AI field spread...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BlaringFiddle5, Sep 4, 2015.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

Let me start by saying that the AI in rFactor2 is better than any other current sim.

That said .. the one thing that makes it difficult to dial in AI difficulty for me is the very small spread of the field lap times. Just now I ran a practice/qualify/race at Lime rock park. I qualified in last (20th) and was only 3 tenths off pole position. Several drivers were less than one tenth faster than me. A little adjustment of the AI difficulty and i'd be on pole and no one would challenge me. Is there any way to spread the field out so that there is more of a gap in lap times from first to last so that it is easier to dial in the AI difficulty for good racing?

BTW ... this was Lime rock park (no chicanes) - Palatov cars - 95% difficulty 100% aggression 0% AI limiter. It was like pack racing. The field never spread out at all (well maybe a little) over a 20 minute race.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I would assume that is internal to the Palatov, maybe? I remember Tim saying he went through and made individual "drivers" for each car number, different behaviors and stuff like that.

Edit: I meant Tim said that about the civic, sorry XD

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes. Propably there is no talent-file, what means that every driver is at 100%.
    Lets hope that this change with update of Palatov.

4. BlaringFiddle5

Ok - I'll check another car tonight and see what is up. I seem to recall this being a problem on all cars, however...

5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It may well be that the AI are very similarly matched in their respective RCD values, this would mean that they will qualify and finish roughly the same, remember they are in the same car on a fast running track so times won't be hugely different. I'm sure a longer race would yield a bigger spread as I found out with the mods I'm racing.

The AI Limiter doesn't seem to be doing much for me (with other mods) I've noticed in the previous and latest Build, not saying it's Broken but from what I've seen the Spread stays roughly the same regardless of % change so maybe that could be another reason.

There are four RCD files in the Palatov Mod.

6. BlaringFiddle5

I get that but .300 spread between 1st and 20th in qualifying? Even Nascar doesn't achieve that... I should think there should be at least a 1 second spread... is there anything that I can do on my install presently to make that happen?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I got 0.500 but again as I said it *could* be that the Talent files are similarly matched, play with the Limiter setting (try 0% then 100%) just to see if there is a difference, also try LRP with one or both chicanes, see if a slightly different layout affects them more.

Edit: I just tried the Civic and got 1.2s spread between 1st & 20th, I'd put money on the Palatov Talent being your issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

You can always create Virtual Rides if you don't like the supplied talent files.

9. JNRRR

JNRRR Registered

Observed the same "times-spread-issue" with URD EGT cars on Interlagos. Actually i have a spread of about 0.8-1.0 sec between 1st and 18th in Qualifying. Tested it three times.
    I have raced more then 10 hours with this combination and i am sure the spread was with build 982 much bigger, 2 seconds or more.
    Also i use adapted talent files (Different values under "AI EDIT").

10. BlaringFiddle5

Virtual rides?

11. BlaringFiddle5

Ok - ran Palotov at Mills metro inner loop c - qualifying I was .300 faster than the fastest AI at same % difficulty as Lime Rock ... not sure why I should be faster there :) That was using default setup.

The rest of the AI field was split by .500 (2nd - 20th) in qualifying.

In the race, the I finished in 1st ... 3.4 seconds up the road from 2nd. The AI was split by a total of 16s on a 20 minute sprint race. That seems reasonable to me.

Perhaps we could get some setting for minimum/maximum AI lap time? I would give a 2 second spread. Then it would be easier for me to dial in so that I am running in a crowd and not either 1st or last...

I'll try a different car tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

12. Emery

Emery Registered

Making a Virtual Ride: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-change-ai-names.101816/#post-1948104

The benefit of making a virtual ride is you can easily edit the talent file for the AI. For testing purposes, make their names obvious so you can pick them out of the results. If you make 6 Virtual Rides, then you can give them speeds of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, & 100 to gauge how you want your pack of cars. Semipro racers in spec cars can be fairly close in laptimes (see the defunct Formula Two results) while amateurs and non-spec cars will follow more of a bell curve in their rosters.