970 gtx, big performane problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex_, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

I don't find any option in uefi to force x16

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Maybe try rolling them back then?

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As people have pointed out, there is no issue with the software on your system specs, so there is some config issue either with your hardware or the software on your system.

Have you tweaked anything in the control panel for your card? Remove it.
    Have you tweaking anything in the sim? Remove it.
    Have you set a framerate cap that is below 60?
    Are you using vsync?
    Yes, PCI settings can cause issues, because although your CPU and GPU should not Bottleneck (http://www.maximumpc.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/), you are making a difference in running 2.0 even if it is not noticed by games using less GPU (we are physics heavy), maybe that is enough. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

4. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Hi Tim,
    Rfactor2 might be physics heavy, but the limiting factor on most modern PCs seems to be graphics/GPU (constant 100% GPU load and the fact that lowering graphic options improve FPS by a lot shows that). Normally even GPU heavy games shows little difference when comparing pci-e 3 vs 2 and etc.
    However the difference in rFactor 2 is quite huge as per findings in the other thread. Is the reason for this identified/known? Maybe there is unnecessary texture preloading going on constantly?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2015
  5. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Thanks for the answer. I have done anything, i'm planning to upgrade to windows 10 and than format all. I have no idea how to force pci express 16x. I don't find the option in the uefi.

6. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

7. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Removed sound card, removed gpu, use integrated gpu, reinstalled gpu, now i have again the pci express x16!!!!
    In the previous test the fps go up from 49 to 71. Almost a +50% increase!!! Incredible.
    Now i must figure out how to reinstall the sound card without lose the pci express 16x.
    I really want to thanks all for the help.
    One last question, obviously for the test i used the vsync off, for normal play is better gpu or video?
    Bonus test: cobra on brianza 2.0 with 4 ai go from 28 fps to 49. A +75% increase!!!
    Ok now let's race! :)

8. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

Well i reinstalled the sound card and.... i still have 16x !!!
    Strange bugs are strange
    Thanks again for the help.
    In the next day i'm planning to reactivate sata 3 for the ssd and see what happen.
    For now i only want to race....

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

:)

Good luck.

Ok, so looks like it's back to normal. My 970 was producing 86 fps with 3.0 x8 (i.e. 2.0 x16 mode). Which is 20% higher than yours but that may be due to the fact my card is overclocked to run at 1500 mhz core and 8000 mhz mem when in load.

Not tested these for at least 3 years but last i tested, using the games built in "video" mode for vsync caused something like a 200ms input lag that you could visually see but it did make the game buttery smooth. Last time i was racing, i was using adaptive vsync with 120hz monitor.

That was fast, lol. Good to hear it's worked itself out. :)

Will be interesting to hear if switching back to sata 3 will cause the issue to reproduce or not.

10. 88mphTim

As stated, with his system they are possibly connected. GPU can be affected by CPU and mobo.

Edit: ...as he has now confirmed.

11. 88mphTim

It probably reset bios during that process for you.

12. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I am asking is there a particular reason why rFactor2 is so sensitive regarding pci-e mode i.e. pci-e 3.0 x16 vs 2.0 x16. It seems there are no other games that would show performance difference. :)

edit:
    Alex confirmed that he is now getting +50% fps switching to PCI-E 2.0 16x. People in separate thread experience ~20% difference when going from PCI-E 2.0 16x to 3.0 16x. This shows that running PCI-e in different modes can cause drastic performance differences in rF2 (to the level of unplayable). However it seems no other games show such difference (in fact the difference might be small enough to call it "margin of error" in most cases).
    So my questions is what rF2 is doing differently in this regard?

13. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

I have just tested PCI-E 3.0 x16 vs 2.0 x16. There is no +20% difference with build 998 , claim is placebo.
    My system is i7 4790k, Assus Maximus MBO, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Classified Kingpin.

14. unknwn

unknwn Registered

The performance difference depends on the GPU also I think graphic settings should have impact too. If you read the other topic you would notice that there are people who performed actual tests so I am not sure why you claim "placebo".

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Then your going to have to explain away 20+ other people's observation that it's not a placebo: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26237-970-gtx-big-performane-problem

16. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Why should I explain anything. I have tested PCI-E 3.0 x16 vs 2.0 x16 Build 998 with my system and there is hardly noticeable difference.
    If you look closer this thread I don`t think you are able to figure out if Alex was using PCI-E 3.0 16x, 8x or was it PCI-E 2.0 16x, 8x, 4x etc.

17. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I don't think you have looked close enough.:) He confirmed that he had x8 2.0, then he somehow managed to switch it to 16x 2.0 and the FPS issue was gone.

18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Yes sound card installed to PCI-E slot is one kind of confirmation what to believe and what not.:rolleyes:
    What I tested was PCI-E 3.0 x16 vs 2.0 x16>PCI-E 3.0 8x. I don`t claim that PCI-E 2.0 16x vs PCI-E 2.0 8x is placebo.

19. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

1500 core clock?? My g1 gaming it's only 1329...

20. Alex_

Alex_ Registered

My cpu, intel 2500 support only pci-e 2.0, for some reason i was using PCI-E 2.0 8x, now i'm using PCI-E 2.0 16x. If you not believe me try it yourself, limit your card to PCI-E 3.0 4x and see what happen...
    Edit: what did you mean with "Yes sound card installed to PCI-E slot is one kind of confirmation what to believe and what not"??