Finally tried the new build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bsmooth, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

haven't updated since Build 382, which was quite awhile ago. That build ran very smoothly with no stutters at all. This newer build runs pretty well, but the latest track Atlanta Motorsports Park, doesn't run smoothly at all. I finally shut off saving replays, and now its better, but still has stutters coming out of the pits, and coming around corners in particular.
    Other tracks seem to run pretty much stutter free. Obviously with my system:
    DX: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz @ 3.30 GHz
    QPC: 3215410 tps
    SRAM: 8176 MB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    VRAM: 4058 MB
    I'll have to make some adjustments, and Guimengo was great in giving me these suggestions:
    Graphics tips:
    AA set to 4x
    Player detail set to full
    Textures to full or high
    Track and opponents to high
    Special Effects mid or low
    Shadows mid/low with fast blur
    Soft particles on low
    wind and crowd off
    Env. reflection low or high if you can spare FPS
    Road relfection low because the realroad is shiny like wet asphalt

You should be running > 60 FPS on that
    Would there be any others that would help specifically with newer tracks like Atlanta ?

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Atlanta Motorsports Park is the most demanding track of all!
    Even people with way better GFX-cards do have problems here.
    Theres not much you can do if you don´t want to turn visual quality further down.
    Although I for one don´t agree with all tips he gave. I would it make different......
    You can safely turn player and opponent detail down, even to "low" as all that this setting does is use less polys for car-models. But car-models are THAT high-poly nowadays,
    that you won´t see any difference (or let´s say it´s very hard to tell any difference)!!!! But caution: to avoid low-res textures you have to do the following:

Player.JSON
    "Graphic Options"
    "Opponent Texture Override":3,
    "Player Texture Override":3,

With this method you can safe a lot of graphical computing power.
    As especially for Atlanta I would recommend to turn Track detail down.

Then you may safe enough to crank shadows up, what I would call important!

Hope it helps.
    Greets
    Pete

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  3. Justy

Justy Registered

Hi Bsmooth, I would recommend deleting the contents of the cbash and shaders folders. Which are located in Documents/rFactor2/Userdata/Log folder, you will find that after doing this, tracks will take noticeably longer to load the first time, but then things should return to normal. Failing that a completely clean install of rF2 might help too. Hope that is of some help. :)

4. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

I noticed that with the Atlanta track and the AC Cobra seems to be the worst combination of all. The track was pretty much a slideshow with the Cobra.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

In AMP specifically you should reduce shadows to low (might as well do the same with special effects) and POSSIBLY circuit detail to high. One other thing to change is the AA from 4x to 2x, but only before or after changing the other stuff and see the impact to your FPS.

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I don't know why people keep suggesting this. ISI fixed this many builds ago. Try it yourself: make any significant change to graphics (the ones you can only change while in the main menu and not at a track) and the next tine you load a track you have already been to, it will have the same slow (fresh) load time as if you deleted the CBash files manually.

And, all of the settings in the list have little impact compared to whether multisampling versus supersampling underpins them, and this also has a big impact on the image quality. So without specifying which is used, FPS comparisons are useless.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The major parts of your system are from 2011, and while it is a nice system, it is not cutting edge. In 2011 I had a GTX 570 and have since had a 770 and now a 970. I also upgraded to an i7 CPU, and that's what you should expect to get nice FPS with a largish field on a recent track with full settings.

You're going to have to tweak your settings a bit to cope with the higher quality content from 2015 and beyond.

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Na, do you want to tell us a 2500k can´t feed a 970?
    Doupt that......

9. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

i5 / 4690 stock will run a GTX970 backwards !

But ? why you would want to cut the balls off a GTX970 and run it @ PCiE2.0 ?

You be better selling your cpu/mobo/ram/GPU combo ( they still bring good money especially if they do 4.8GHz+ stable at low volts ) ........and buy a new Combo

Factor in the extra value/speed of pci3.0............ it is a no brainer and would be good bang for buck in rFactor2.

10. Alesi

Alesi Registered

ha.. maybe need a better optimization? lol...

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

That makes somewhat sense.... first time I feel that about a DD-post LOL! :p

12. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Upgrade from i7 2600k to i7 6700k yields ~30% performance increase after 4 years and with the dropped euro new intel cpus (of the same class) cost almost 30% more than it used to (in Europe). Which gives 30% performance increase at the 30% price increase, after 4 years. A bit ridiculous.

Other than that you get PCI-e 3.0 which is reported to increase graphics performance at ~20% as per rFactor PCI-e "anomaly", which must be a good thing and at the same time worrying because no other games shows that difference. Does that mean rFactor is doing something wrong or everyone else?
    Also another question raises "why would I need to have 2015 hardware for the graphics that isn't from 2015 apart from some high poly car models"?

13. Justy

Justy Registered

Ah, I must have missed that. Apologies for the false information. I assume this applies to the shaders folder as well then?

It's funny, I had been having stuttering issues, after I upgraded to win10 (admittedly, this was at all tracks), so I tried this trick and it seemed to work. But perhaps this was just a placebo, or maybe windows update was up to something in the background and had finished by the time I got back in game.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

14. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Since I also run the original Rfactor, mostly for the 65 F1 mod, and are budget constrained, this will have to do for awhile.Besides If all else fails I run Stock Car Extreme and iRacing as well, and all those run with my current system with no problems at all, even with full fields.
    But your right to get the most out of Rfactor a 970 and I7 would probably bump up performance by at least 50%.

15. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Im running i52500 z(old) with 760 on triples in 5760 x 1020.. everything on full except shadows on medium.. and reflections on low.. get a clean 50-60 fps on every track.. with 20 field

16. demerzel

demerzel Registered

I don't know if you are serious or a troll lol. I believe this is your main problem: AA set to 4x with ancient vga.

17. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Did they make a 4GB 560 TI ?

18. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

OP: what car did you test with? If it was the Palatov, try disabling heat haze in Upgrades. That caused some frame rate problems for me when I first used that car at AMP.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dunno wot he is on abouts anyways.

2500K and even a GTX460 ran fine for rF2 from build . ( dot)

Ran smooth fast laps online.

I ran 4x 8x light shadows, no blur no HDR and kept away from fps sucking circuits.

You run settings too high yes it would stutter obviously.