Should I get an Oculus Rift DK2 if...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I have a chance of getting a used Occulus Rift DK2 for about $270 U.S.. Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems like a very good price (after a very quick check on eBay).

The problem is that I absutely adore my Nvidia 3D Vision triple monitor (3x BenQ XL2720T, previously 3x ASUS VG248QE) setup, not to mention in combination with TrackIR 5 (head tracking is barely needed though so the head tracking is only a minor point).

When I have my 3D Vision setup "hacked" to use 250% depth + the convergence (pop-out) set aproprietely (about 1:1 scale pop-out from game's steering wheel to my real-life steering wheel) + a 1:1 videogame-to-real-life FOV, the experience is truly, absolutely, gobsmackingly, amazing.

Now, I've used the Rift briefly twice and I was disapointed with the resolution/IQ but even more-so the lack of FOV (having to always move your head around to see things just felt gimmickey and fake). Also - and this is a very important point - but something about the in-game FOV setting or the scale of everything in-game or whatever just didn't feel right. It didn't feel like a correct 1:1 game-to-real-life FOV.

I just don't know what to do....

P.S. RFactor 2 and Stock Car Extreme are, by far, my main sims and that will not change based on which sims support the DK2 or not (only physics will ever change my go-to sims).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Is there DK2 support for rF2? I have my friend's dk2 and played assetto corsa with it. It was nice, but things maybe looked little bit smaller than in real life. Very good still and if rF2 will support the next version i might buy it.

3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Owning one and like to test on demos and few games but technology is not worth it right now if you want image quality. Was and still am a big fan of 3D in every aspect and you can call me a fanboy. Prefere 3D Vision (single screen) far more and afaik still no real direct support for RF2. (neither vorpx (vittorio posted a working tut inc. Tridef) nor vireiro). As money seems not a too big problem for you (judging by your great setup) you could get the DK2 for "amazing" experiences and fun when friends or relatives come over. That`s just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Don't get a DK2. Wait for the CV1, it shouldn't be too far away. Or wait for the CV2, as you are happy with your current setup.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

agreed, CV1 only 5 to 6 months away, might as well wait

saying that if my dk2 broke I'd order another dk2 instantly

Renza have stated they are going to release an update for VR support , I though it would gave came by now but not yet,
    I guess Isi will add support next year for CV1 ( hopefully earlier rather than later )

currently no compatibility with the sims you use so might as well await CV1

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Isn't there a way to use it for RF2? I thought I remembered an RF2-OR thread where people got it to work even though it's not officially supported. Or am I just dreaming? Lol

7. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

My two cents here,
    I own a DK2, and followed step by step vittorio's thread, managed to make it work, sense of inmertion is there. Anyway i have a problem that im not been able to find a workaround and it is that everything that is ten+- 10 feet further (or more) from the car, is blurry. The two images shown don't merge correctly, it's like a gosthing thing... that causes eye strain. Everything inside the car, gauges wheel, mirrors, shifter is perfectly shown in 3d.
    In other hand, for example Assetto works like a charm, fluid, perfectly natural and never ever felt in any game using a formula that i was sitting on the floor literally... so, with some support it works pretty well.
    I would love to drive RF, is by far the most exciting sim to play and it's my favourite, and having said that... i'm no using it at all... i just can't play thru a normal monitor anymore, it feels i'm not there. So i'm "stuck" with Assetto.

I Hope ISI gives us some support someday.:rolleyes:

8. Depco

Depco Registered

I dont own a DK2 but my thoughts are that if the only reason to buy the DK2 is for Racing sims I would hold off until CV1. However, if you play other games like Fallout 3, Skyrim, Etc. I would recommend it. The price is fantastic.

9. PaulG

PaulG Registered

If you're unwilling to play other sims, no.

Rfactor 2 doesn't have official support (and hacks are terrible). Stock Car Extreme, based on official comments on the Race Department forum, is at least a couple months off.

It didn't feel like a correct 1:1 game-to-real-life FOV.

Your IPD was set wrong then. You have to set your interpupulitary distance in the Oculus control panel. If the default setting is too large or too small, the scale will also be too large or small. The consumer versions will all be better in that they'll have knobs on the headset so you can manually adjust the IPD (the DK2 is fixed at 65mm and software adjustments are less than ideal if you're too far from average).

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

I would love to try this technology out but I have two issues, I am almost completely blind in my left eye. 3d doesn't work too well either as we have a 3d TV with the glasses etc, great for the missus but I am also red/green colour blind.
    Someone told me on a forum that unless you have pretty good 20/20 vision, you will suffer with eye strain and head aches. If I could try a demo I would but I think for the time being I'm staying on triples.

11. Depco

Depco Registered

The new CV1 has made adjustments that allow for glasses to be worn under the head mount. This should help with eye strain.

12. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I think the DK2 "B" lenses (included) are intended for people wearing glasses.
    For me, the immersion is huge, and i don't know if a perfect 20/20 sight is required, in fact the eyes work "less" because they don't even have to focus like the real life... in the DK2 they focus in the as you were looking at the horizon all the time.

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

IMO monitors are terrible for sim racing -a driver needs to look around & totally free head movement
    I'm pretty sure even the haters (of vr ) will be laughing at the thought of using monitors soon

Even the dk2 with its low res imo is incredible (with sweetfx to sharpen graphics )

Ps a monitor is good for windows desktop and writing letters though

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

15. cosimo

cosimo Registered

DK2 still not good for simracing IMO. Still not sufficient resolution, even though with native support like in AC, it really feels amazing to stand near or in the car.

Problem is, it's all blurry when the car is moving. In addition to that, I had issues with motion sickness and eyesight strain, as I'm a bit short sighted and the "B" lenses are not quite enough to correct that.

It's a step forward from DK1, but 3D vision is an entirely different - better - level.

16. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Should the OP get it if he's only interested in the two titles listed? No.

But the rest is all your personal opinion and my opinions are completely opposite. The DK2 BLOWS away my 3D Vision setup. I suffer zero eyestrain or motion sickness (the RIFT is vastly superior in the comfort level for me over the horrible 3D Vision shutter glasses... that I only put up with because I love 3D).

As for blurry in motion, that's not supposed to be the case. Unfortunately, DK2 has a very narrow sweet spot in the optics (that all the retail prototypes have addressed). So if your IPD isn't within a narrow window, it's hard to get a clear focus. If you're within that window, however, it absolutely should not be the case.

The other thing that causes blur is if people have their DK2 drop to 60hz. This is common for people using extended + a 60hz monitor. And VR without low-persistence is garbage. But with it, even at 75hz, it's vastly superior to 3D Vision. It should be crystal clear, with creamy OLED response times, and ZERO 3D ghosting).

17. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Gosthing is caused by going below of 75FPS , that's why sometimes racing with many other cars in the grid can be a not so good expercience as racing with few cars or alone.. it depends on your HW.
    I think you're fine with any I5 and at least a 960/70.
    SweetFX as stated above is a must.

And i agree, if you´re not interested in any other title than RF2, DK2 is not worty for you.

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I wear glasses a lot. So the DK2 isn't good with glasses?

Can you explain what you mean? Thanks.

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I think some have trouble with the dk2 ( then dismiss it ) as they try to run graphical setting to high thus sacrificing frame rate
    which in turn usually leads to a bad VR experience

( I cap at 205fps )

also people tend to run their monitor(s) at the highest available resolution setting ( something I never did ) so the lower resolution of the dk2 is an instant total shock ( instead of a semi-shock which which is overcome )

re.glasses , I don't wear glasses, the dk2 does however come with a second set of lenses to try and accomadate most that do

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I wore glasses with DK2 fine.