Wheel gets stuck and keeps pulling the car?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Navigator, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

As I (with help of course ;) ) converted the Edmonton track, I have a problem with two of the walls over there.
    When I drive right past them, not touching them, I get pulled in and have to drive parallel to the wall; I can't get out........

One off the walls, looks like I don't see what should be the outside; I just see the inside and backside; in Blender it looks okay though.
    But both of them looks like this:

[​IMG]

Only one line across it.
    Is that what makes the collision than? So I don't collide, but hang myself up on that line?

If so; can I make more of those lines even in this setting? I mean; with a .gmt already made?

2. Traveller

Traveller Member

Do you mean the diagonal line in the highlight? That is is the hypotenuse of the two triangles that make up that side of the mesh.

Try flipping the normals for that mesh to correct the display of the object in the game. If I remember correctly, that is under the Shading/UVs tab, which is located below the Tools tab on the left side of your screen shot. I don't know if normals are involved in the collision detection routine of the game, but doing this could solve your collision issue as well.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

You are the man!

Ha, without spending 6 hours and asking 1001 questions; I found the buttons and your solution is IT.
    Its now colidable as it should be, very nice.

The texture looks like it is "put on" again for every section of those diagonal parts and still looks like crap, but I don't see that as a problem; unable to finish a race is much worse ;)

Thanks mate!

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry to keep going on this, but I found out that now other parts have the same "thing".
    Problem is; some of those walls are together; I select one in edit mode and somewhere else on the track gets selected too; I didn't do that, they are under the same....ehm.....thing. As in the screenshot; CWALA.005 and then the grey triangle in there; when I click that I get into edit mode.
    Now I don't remember if this was the particular wall, but more of them do that.

So what happens; I "flip normals" for one section, but another section that was okay before, is now acting the weird way.
    Is there a way to just select one part and flip the normals? I did try with the corner selection; right click and keep the ctrl key pressed so you get all the corners you want selected; doesn't work.

But also (and thats the main reason for this screenshot) the textures are wrong; you can see clearly that the picture on the walls (and fence for that matter) is pasted on wrong. When I click edit mode, ups can see each wall section divided by a diagonal line and the picture is pasted on accordingly. That should be in one piece on the whole section, right?
    This happens on more sections of walls and fences and also billboards.
    I tried flipping normals, but that solves nothing.......

How can I fix this?

Very sorry to keep asking and I did search.....but no solution food yet :(

5. Richard E Long

Richard E Long Registered

There is more than one 'thing' going on in your message. I'll try to separate as best I can.

- other parts have the same "thing" -
    My first guess is you mean that the other parts have the triangles in them. But my second guess is the other parts have the flipped normals. Not sure which you mean -- so I'll have to leave it at that until there is more info.

- they are under the same……thing -
    Not sure what 'thing' you are talking about. But if you mean the different sections of wall are a part of the same GMT (the upside-down Y {or the 3 prong propeller} icon), that is normal. A GMT can have multiple meshes, called Objects in may parts of Blender (what you have called the 'yellow or orange triangle'). Also one part of a mesh does not have to be directly connected to another part of a mesh - they are still parts of one Object or mesh. So, yes, you can select a mesh in part of the track and another part of the mesh elsewhere will get selected - totally normal.

I'm assuming the 'grey triangle' you mention is actually the icon for the Object Data level of the GMT's Object / mesh. When you select the Object Data level you do go into Edit Mode.

To select just the polygons in one part of the mesh, first select the Object you want to edit, then you need to go into Face selection mode. Selection mode has 3 states: Vertex, Edge & Face. The 3-way switch is found at the bottom of the 3DView. There are 3 cubes, one with an orange dot, one with an orange line, one with an orange polygon. Move your mouse pointer over the icons and a tool tip will popup after a couple of seconds. Select the Face selection mode. With your wall still selected, click on the first polygon (Face) of the wall section you want to edit. Then shift-click on the additional polygons (Faces) until you have selected all of the section of wall which you want to flip normals. That's how you select one section (set of polygons, also known as, set of Faces) of a mesh.

Concerning "the main reason for this screenshot" - you are now moving into the world of texture mapping or UV mapping or UVW mapping.

"each wall section divided by a diagonal line" - said in 3D language - you are talking about the polygons (Faces) that make up the mesh. In this case those Faces are triangles (in other cases those could be quadrangles or n-gons, collectively known a polygons or polys or faces).

