Track weird after just import/export (3dsimed)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Navigator, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

I'm busy with Searspoint, the track I rerouted before.
    This track already has nice RR and all is fine there.

Now, I opened the .scn in 3dsimed (before it was all Blender and just to move a few cones) and this time; I just moved 1 cone, just to try.
    Exported as rFactor2 and thats all I did.

What I got now; trucks in the paddock with no livery on them, just white/chrome. Buildings partially see-through. And most of all; the RR was nice dark and had marbles on the side; gone now.......its all white where it was first dark.

I havent changed a thing.......nothing!
    How can this happen, did I miss some setting?
    I exported some gmt files (for cones) with Blender before and never had problems like this.
    Can someone help me out here?

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It's possible the scene isn't seeing all the textures. If your only moving a few objects only export those objects. Use Display object filter and select the objects you want then export. You get pop up message "include hidden objects" press no

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Ah, the good thing is I have all the .gmt's and .dds's from the other layout; I can paste them back in and try over.

Thanks, I will try this when I get home.

4. Tosch

Tosch Registered

This has nothing to do with the missing textures. Never export tree billboards with 3dSimEd. It destroys the rotation axis of the trees. I usually create an export folder for 3dSimEd and copy everything except the gmt's for tree (and maybe crowd) billboards in the gmt folder.

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Okay, I tested some.
    I first put back all the original (rF2) gmt's from the other layout version in the folder and had the track okay.

When I do the display thing and "isolate" one object; it is okay. So for rerouting a cone; this is the solution.

Then I went on; the trucks in the paddock were chrome after exporting; I selected all the trucks and isolated them. After I exported them; they were okay.
    Then I took a piece of track that was white when showing the race groove, isolated and exported it; it was now okay in the game; not shiny, just dark as it should be.
    Then I went to do trucks and track together, isolated/exported; trucks okay, track not.

I tried several things, but I can't seem to get a hold on when what happens.
    I would like to know what is different when I isolate one (or a few) things and export in comparison to just hitting export and thus doing the whole scene at once.
    Why? Well, when I convert a track, the appeal of 3dsimed is that its done easy and quick; I have spend many nights with Blender to do the same thing........so I would like to use 3dsimed.
    But sometimes, there are faults in there, faults like this; race groove the light/.dds not proper on objects and so on.

If I was to know what is different in those two versions of exporting; I could apply that when exporting a whole track when converting.
    Another solution would be to convert a track piece by piece, but that would take days...........and there is already enough to do when converting a track :)

But you got to admit; its strange that the trucks are okay when doing them separate instead of doing them together with the whole track, right?

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I've not experienced the problems you are having. I usually export anything without an issue. BUT now you can try gJED :)

7. Jezza

Jezza Registered

You can also use gJED for this sort of conversion work now, it presumably will not have bugs exporting trees as it's made by ISI.

8. Richard E Long

Richard E Long Registered

for reference:

gJED doesn't read rF1 GMT files (or at least I get an error about wrong version every time) - it does read rF2 GMTs. So for any rF1 tracks, you will still need to do a rF1 to rF2 conversion before using gJED.

However, it would be an excellent way to manage the materials that seem to be causing your issues. And you can export GMTs and SCNs directly from gJED.