanks

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

See David's post above.

16. Ricky

Ricky Registered

I have the file now.

17. borges

borges Registered

nICE WORK! pm With link plz, is it possible?? Tks in advance

18. tarros

tarros Registered

any link also for me ?
    thanks in advance

19. David O'Reilly

UPDATE 5TH MARCH 2016

After getting into a minor diplomatic crisis at home from spending £1,000 on a new OSW wheel I have made the decision to move this guide to a sales model to at least defray some sim racing costs.
    IE It will be something people can buy.

Some people will find this really upsetting, I can understand that. "The divine right of players to get stuff for free" being one of the gaming commandments in many cultures.

Others might feel that for the roughly the price of.......
    1. a high street cup of coffee or
    2. one print edition of Autosport or most magazines.
    3. 1/10th the annual Xbox live subscripton
    4. (or possibly more relevant) 10% of the price of the RF2 sim itself.

Is it fair?
    It is the fruit of between 800 and 1000 hours of my personal testing and set up work and draws on the knowledge of some of the world top sim racers. Its been endorsed by serious Simracing journalists and by ISI themselves.
    It will have a shelf life of several years. (The last really good one was written 13 years ago!)
    It will help my family understand this affliction of sim racing addiction.

So if you feel that it will make Rfactor2 (or your favourite sim) 10% more fun then its probably a fair price.

All the revenues will be directly re invested in sim racing, unless we suddenly become a global top seller and I cant soak it all up with triples, £500 pedals, more graphics cards etc etc in which case It will buy a real world racing car.

I will be setting up a site to download the guide. In the meantime you can send me a PM and I will organise it for you.

The price includes free updates as and when they are published.
    If you are a registered and licensed Formula Simracing driver you get it for half price.

The price:
    Standard version; £4.00 or €5.00
    Premium version (In which I will analyse and optimise 3 of your own set ups during a 12 month period and offer a 1 hour 1 on 1 session via team speak on the process) £40.
    OK that was really sneaky of me as it makes the standard one look really cheap, but you never know!

Thanks
    David

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  20. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I'm no native english speaker, and i just rushed over your post.
    So if i understand correctly you sell your Guide for real money ?

In a internet world, where we have 10^x guids for every game and every game engine ?
    And with with this, we fund your SimRacing-"Addiction" ?

Good luck with that!

Hey, maybe i start to sell stuff too.
    Special SimRacing-socks. Every Sock testet by me ;).

Sorry to be so harsh, but i see, that more and more people start too sell stuff, which "should" be free (yeah i know that is some controversial topic).
    No wonder, such communitys are so small, or die after some time.