Not sure what you mean by "one piece on the whole section" - but I'll take a guess that you are talking about how the image is UV mapped onto the wall's mesh. Or more specifically, how the texture is UV mapped onto each of the Faces. ("Pasted" is a very vague description of texture mapping, but texture mapping is way more involved than that.) Flipping normals is not going to fix an incorrectly mapped texture. To fix an incorrectly mapped texture, you will need to learn about texture mapping (UV mapping). That's way more than a post can manage.

It would be greatly appreciated if you can take the time to at least learn the labels that belong to each of these areas. Use the hover-over-an-icon trick to get a tooltip in most areas of the Blender interface. We could be much more precise in our responses if we knew what 'thing' you are talking about.

Don't give up, you have come a long way in a short amount of time - but there is still a lot to learn.

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Indeed, my descriptions are crappy.
    Nowadays I read a lot, see a lot of movies and every time I think I know what what is, another read gets me in doubt.
    There are a lot of names in this all and I am pretty insecure; sorry for this.

"The thing" I was talking about, means these (parts off) walls do the same thing the topic was about; getting my wheel stuck and I have to "flip normals" on them.
    But when I click the "grey triangle" (indeed the object I meant) gets more than one object selected; good ones too. So if I flip normals on them, I mess up again another wall.
    So I wanted to select just one of those objects that gets highlighted.

"One piece on the whole section" was meant that the texture should be correct on the object....... now its, well, as you can see; its divided.
    Sorry I can't describe it better.

I will study the uv mapping again! (And the right words of course ;) )

Ow......the screenshot I was talking about isn't even in the post.......wow, I was not drunk.
    That might clear the case a bit as you can see what is wrong:

[​IMG]

7. Emery

Emery Registered

So what I see, with my inexperience, is that you need to re-map the fencing. The right hand two quads are separate objects instead of one. The two panels to the left have 8 separate triangles instead of a single object. So, really, you want all the fence sections to be a single object with the texture tiled across it.

As I look closer, you may have that same problem with the wall.

8. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks Emery, I go sort (or at least try to) that one out!

9. Richard E Long

Richard E Long Registered

Emery is right about the mapping being incorrect in the screenshot. I've seen this happen in 2 or 3 tracks. They have all been old tracks. 2 of them started out as Grand Prix Legends tracks. Not sure where the third started out. Anyway, I'm thinking that 3D tools where pretty basic back then, and some how produced UV mappings that were accepted by rFactor, but not by other 3D software.

There are three options I've used -

1) just export from Blender as is, rFactor 2 seems able to handle these odd mappings. Not always, but in 2 of 3 tracks where I saw this happen, the mapping looked correct in rFactor 2 without doing anything to UV maps in Blender.

2) remap each polygon/face by selecting each face and rotating / reversing the UV Map for that face. I had to do different combinations of rotating & reversing to get that face mapped correctly. And it never was the exactly the same sequence. This one can drive you crazy, but eventually you can get everything back to looking correct in Blender, and it will export correctly. The menu items for UV rotation & reversing are (Mesh : Faces : Rotate UVs) & (Mesh : Faces : Reverse UVs)

3) (the best way) do a complete remap of the fence mesh. keep an eye on the scale of the texture compared to the mesh. Typically what I do is to select the fence mesh, go into Edit mode, make sure fence mesh is high-lighted in orange (Active).
    Then convert the mesh to quads (Mesh : Faces : Tris to Quads),
    reset the UV map (Mesh : UV Unwrap : Reset),
    switch to the UV/Image Editor window,
    map down the length of the fence's quads (Mesh : UV Unwrap : Follow active Quads)

You will need to spend some time getting the feel for these last two processes.

10. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Very clear explanation Richard, thanks for that!

You just missed my post in the Blender/few questions post where I stated it was pretty much okay after I redid the converting of .gmt's with 3dsimed.
    Not useless, though; still found some places last night where this was going on, but a lot is better.

I am pretty confident I can fix this with your input; can't wait till I get home to try ;)

I was busy last night with real road and got that one working; another step made. Not perfect though; I used the tutorial posted by Spaskis (the video) and it seems a bit of a shortcut, but the beginning is there.......baby steps......now I can try to do it better next time/track, right?
    The road is very shiny; almost white because of the sun, so I look into that. I used the stuff from Joesville and that one is proper; should be doable.

Thanks again mate!