RockPaperShotgun interview Tim Wheatley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hariseldon, Sep 11, 2015.

1. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Since it isn't Reiza, that certainly would be an amazing alternative. I'd kind of completely forgotten about their latest mod efforts, but holy cow if he actually knows something and those guys are being THAT ambitious. My favorite part about rF2 is the classic cars. So if somebody of that pedigree wants to build an entire game around classics, using the rF2 engine, it'd be wonderful.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I havent played any sim offline even remotely close to GTL. The career mode forcing the player to choose certain cars for certain series, the variety of cars and car characteristics in each race, and the moving up to the next of the 3 main series made me drive, learn, appreciate and highly enjoy every car and track.

No other sim has ever given me so much incentive and anticipation to play it offline and be so absorbed in it's world. With every other sim, it's just random car and track hopping depending on which sim/car/track has people online and in a joinable server.

GTL was awesome.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

That was the title that got me into proper simming, back with a Microsoft precision pro 2 joystick...
    Totally the same feelings, getting credits, test driving the cars. I remember a David and Goliath championship, little Alpine vs the big corvettes, bloody great stuff

4. David Wright

David Wright Registered

We don't always agree but on this we do 100%. Career modes are typically looked down on by the traditionalists and to be fair career modes do not always work well but this one did. There were many highlights but I particularly remember a 60 lap race at Monza. Without the career mode I would never have done a 2 hour race.

Did anyone catch the live stream of yesterday's St Mary's Trophy at the Goodwood Revival? Pure GTL. If you didn't I strongly recommend watching it when they put it up on Youtube later.

5. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Nope.

6. Minibull

Minibull Member

That's just sarcasm, ohh youu!

Right, GTL 2, here we come!!! :D

lol

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya, I don't understand the whole "elitist" thing about not having career modes either. It's like working your way up is arcade or something. GTL - best offline experience ever. RFactor 1 had a ton of potential too with the money system and huge amount of car-part upgrades.

OK????

8. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

What was it ? "rfactor baby factory" and suddenly I had millions of dollars :p

9. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

It's "ISI_BABYFACTORY"

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

11. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

++++++++1 ;)

12. Andreas67

Andreas67 Registered

For me, a very good example :D

13. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

I've been steadily coming round to the view that laser scans aren't that important and that talented modders can do an awesome job, and that video is a nice reinforcement of that. On a related note, when I drove at Silverstone (GP layout) for real, the track was absolutely identical to ISI's version. Kudos to ISI on a fantastic piece of work there.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I fully agree.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I agree, too. The problem is that to do a laser scan or the ISI-style survey is very expensive (time, resources, etc.). So we end-up with relatively few pin-point accurate tracks. I'm glad we also have some amazing fantasy tracks like Mills, Essington (and hopefully Toban now that gJED is out) to enjoy.

16. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Would be great. So I also noticed that the whispers of the updated Nissan and corvette doesn't work...maybe it's because it's not necessary now because of the clear windshield.....I guess...

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9301I mit Tapatalk