[WIP] Kyalami Racing Circuit

Discussion in 'Locations' started by osiris32, Sep 10, 2015.

1. osiris32

osiris32 Registered

Kyalami Racing Circuit v1.1
    Converted by osiris32 and stonec

I cannot remember which track we converted this from but we take no credit for original track.

-Mesh updated by stonec

Needs:
    -Texture Work
    -Possible other minor work

Direct Download

You can leave a rating or discussion here:
    http://www.avidchronicracing.com/XenForo/index.php?resources/kyalami-racing-circuit.32/

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So basically.... whether you know or don't know the author, you are messing with their work anyway?

Will this be the disclaimer for all the work you do to "get around" asking permissions from original authors?

3. osiris32

osiris32 Registered

Well it was going to be converted anyway regardless of the permission. I am just making it public for the benefit of the community.
    If people don't like it I will take my tracks down.

When the authors do not make it easy to contact them, but expect permission (on a track that they have no rights to, keep that in mind) I feel this hurts the modding of rF2, which is why the game isn't as popular as others right now.

4. James Kirk

James Kirk Registered

I certainly feel that the Permission stage of track conversion is only an optional one for sure but is dismissed at Authors' own risk. For example, I knew that WCP was active when beginning work on a Sochi conversion so I could easily get in contact and secure the thumbs up from them to work on their track.

Ultimately though there are a lot of rFactor 1 mod authors who quite simply aren't around anymore. I'm sure Osiris would agree with me here in saying that if the original mod author had a problem with the track being converted then they would get in contact ASAP and Osiris could taken down the track. Osiris is 100% correct on the rights thing however AND remember that all this free content is OPEN SOURCE. It isn't like URD's work where they have slapped a price tag on there and specifically ruled against redistribution.

Just playing Devil's Advocate though - TL;DR it is Osiris' risk to take.

Cheers for the great work anyway! Great to see Kyalami on rFactor 2 and in such a good looking state as well!

5. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

The source of this track might be even older than some forum members here. It was converted to F1 2002 from SBK2001, released in 2000, by Simbin when they were still a modding team. After that it ws converted to all other ISI sims I think.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Open source? Ahhh... so everyone's work is fair game... because they are making something which is "illegal" anyhow! Makes perfect sense.

So in comparison.... someone copies a dvd, then the next guy rips it, then says "well he did the illegal stuff.... so it is good for me to do it to".

Knock yourselves out.... go ahead.

Oh.... and by the way... just because these things are in the public domain (freely downloadable). It does not mean these pieces of work are OPEN SOURCE.

7. osiris32

osiris32 Registered

And you feel so strongly against this that you decide to mirror a track done this way!

If the initial modders took into consideration copyright we would have no tracks.

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks! Maybe ISI's RF1 Silverstone next, the version with Bridge corner?

9. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

He just converted it as is, and took no credit for it. Nobody broke any of your imaginary rules.

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

So copying an artists work, and then saying you take no credit for it.... makes it ok?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

aahh the good old "Copyright" argument, this surfaces every 6months and turns into the usual binfest of people arguing over something that in reality doesn't really affect them, the argument goes round and round and round and round and round until the thread is locked.

If you think something is "fishy" then PM the mods, if it's declared an illegal conversion then the thread will be locked, either way the track will be available "somewhere else" anyway...so all a major fuss for absolutely nothing!

12. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I generally agree that scratch-made stuff needs proper permissions to go around.

But if someone already ripped a track out of a game, then by that very act he didn't honor the copyright of the original developer. To argue that he then deserves full copyright and authority over his work on the same piece of data is a bit hypocritical.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  13. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Marc, every 6 months? Every 6 days really...

And Woodee... You linked to a youtube video in another topic of a Shift-origined track. Just letting you know so you can edit that post :) Fight the power!

Meanwhile I'll download that track and enjoy the **** out of it. I bought Shift.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Which vid?

15. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Hmm........ It MIGHT be in the videos topic :)

16. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Two tongues...

17. stonec

stonec Registered

+1. If there is someone still around from that time that want to claim ownership, we are happy to take it down.

Textures are not albedo so I suggest testing this track with HDR off for now. Me or osiris32 will revisit it at some point. For now the main contribution is to bring the road resolution to rF2 standards. If you have suggestions for other tracks that need the same treatment we'll happily have a look at some point.

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

a link would be handy.

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Wonderful track in that video, I'd not have found it otherwise...