gJED feedback

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by 88mphTim, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Glad you got it working lasercutter... I figured graphics problem, but never would have guess that.

2. TurboPig78

TurboPig78 Registered

I've gotten a strange error when defining my wheels as "deformable":
    View attachment 17821
    View attachment 17822
    It seems like half of the BODY mesh has collapsed into the chosen tire. The other parts of the car seem to be ok.

Apart from that it looks really nice so far :D
    I just have one little wish: SpaceMouse support please. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
  3. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

I have the problem trying to open an older project (track/scn) i used for test purposes. The gJED shows nothing or it shows a black screen. Depending on what i select by the path.

4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

sounds like view... if you're too close to it, the model it will do that. or if you're on wrong side of one sided material? also do you know where origin is of the file? If you like I can test it to see what happens for me.

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

@ Wishmaster... In your track

I don't find them either, but I get sky all around. as no model there. Is there a zoom extents?

edit: Got the Ambulance to open, it was off of origin by a ways, must be part of full scn model.

edit II and the army trucks. looks like everything is off origin. But scn still won't load.
    View attachment 17824

edit III loaded scn this time, decided to check mesh list and found many mesh, can't seem to see any. wonder if a sky dome is in the way? no sun or sky visible.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That's a bit confusing. What are you talking about?

EDIT: ok, I guess you got the scene from Wishmaster and replied on the thread. :)

7. Tuttle

Did you try loading into the standard viewer.exe? Asking that because it sounds like your scene is not centered at 0,0,0 (which is the default location where gJED start). If that's true you should get a similar problem in the viewer.exe.

8. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Hi,

I’m excited about gJED. I switched to Blender after my early track making attempts in 3DS Max and have learned a lot in the time since, and have got basic tracks working in AC. gJED makes my original goal feasible again – the idea that got me into 3D in the first place.

A few questions!

1) what is the spacing of the grid floor in metres? I’ve imported a road mesh but it seems maybe too small through the camera’s eye. I’m working in metres in Blender so it should be ok, but knowing the grid size would help.

2) is there a preferred FBX format for best results? Blender can do FBX 7.4 binary and FBX 6.1 ASCII format. I could only get the AC editor to see the 6.1 exports.

3) do I need to set up a full track file structure for the textures to show in the editor? What I did was make a road mesh, UV unwrap it with a colour grid texture. I then just made a folder on my desktop, exported the fbx into it, and copied the texture into it. The mesh appeared in gJED as black but when I added a shader to it it turned white and when selected I could see just the wireframe over the white. Even the placeholder grey textures didn’t show on the road. Only white! Some help here would be great – as soon as I can get textures showing up I can start making proper progress.

4) is T1 a basic shader just to get textures showing up whilst I’m testing? Is there a description of the shaders anywhere? Lerp?! I have the road and terrain pdf documents but the rest I’m not so sure about – although I will experiment of course.

That’s enough for now!

Many thanks,

Adam

9. Tuttle

Hi Adam.

1) 10x10mt.

2) Could you try with both and check which is the one working better? :)

3) You need the same structure as for the viewer, or devmode. With "structure" I mean a proper set of directories and a known root to load the entire scene listed inside the .SCN. As for the issue you're getting it's not clear what you did. Remember you need to export .DDS textures to work with gJED, as for the game. Also, the "wireframe" you see when you select a mesh it's just a function to visualize that mesh. You can change the color of the wirefrime using the color samples on the menu bar.

4) gJED is doing the job of our previous 3ds Max plugins, with the difference you now have realtime editing for mesh attributes, shaders and scenes files, instead the "Set, Export, Check" approach we were using before. That's it. Everything else in the creation process is working as before. This means you need to know shaders as before. :) A basic gMotor shader description is already there, in gJED, just press the "?" button in the Shader editor. A T1 it's just using a diffuse, so it is 1 texture using 1 stage. "Lerp" means Linear intERpolation. This function it's used in some shaders to mix two textures (for example two different grass textures) by vertex alpha. All this work (mapping, vertex paint etc..) has to be done in the 3D software as before.

10. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

Many thanks Tuttle, great info to help me get started. And reading that confirms the scale is correct!

11. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Do you mean the gJED.exe with viewer.exe?

When i load the track with 3d simed for example it looks like in the link.
    https://www.mediafire.com/?zfgxdnwra26u6en

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

but when it saved each gmt did it use that one origin? if so then each gmt would have that origin and be in that location relative to the start point you see.

13. Tuttle

Let's try to not make easy things complicated...:p

Gjed, as the Viewer, it's loading the scene at 0,0,0 coordinates. If you don't have anything there you will see just the sky all around. Your scene can be far away on the same altitude and/or far away on a different altitude, up or down.

This is why I asked if you can open the same project in the viewer.exe to cross check the problem.

14. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

Now i found the viewer exe. When i open the scn in the viewer i can see a part of the track and no black window like with gjed.

15. Tuttle

Then there is some offender in the scene causing that. At this point we have too many variables to evaluate the problem, but I'm pretty sure it's not a gJED issue.

If you want you can dropbox the scene and send me the link via PM to debug it.

You could also post a screenshot of the problem and video settings you are using for gJED.

16. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Have you included commonmaps.mas in the mas section of the open file dialogue box?

17. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

No i didn't. But with it works.
    Maybe it could be added in the wiki. Because i couldn't find the information there.

18. Tuttle

Interesting as this is not mandatory at all and I also never forced the mas rooting there. Probably means you are using some non-standard file structure. :)

19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I think when the mas is listed in the scn file it needs to be set in the open dialogue.

Joesville scn for instance.

I tried a track without the commonmaps listed in scn and there is no need to set the mas file location.

Edit: When you set the root path to ModDev\Locations it works!

20. Wishmaster

Wishmaster Registered

I am pretty sure that i am not using the standard file structure. But so far always everything worked fine. :cool: